U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2014, 07:52 PM

3,927 posts, read 5,388,038 times

Advertisements

The truck rental company may mandate a trailer. A trailer will pull easily, and has mechanical brakes so you won't be pushed by the trailer.

Just remember to turn wide as the trailer will turn inside your truck turning radius.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2014, 10:25 AM

1 posts, read 7,521 times
bongo (or anyone) I am getting ready to make a trip back down the Alcan shortly. I have a 1995 Itasca 22 foot motorhome with a Big block 460 tied to a 3 speed with OD in it. I was thinking about towing my 2000 Mitsubishi Montero Sport down with me (To Phoenix AZ). I have driven the Alcan once before in the spring in the Montero. You said you towed with a Datsun….how is the climb out there were it is still dirt with the washboard divots? I think I would be OK but that is a lot of weight for that LONG hill. What are your thoughts?

Old 09-23-2014, 11:58 PM

6,611 posts, read 10,019,032 times
For my particular type of car the dolly isn't even an option. It requires the trailer. I'm making my move in 5 days.

Old 03-14-2015, 06:21 PM

1 posts, read 6,865 times
For the original poster, you can always rent a pickup truck from something like uhaul. The truck and a trailer to put your car on. They will make recomendations as to what truck you'll need to haul the car you have, plus furniture and other stuff. Good luck.

Old 03-14-2015, 06:42 PM

6,611 posts, read 10,019,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyde4587 View Post
For the original poster, you can always rent a pickup truck from something like uhaul. The truck and a trailer to put your car on. They will make recomendations as to what truck you'll need to haul the car you have, plus furniture and other stuff. Good luck.
Got it all taken care of. Drove the moving truck with the car 763 miles. Some of those bumps I thought the car would bounce off, but those straps kept the car on there tight, didn't have any issues besides the truck running out of power from carrying over 4,000 lbs worth of goods, trailer, and a 3,440 lb car, couldn't get the thing over 65MPH, and 0-50 took close to 20 seconds.

Old 04-10-2015, 01:39 AM

2 posts, read 10,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Got it all taken care of. Drove the moving truck with the car 763 miles. Some of those bumps I thought the car would bounce off, but those straps kept the car on there tight, didn't have any issues besides the truck running out of power from carrying over 4,000 lbs worth of goods, trailer, and a 3,440 lb car, couldn't get the thing over 65MPH, and 0-50 took close to 20 seconds.
So did you get a 22' or 26' foot truck? I am debating this same question, driving from Houston to Tucson over flat terrain, not sure if it will be too awkward with a larger truck.

Old 04-11-2015, 09:12 AM

2,126 posts, read 4,192,697 times
For what it's worth, my husband just towed a 1985 Dodge 600 ES convertible (K-car type) from Charlotte, NC to Dover, DE yesterday using my 2011 GMC Terrain with a tow package (V6 with heavy duty suspension) and a U-Haul tow dolly and didn't have any problems at all. He made it in about 8.5 hours which is not that much more than average for the trip. Plus each of the cars had some things packed in them, although he did make sure that they weren't too heavy, especially the tow car. Most of the trip was on interstates, but did have a bit of 2 lane in MD and DE.

Old 04-12-2015, 11:24 AM

10,915 posts, read 9,886,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breakingbad View Post
I've moved many times and I always rent a trailer to hitch on the back of the Penske. Drive your car on it, secure it and drive safely. You'll be fine.
I agree. Just be sure to check the "technology" that fastens the car to the trailer...often when you start out and, then, after you are sure it is secure, every time you stop for gas, or if you feel the car moving on the trailer when you accelerate or brake. You will be able to sense this due to the inertial force of a slightly loose vehicle when you accelerate or brake.

Old 04-12-2015, 03:21 PM

2,126 posts, read 4,192,697 times
I also forgot to mention that he towed the same convertible car from western PA to Charlotte, NC using a tow dolly behind a 26' Penske truck and also didn't have any problems. Well other than to remember that when he stopped he had to park somewhere that he could just keep pulling through because he couldn't back up the trailer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rothbear View Post
For what it's worth, my husband just towed a 1985 Dodge 600 ES convertible (K-car type) from Charlotte, NC to Dover, DE yesterday using my 2011 GMC Terrain with a tow package (V6 with heavy duty suspension) and a U-Haul tow dolly and didn't have any problems at all. He made it in about 8.5 hours which is not that much more than average for the trip. Plus each of the cars had some things packed in them, although he did make sure that they weren't too heavy, especially the tow car. Most of the trip was on interstates, but did have a bit of 2 lane in MD and DE.

Old 04-12-2015, 04:19 PM

3,296 posts, read 5,067,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redandjuicy View Post
So did you get a 22' or 26' foot truck? I am debating this same question, driving from Houston to Tucson over flat terrain, not sure if it will be too awkward with a larger truck.
Houston to Tucson is not flat terrain. After you get past SATX (elevation there is ~700 feet), it just gradually keeps going up from there. ELP is 4200 elevation. You're going to hit some stretches of I-10 that will test that truck.

I've done this drive in a car before as well as a 26' foot truck with trailer and car on the trailer. It's not fun to see the gas gauge go down like that.

Personally, I don't think it will be awkward.

If you can, I would drive overnight, you have a few advantage:

-less traffic
-cooler weather would get slightly better milieage
-easier seeing traffic in your blindspots due to their headlights

Of course, if you're not a night person, then disregard.

Have you decided where you're going to stop at for the night? I personally just stop at truck stops to sleep when I'm driving by myself. If the wife is with me then we'll go to a hotel.

Only semi-decent size city where it doesn't seem scary after you're west of SATX are Kerrville and Fort Stockton until you hit Van Horn and then ELP. Big city after ELP is Las Cruces, NM. There isn't much between Deming, NM and Tucson, AZ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues