Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2013, 09:19 AM

102 posts, read 245,861 times

Advertisements

Issue : There is a place available. It's 35k. It's livable but outdated. No insulation, aside from some foam wrap under the siding, old windows (at least has storm windows too), knob and tube wiring, has appliances. Nothing fancy but they all work. Place has a basement too. Plenty of space for me and even a woman if the future holds that. The problems are the fact that it would need some updating as time goes to make it more efficient, and the owner has the sheds filled up for the time being with no deadline of cleaning them up. But reasonable on the payments, where there is no mortgage, just rent to own.

The second idea is to get some land and build. The idea would be to build to fit my needs, so nothing huge or exotic. This would make materials cheap. There is going to be a big cost in getting hookups to electricity, and possibly water. I'd like to do well and septic system - however not sure how capable of those I am, and they run about 10k a piece around here I heard. I'm sure if I offered to do all the work I could, it would help some on those costs. The construction would be done by myself and some general contractor buddies. Most likely build as I go, or build off of credit card debt because a mortgage is out of the question at age 19.

Which one seems like the better idea?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2013, 01:03 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTSNicholas View Post
Issue :
There is a place available. It's 35k. It's livable but outdated.
Is it watertight? Does it have all the utilities connected?
Good well and septic in place (if not on public wtr and swr)?

Any issues/problems with old wells tanks or septic system?
Any liens or other encumbrances on the property?
Quote:
Which one seems like the better idea?
Because your choices aren't limited to just these two polar opposites...
I'm not biting. Hint: neither one is a better idea.

Old 02-25-2013, 10:44 PM

102 posts, read 245,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Is it watertight? Does it have all the utilities connected?
Good well and septic in place (if not on public wtr and swr)?

Any issues/problems with old wells tanks or septic system?
Any liens or other encumbrances on the property?

Because your choices aren't limited to just these two polar opposites...
I'm not biting. Hint: neither one is a better idea.
The house is water tight, has all utilities, has a septic tank - it's old...but still works.

No liens, etc. 35k and it's mine basically. The buildings on the property will be mine as they are gradually cleaned out.

Old 02-26-2013, 11:04 AM

5,035 posts, read 9,224,159 times
Sorry, but I don't trust rent-to-own and I wouldn't invest one single dime in a place if I wasn't the legal owner.

Old 02-26-2013, 07:07 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
If the house has a septic tank and you think you might end up buying the property, ask the owner to have the septic inspected. If the place is old, the tank could be in bad shape. For the property to change hands, it might have to be updated according to current codes. Or it could have been installed improperly. A septic and/or well are in the long run costly issues.

I don't like either of your choices. I'd keep looking.

If you have a place built, then you will be engaged for a year or so. It will more expensive than you imagine. Talk to a lender about how a construction loan works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues