Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2013, 09:24 PM

41 posts, read 89,008 times

Advertisements

I'm 22 and currently in the Mississippi NG. I live in the Jackson area and have been my entire life..I strongly dislike it for obvious reasons. I'm trying to get into a COTA (OT Assistant school) and/or Nursing program come this August. After I graduate and pass boards I'd love to relocate to California. What's the best way of accomplishing this? I keep hearing that companies usually do not hire people from out of state? Any truth to that? Also I have about $2,000 saved up so far but will have more in two years time. If worse comes to worse I'll just move out there until I find work and live off my savings. I just really want to get out of Mississippi. How would you go about this? Any advice would help me out and give me a different insight. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2013, 07:10 AM

2,516 posts, read 5,692,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onthego24 View Post
I'm 22 and currently in the Mississippi NG. I live in the Jackson area and have been my entire life..I strongly dislike it for obvious reasons. I'm trying to get into a COTA (OT Assistant school) and/or Nursing program come this August. After I graduate and pass boards I'd love to relocate to California. What's the best way of accomplishing this? I keep hearing that companies usually do not hire people from out of state? Any truth to that? Also I have about $2,000 saved up so far but will have more in two years time. If worse comes to worse I'll just move out there until I find work and live off my savings. I just really want to get out of Mississippi. How would you go about this? Any advice would help me out and give me a different insight. Thanks
It's true, it's very difficult to obtain employment from out of state unless you are in a specialized field where the number of applicants is small. Most hiring managers have plenty of qualified candidates that are local, so there is little motivation to take a risk on an out of state applicant. People get homesick and sometimes bail after 3 months, 6 months or even a year to return to their hometowns.
However, Nursing makes you mobile and allots some flexibility. You should have an easier time finding a job than the average person in the workforce. I would see about chatting with the nurses over on the Indeed message boards. They could probably offer some information on something like this. I know my Aunt was a Nurse and worked for a company that would send her out of state to work at Hospitals that needed Nurses. The last one was Las Vegas I believe. Not sure how the assignments were chosen or how long they lasted, I know some lasted months. Since I don't know what the particulars are, I'm not much help, but I know she loved it. I'd ask her who she worked for but I don't know how to reach her. Because like you, we are from Mississippi and I got out as fast as I could (joined the Army at age 17). I lost contact with her and many relatives after my father passed away a few years ago. My whole point for bringing that up is, it may be another potential resource to help you accomplish your goal.

What part of California are you looking to move to?

*edit*
When you say Mississippi NG I assume you mean National Guard. You know you can transfer from Mississippi NG to California NG through your chain of command? Have you thought about that?

Old 03-04-2013, 07:24 AM

Yes I'm national guard. I'm supposed to ETS September 14. My mos is 31 bravo. Military polic I'd like to reclass to a combat medic MOS to go along with my civilian work.

Old 03-04-2013, 03:15 PM

5,025 posts, read 7,465,214 times
Worse case scenario - what about getting a job, whatever you can get, with a chain hotel, restaurant etc where you live now. When you're ready to move, ask to be transferred? That way you'd at least have some type of job when you got there?
Best of luck!

Old 03-04-2013, 08:34 PM

50 posts, read 163,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onthego24 View Post
I am in the same situation but from different states. Cali residents have responded to me when I asked about CA with good feedbacks (the ones who know the real deal) . . . If it must be for your profession and cali is the must place - then don't even worry about considering anything other than saving up more than $2k.

what i have heard from - again (experienced and cali residents) - if you don't have a car - it's going to be tough - some are saying public transportation is 'ok' there but I had a car all my life in VA and it's not easy getting around if the public transportation isn't that great (when you used to having one most of your life) . . . if you have a car - that's a +. and if you don't you gotta live certain areas to make public transportation WORK (as in some what easily accessible).

2) housing is more expensive than other states. if your going to roommate even that is so - but if you are willing to - just add $100-200 more than any others. (my extensive research) and that came out to be very true. I am saying "safe" and residential areas. if your ok with less than that - rent will go down and that's due to obvious reasons. that you can research depending on your budget.
*job - no one can tell you - that is up to you and kind of luck if you are doing out of state - unless liek the other person stated - it's a profession or a skill trait where it can be used anywhere.

3) so two main things - but again - if your desire and heart is there (must be cali or anywhere other than MISS to fullfill it) you can make it happen. I am 28 and even now it's kinda hard to pull the trigger so while you have more youth - i say go for it as long as the two don't hinder ya.

GL - plan accordingly - but more than 2k is def recommended. and keep at it with thsi forum - the ones who know what they are talking about really help with great insights.

Old 03-04-2013, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirouline View Post
I am in the same situation but from different states. Cali residents have responded to me when I asked about CA with good feedbacks (the ones who know the real deal) . . . If it must be for your profession and cali is the must place - then don't even worry about considering anything other than saving up more than $2k.

what i have heard from - again (experienced and cali residents) - if you don't have a car - it's going to be tough - some are saying public transportation is 'ok' there but I had a car all my life in VA and it's not easy getting around if the public transportation isn't that great (when you used to having one most of your life) . . . if you have a car - that's a +. and if you don't you gotta live certain areas to make public transportation WORK (as in some what easily accessible).

2) housing is more expensive than other states. if your going to roommate even that is so - but if you are willing to - just add $100-200 more than any others. (my extensive research) and that came out to be very true. I am saying "safe" and residential areas. if your ok with less than that - rent will go down and that's due to obvious reasons. that you can research depending on your budget.
*job - no one can tell you - that is up to you and kind of luck if you are doing out of state - unless liek the other person stated - it's a profession or a skill trait where it can be used anywhere.

3) so two main things - but again - if your desire and heart is there (must be cali or anywhere other than MISS to fullfill it) you can make it happen. I am 28 and even now it's kinda hard to pull the trigger so while you have more youth - i say go for it as long as the two don't hinder ya.

GL - plan accordingly - but more than 2k is def recommended. and keep at it with thsi forum - the ones who know what they are talking about really help with great insights.
Thanks for the feedback. I know 2 grand is not much for savings. Whats a good number to have put away for immediate access in your opinion?? I've had some setbacks this past year financially. I do own a car so that won't be an issue. I guess I'm just more concerned about finding employment out in California as opposed to income coming in. If I can just gain employment in Nursing and/or OT out there the rest will fall into place I believe

Old 03-05-2013, 05:47 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,211,340 times
Try to have six months of expenses saved. This would include rent, food, gas, etc. You will have to research how much rent would cost you, if you say, rented on a month to month basis. Trust me when I tell you that it costs more to rent a place than you expect.

Is there any way to finish your course of study in California?

Old 03-06-2013, 07:51 AM

327 posts, read 527,189 times
Based on what I've been hearing, six months is the "old advice".

The average job search these days takes significantly longer.

YMMV, esp. if you're qualified to work in a high demand field.

Best of luck in making your move!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues