U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 10:18 AM

2 posts, read 10,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
Houston to Tucson is not flat terrain. After you get past SATX (elevation there is ~700 feet), it just gradually keeps going up from there. ELP is 4200 elevation. You're going to hit some stretches of I-10 that will test that truck.

I've done this drive in a car before as well as a 26' foot truck with trailer and car on the trailer. It's not fun to see the gas gauge go down like that.

Personally, I don't think it will be awkward.

If you can, I would drive overnight, you have a few advantage:

-less traffic
-cooler weather would get slightly better milieage
-easier seeing traffic in your blindspots due to their headlights

Of course, if you're not a night person, then disregard.

Have you decided where you're going to stop at for the night? I personally just stop at truck stops to sleep when I'm driving by myself. If the wife is with me then we'll go to a hotel.

Only semi-decent size city where it doesn't seem scary after you're west of SATX are Kerrville and Fort Stockton until you hit Van Horn and then ELP. Big city after ELP is Las Cruces, NM. There isn't much between Deming, NM and Tucson, AZ.
We will probably stop in Ft Stockton. What do you do with a van full of stuff while you are in the hotel? It seems like a great target for thieves
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2015, 11:34 AM

2,002 posts, read 2,964,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redandjuicy View Post
We will probably stop in Ft Stockton. What do you do with a van full of stuff while you are in the hotel? It seems like a great target for thieves
Put a good lock on the rear door handle. I made a trip from Arkansas to Denver over Raton Pass in a Ryder 26 foot'er hauling motorcycles pulling a trailer with a pick up on it. I had no problems at all. I slept in the back with the motorcycles at a campground in Amarillo.

Old 05-08-2015, 02:53 AM

4,221 posts, read 3,453,422 times
Quote:
Houston to Tucson is not flat terrain.
It flattens out considerably once you get to Ozona.

Quote:
You're going to hit some stretches of I-10 that will test that truck.
The worst of it is around Kerrville and Junction. Although it's been a few years since I've been past Ft. Stockton, if memory serves, there's some climbing to be done in western NM and eastern AZ before you get to Texas Canyon.

Quote:
There isn't much between Deming, NM and Tucson, AZ.
That's an understatement.

Old 10-05-2016, 08:13 AM

1 posts, read 2,300 times
Can a 1500 4 wd truck use a dolly from u haul to tow a honda accord 2001?

Old 10-05-2016, 08:55 AM

1 posts, read 2,416 times
If your car is front wheel drive, go with a dolly.

If not, go with a trailer.

more tips here: Movers Louisville KY Blog - Movers Louisville KY

Old 10-05-2016, 12:58 PM

11,116 posts, read 16,810,713 times
Put the car on a smaller flat bed; my friend did that with a Penske truck, rented the flatbed from them to haul his Kia Soul from the northeast down to Melbourne FL. Then he paid for the airline ticket for the driver to fly home. Way to go.

Old 10-05-2016, 04:40 PM

6,806 posts, read 19,815,937 times
Depending on the distance from point A to B buy a car trailer for around $1200 $$ or so and then sell it later on.

Those gravel chips can do a number even with a dolly being used.

A car to a car is okay while the trucks with their larger tires or with Duals can be an issue.

I have towed a few hundred miles so did have a little experience.....actually a multi state 28 day vacation.

Old 03-18-2019, 01:47 PM

2 posts, read 1,720 times
I am moving from Houston to Chicago this coming weekend and will be getting a uhaul truck. I intend moving my 2014 Honda Accord which is AWD so I am guessing a trailer will be my best bet based on all the comments thus far. Still not sure what to do around the tolls. Hopefully, Uhaul has a toll pass device I could rent. Any general recommendations will be appreciated. Being in the states for just 10 yrs thus far with less road trip experience, I am sure I could use some of your recommendations. Appreciate your time.

Old 03-18-2019, 04:36 PM

6,235 posts, read 10,057,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aigcliff View Post
I am moving from Houston to Chicago this coming weekend and will be getting a uhaul truck. I intend moving my 2014 Honda Accord which is AWD so I am guessing a trailer will be my best bet based on all the comments thus far. Still not sure what to do around the tolls. Hopefully, Uhaul has a toll pass device I could rent. Any general recommendations will be appreciated. Being in the states for just 10 yrs thus far with less road trip experience, I am sure I could use some of your recommendations. Appreciate your time.
U-Haul does not provide transponders or passes. If you go thru an EZ-Pass-type toll, Uhaul gets billed, and then they charge you later.

Read more details at their FAQ here:
https://www.uhaul.com/FrequentlyAske...And-Citations/

What toll roads do you plan on using ? What town or area is your ultimate destination ?
Most tolls on the TriState Tollway around Chicago (I-94/294) can be paid in cash. https://www.illinoistollway.com/toll...n#RatesByPlaza

Old 03-18-2019, 05:51 PM

2 posts, read 1,720 times
Thanks for the info. Schaumburg, IL is the destination.

The highways I am more concerned about are the US 59N and I-30E.

I have been told my IL transponder won't work in Texas, Arkansas, and Missouri
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues