Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2018, 09:35 AM

219 posts, read 163,372 times

Advertisements

So nice to see someone that doesn't like Portland! Really, it was a nice place back in the 70s, but is rapidly going downhill.

I have spent most of my life living out in the country. I've spent the last ten years in the suburbs and I want out of here. I'm tired of dealing with bureaucrats. We had two sheriffs stop by to ask why we had a licensed car parked out next to the street for several months. Don't they have something useful to do? I could care less about nightlife and restaurants. I want to be able to sit out on my front porch, drink my tea and listen to the birds sing.

Old 10-22-2018, 02:32 PM

8,938 posts, read 20,360,557 times
We moved from the Front Range of Colorado (Parker). First to Huntersville, NC for a year, then to here in Jacksonville, FL since early 2009. Definitely should have NEVER moved! I fell in ice/snow in the driveway of our house in Colorado, that required rotator cuff surgery. Not thinking that either wife or I could fall anywhere, we sold our house and left. Since living here, I've fallen in the parking lot of our apartment complex and that required rotator cuff surgery and my wife has fallen twice, but no surgery required (thank God). Many folks love Florida, but not us anymore. The heat and combined humidity is a kicker for us. Thought we could handle both, but that hasn't worked out. Way to many people, too much crime and way to much traffic.
Anyway, we miss many, many things we did when we lived in Colorado......rodeo action, elk "rut", Rocky Mountain National Park and seeing all of the farm/ranch land. Florida, the South, the East Coast or the Gulf just isn't for us. We love the Rockies!

So, next year, at age 71/wife and 70/me, we are planning on moving back, but into the northern part this time. Were in Loveland, FC and Cheyenne this past July and really, really liked it. We also really miss freshwater boating and fishing (rainbow trout). Not into the ocean or ocean fishing.

Heck, we still have our winter parkas that we bought when we lived in Colorado. Gloves and boots to. Guess, somehow, we always knew we return.

I'm already retired/SS and, at the time we leave, she will be also, or at least semi, after we get there and settle in.

Old 10-26-2018, 11:51 AM

6,772 posts, read 4,509,156 times
I noticed this is a really old thread. We live in the Charlotte area and absolutely love it. Lived short stints in Orlando FL, Columbus OH, and Cape Cod MA. Those areas had their merits, but we just love Charlotte more and everything about the area. Hope wherever you are now, you're happy!

Old 10-26-2018, 05:56 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,789,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post
I noticed this is a really old thread. We live in the Charlotte area and absolutely love it. Lived short stints in Orlando FL, Columbus OH, and Cape Cod MA. Those areas had their merits, but we just love Charlotte more and everything about the area. Hope wherever you are now, you're happy!
Lucky you! Its on my short list of cities to move to. I'm stuck in Oklahoma City now and trying to get back east where I'm from. This place sucks!!!

Old 10-30-2018, 01:57 PM

4,991 posts, read 5,282,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
Lucky you! Its on my short list of cities to move to. I'm stuck in Oklahoma City now and trying to get back east where I'm from. This place sucks!!!
I loved Tulsa, but I was married with kids. It was a great place for a family. My husband has interviewed for jobs in OKC. I've held my breath each time. It would probably be ok. I don't know that I have the mindset to live there. There would certainly be a period of adjustment. There's nothing really wrong with the place, but it never really clicked for me.

Old 11-01-2018, 07:23 PM

2,868 posts, read 1,148,260 times
Yes. And we're moving back once we sell our house. We're richer for the experiences and discoveries we've made here, though; all is not lost.

Old 11-03-2018, 02:43 PM

1,991 posts, read 899,366 times
Moved from the Lake Effect Snowbelt to the Deepsouth. Got everything I wanted in a move. No snow, low taxes, sunny skies. And I find that I hate it here. First, I traded snow and clouds for hot weather. What I mean is that during the summer I go from my A/ C house to my A/C car to the A/C destination then reverse the process. From April to October it's brutally hot, humid, and buggy, and you never see anyone outside that doesn't "have" to be outside. Second, I traded high taxes for fees. Both voluntary and involuntary. HOA, lawncare, tax on groceries, high electric bills, high water and sewer bills, etc. Long story short, the big cash bonanza I expected when I moved south is not as big as I thought it would be.

But really, when you consider what I posted, I just traded some minor annoyances for others. NBD? Right? So, I think what really bugs me is that there is no (for lack of a better term) watercooler talk about entertainment , world news, or modern life . A comment like, " You guys getting excited about Game of Thrones coming back on?" Draws blank stares. Also, (now that I think about it) there are no nice restaurants here where you can have a quiet dinner. Parents bring their kids regardless of venue or time of day. Kids are great, but I don't want to hear them screaming at the table next to me when I'm trying enjoy a glass of wine . Just a couple of places for adults to dine is not too much to ask for. Is it? Every conversation down here is centered around college football, the church they attend, or children/grandchildren. It works for them, but it doesn't work for me. So yeah, I have regrets.

Now, if you will excuse me, I will leave you so that I can mull over some more of my First World Problems.

Old 11-05-2018, 02:44 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
I do my best to not live with a bunch of regrets, including places where I have lived and it was not to my liking.

Stuff happens, oh well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues