Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2013, 11:00 AM

24 posts, read 42,536 times

Advertisements

Can someone please give me some guidance as to which container moving service I should use.

I am looking at PODS U-Ship, Pack-Rat, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2013, 04:29 PM

1,733 posts, read 2,423,294 times
I am deciding between two right now. Pack Rat and Upack relocube. Pods was $1,000 higher than the others.

Upack is the cheapest and fastest delivery. It requires two of their containers though. They said 2-3 day delivery.

Pack rat is a couple hundred higher, and they are saying 7-10 day delivery. As of right now im leaning toward upack because it will be delivered so much faster. Michigan to North Carolina. What the heck is upack doing with my stuff for a week or more?

Old 01-08-2013, 08:29 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,294,617 times
Also look at Atlas Smartmoves. We used them last summer and were very satisfied. It was much cheaper than regular movers, even though we used their professional movers to load and unload (optional, and would have been even cheaper if we had done it ourselves).

The Atlas vaults were small enough that they can bring 5, plus a bobcat (or some such thing), on a truck. They used the bobcat to bring the vault right up to the door. We used 4 small vaults to move the equivalent of a three-bedroom house.

Mayflower also has containers now, but I don't know anything about them, except that they did not go where we needed to go.

We have used U-Pack in the past, also without problem, but it was a lot more work.

Old 01-10-2013, 08:17 AM

1,601 posts, read 2,133,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkpacific View Post
Can someone please give me some guidance as to which container moving service I should use.

I am looking at PODS U-Ship, Pack-Rat, etc.
I'm using ABF (UPack) and their rates are very reasonable, and they're extremely helpful. Once my move is complete, I'll be sure to make an update on how everything goes.

Old 01-10-2013, 09:52 PM

521 posts, read 4,414,294 times
Before you invest too much time comparing mobile/portable container transportation options, you better first determine of an unattended container/trailer can even be dropped at both you origin and destination address.

Many apartment managers, community associations and municipalities have enacted homeowner covenants and traffic laws which may restrict their use on private property and public access thoroughfares.

Not all container companies service all markets.

Old 01-17-2013, 10:48 AM

11,129 posts, read 9,764,095 times
Do all of them offer storage of the containers for a week or several if needed? We are going to need to stay in a motel or vacation rental for a bit after we arrive and look for a permanent home once we are in the new town. So we won't be able to unpack right away and can't have the containers on the street there.

Old 01-17-2013, 12:57 PM

7,519 posts, read 13,628,157 times
Default Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
Do all of them offer storage of the containers for a week or several if needed? We are going to need to stay in a motel or vacation rental for a bit after we arrive and look for a permanent home once we are in the new town. So we won't be able to unpack right away and can't have the containers on the street there.
ABF Upack definitely offers storage.
Portable Storage Container Options

Old 01-20-2013, 11:50 AM

2,050 posts, read 5,945,387 times
Highly recommend ABF u-pack if they service your area. They were very easy to work with and flexible about drop off dates. When I realized that the pod and we were going to be at our home earlier than anticipated, they fit us in and delivered earlier than they were originally scheduled. Fill it full, bottom to top and back to front. Fill in the spaces with bags full of pillows, bedding, bulky clothing, linens etc. They are very careful, but items do shift.

Old 01-22-2013, 10:17 AM

1,733 posts, read 2,423,294 times
I decided against the relocubes, because they are very small. I am using their regular moving service with a semi. Packrat would have received my business if their transit time wasn't so long. I'm moving in a couple weeks and I will update how it goes. Based on their rave reviews i'm sure it will be fine.

Old 01-25-2013, 09:59 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,294,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
We used Atlas SmartVaults. The price included up to 28 (maybe 30?) days of storage. After that, it would have been a very reasonable daily rate. One advantage of a container is that your stuff doesn't have to be transferred off of (and back onto) a truck, so it is cheaper and there is less risk of things being broken or lost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues