Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 06:47 AM

1,018 posts, read 3,379,197 times

Advertisements

has anyone moved from a cold place to a really sunny, hot place (arizona, florida, texas, etc) and moved back because of the extreme heat?

I live in washington state and I wish for more sun, as I get depressed in the winter. if you are one of those folks who moved south for the sun, cant take the heat, and then moved back, please tell me your experiences/feelings about it.

everytime there is sun here, i love it, but i never been in a situation where it is 100 degrees or more. to me, seeing the sun is heaven, but then i can imagine a place being too hot and it feels like being in hell, if oyu know what i mean
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2013, 07:07 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,092,947 times
Why the extreme? Why not fine a nice place that has 4 seasons or even a more 3 season location with moderate temps. Not familiar with the left coast but parts of NC for example do not experience the cold winters that we do in the middle Atlantic states, winter is shorter, spring, summer and fall longer than here. Don't get me wrong unless you head into the deep south is will get cold but I am referring to the snow. I don't think based upon the OP you need such a drastic switch but rather a more moderate climate for you and your family.

Old 02-22-2013, 07:07 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,907,004 times
I grew up in Wisconsin and have lived in Texas now for 16 years. My advice would be to find someplace sunnier, but not quite so hot. Day after day of 95+ can get to you, especially the first few years. Every summer, I think about moving a little farther north.

Old 02-22-2013, 07:55 AM

3,848 posts, read 7,957,605 times
Have you tried places like SO. Ca or maybe the Carolinas? I don't know if it would be the heat as much as the humidity for you. I live in south Fla where we can get 100+ degree's with 100% humidity for months sometimes and that would be too extreme but Cali might have a more mild summer for you to enjoy

Old 02-22-2013, 07:59 AM

1,216 posts, read 1,462,950 times
Good thread civic, something I worry about too. I need the sun more than I get here in Northern NY, but I also need more heat. Grandparents live in Myrtle now but even their winters seem too cold, sometimes they have stretches in the 40s. I can handle stretches in the 50s or 60s but not the 40s. But I don't want the triple digit summers either.

I really see Hawaii or the Caribbean as the only solution

Old 02-22-2013, 08:14 AM

1,018 posts, read 3,379,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaleyRocks View Post
Good thread civic, something I worry about too. I need the sun more than I get here in Northern NY, but I also need more heat. Grandparents live in Myrtle now but even their winters seem too cold, sometimes they have stretches in the 40s. I can handle stretches in the 50s or 60s but not the 40s. But I don't want the triple digit summers either.

I really see Hawaii or the Caribbean as the only solution
Ive lived in boston for more than a decade, i know about the cold too. the only thing is that i never experienced extreme heat, i mean there are heat waves in the east coast, but i bet its nothing like 110 degrees in arizona.

Old 02-22-2013, 08:38 AM

6,472 posts, read 6,668,763 times
I'll have to get back to you on this in a few months! I moved to Louisiana this past September (after spending my entire life in various northern and midwestern states), and I have loved the fall and winter beyond words! But the locals keep telling me "Oh, you just wait until summer!" I think that no amount of heat and humidity can be as bad as blizzards and snow-shoveling in sub-zero temperatures. And I'm no stranger to 100+ temps and high humidity in the midwest. So I really am curious to see how I feel about the south come July!

Old 02-22-2013, 08:45 AM

831 posts, read 1,963,957 times
Moved from NY/CT to NC -

I love winter. LOVED winter. I like sunny cold days with snow or gray days with snow, I like the atmosphere of a warm fireplace, hot chocolate, the silence of snow falling and the starkness of black, leafless trees on a white landscape. I like the way the sky is always a dusty purple the night of a snowfall.

So what do we do? Move to the polar opposite. The way people feel about winter elsewhere (SAD) is the way I feel about spring, summer and fall in NC.

Spring starts on time, that's nice.

Summer starts early, ends late, and is like that last drunken fool at your party who doesn't know when to give it up and go home already. Open your front door at 4.30am (my husband leaves at this hour) and the heat and humidity are like a sledgehammer in the face.

Fall? Who knows, it's not really been seen in the time I've been here. I think it's a myth. (lack of deciduous trees vs. evergreen). But it's hot for me. Sweat through your Halloween costume, wear shorts some years to pick out Christmas trees.

If I ever get the chance to move back? I95-N needs to clear out because I will be like a freight train with no brakes.

Old 02-22-2013, 08:45 AM

526 posts, read 898,437 times
it's a lot sunnier just over the Cascades

Old 02-22-2013, 10:08 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,861,175 times
I moved from northwest Arkansas to a mountain town in western Colorado. Lots of sunny days, no humidity, and being at 7,000 feet there were just a few days where it was 90 degrees. Even snowed one July 4th. Stupidly, I moved 60 miles away to a "high desert" area. Summer HOT windy and 100 degrees or more every single day. Worst mistake I ever made. I'm moving back to the mountains this summer. I learned once you find a place you like, stay put.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues