Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 07:35 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,913,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nesser01 View Post
No. We don't. My husband was the carrier for insurace before he got laid off, and we decided that because, We don't haven any regular health issues, it was better for us to be without it for a while. Even though it's required in Ma, it's was cheaper for us to pay the fine, than to have to dish out all that cash for something we probably wouldn't use. My son had his annual checkup, clean bill of health and we paid $100. So insurance isn't an issue.
If you don't mind my asking: What state are you interested in? ( I live in the Boston area, BTW); I wonder if it's also a cost-of-living issue..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2013, 07:36 PM

4,005 posts, read 4,104,386 times
Nesser01: In November, I was working a full-time job when my relationship went south. In January, I packed my things and moved to an economically hard-hit state (back home) without a job. It was tough not working, since I've never been unemployed since I was 16 (and I'm old now, so it's been a long time LOL). I recently got hired at a very nice company.

Am I making a six-figure salary? Nope. Am I interested in doing that? Nope. I'm just a regular gal, simply wanting to be able to take care of myself. I'm not driven to get the next best whatever, nor do I strive to be the first to buy the next best whatever.

Sometimes events in life intersection and you have to ask yourself if that is the opportunity you've been looking for. Your child isn't in school yet, so you aren't "pulling him out", your husband is getting interest from other employers located elsewhere, there aren't any job openings where you are, and your lease is going to be up.

My suggestion is to research as much as you can about the place you are interested in. Figure out a budget, and find out how much different items will cost. If moving is going to take you away from family, that might be something you have to gear up for.

There's an old saying, Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Good luck with whatever you decide,
meta

Old 04-08-2013, 07:44 PM

I'm thinking that her husband might be able to interview for openings without having to relocate first, although they seem prepared to move regardless of this condition..

If there truly isn't anything to hold you there, and you're all on the same page, then perhaps relocation would be the best thing. Especially now that the spring has arrived, and the weather would be more accommodating. If the economic opportunity is really limited in your current location, then you probably don't have much choice anyway..

Old 04-08-2013, 07:45 PM

20 posts, read 35,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metamorphosis View Post
Nesser01: In November, I was working a full-time job when my relationship went south. In January, I packed my things and moved to an economically hard-hit state (back home) without a job. It was tough not working, since I've never been unemployed since I was 16 (and I'm old now, so it's been a long time LOL). I recently got hired at a very nice company.

Am I making a six-figure salary? Nope. Am I interested in doing that? Nope. I'm just a regular gal, simply wanting to be able to take care of myself. I'm not driven to get the next best whatever, nor do I strive to be the first to buy the next best whatever.

Sometimes events in life intersection and you have to ask yourself if that is the opportunity you've been looking for. Your child isn't in school yet, so you aren't "pulling him out", your husband is getting interest from other employers located elsewhere, there aren't any job openings where you are, and your lease is going to be up.

My suggestion is to research as much as you can about the place you are interested in. Figure out a budget, and find out how much different items will cost. If moving is going to take you away from family, that might be something you have to gear up for.

There's an old saying, Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Good luck with whatever you decide,
meta
Thanks for your insight! We're just regular people too. We're just scared to death because we've never been in a situation like this , but we are ready for an adventure and ready for a change. I'm a planner, so I've researched, everything, (I think) and my husband who's better at math than me, figured out the budget, so I think we will be fine. It's mostly just a matter or when, where and how.

Old 04-08-2013, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
If you don't mind my asking: What state are you interested in? ( I live in the Boston area, BTW); I wonder if it's also a cost-of-living issue..
We're looking at Texas, Dallas area. We both have a few former coworkers that grew up there, came to Mass for a few years and went back. From what I've researched, it seems to be a better fit. As beautiful as New England is, winter makes us both severely depressed so we would preferably be where there is very little snow.

Old 04-08-2013, 07:55 PM

Quote:
We're looking at Texas, Dallas area. We both have a few former coworkers that grew up there, came to Mass for a few years and went back. From what I've researched, it seems to be a better fit. As beautiful as New England is, winter makes us both severely depressed so we would preferably be where there is very little snow.
The cost of housing ( buying, that is) is quite low, so that could work in your favor, eventually. The long, hot summers (5-6 months, 100 days over 90, etc) are another matter..

I suppose that I would get in touch with the old co-workers, and get their honest opinions. The cost-of-living in MA, esp the Boston area, is outrageous, although a bit better in Worcester and Springfield..

Old 04-08-2013, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
The cost of housing ( buying, that is) is quite low, so that could work in your favor, eventually. The long, hot summers (5-6 months, 100 days over 90, etc) are another matter..

I suppose that I would get in touch with the old co-workers, and get their honest opinions. The cost-of-living in MA, esp the Boston area, is outrageous, although a bit better in Worcester and Springfield..
Yeah. Cost of living is one issue. At this rate we will be renting for the rest of our life and we don't want that. I've emailed one of them, already. I know it's hot but that is something I'm willing to compromise. My husband hates snow worse than me, so he's ready to move. I realize that no place is going to be perfect and that I'm going to have to compromise one thing over the other.

Old 04-08-2013, 09:00 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,477,758 times
Quote:
No. That is not an issue and no, we don't have any family living anywhere except where we live. I have one sister that lives in California but that is not a state that we are considering. My husband was thinking, Dallas, TX but we will move anywhere at this point.
Your husband, and you, are smart. TX has the fast growing economy save ND because of oil. I have considered going there myself.

Old 04-08-2013, 09:24 PM

2,707 posts, read 2,837,307 times
nesser01, everything metamorphosis said is something you really should consider before committing to your decision. After zeroing in on where you want to go, then get online, and try to get all the info you can about the place. We have moved cross-country twice in 4 years, and both times I even went so far as to call the utility companies, and the chamber of commerce in the towns we were looking to go to, and try to pick their brain about utility average cost, insurance(auto), food costs, or anything pertinent to us living there. By the time we were ready to go to the place, I had pretty well mapped out our budget. As far as your job situation, I can't compare my move to yours, since I'm in retirement and have a pension. I will throw this out there, though, even though I don't know what type of work your husband is looking for, but he may be able to get on with the County in some capacity if you make it to Dallas. I retired from a county in Texas, and the retirement is ample, and with the option I took, it is for life, for me and my wife and it is a defined benefit program. Not a 401, or anything like that, that might go up in smoke. Plus I carried full insurance benefits for as long as I pay the premiums. Don't know if this helps any, but remember, like meta said " nothing ventured, nothing gained."
Best of luck

Old 04-09-2013, 07:41 AM

2,516 posts, read 5,686,789 times
Moving without a job is more common than moving with one lined up. It takes a specific skillset to land a job from out of state. Employers don't like taking a risk on someone who is not local. There are usually plenty of local candidates fighting over a position, not to mention, it is not uncommon for transients to succumb to homesickness and go back to where they came from 6 months in. If you are not finding work locally, then moving to a better location may be just what you need.

As for possible relocation suggestions, are there any places you and your husband have visited that appeal to you? Before you take a gamble on Dallas, know this. People from Dallas, love it here regardless and will not speak ill of it. Speaking about Texas to a Texan will draw their ire. They don't like you pointing out the negatives or bad in the area and chose to pretend it's the perfect place on earth. Just thought I'd throw that out there since it sounds like former coworkers from this area told you about it. I'd bet my paycheck they spoke as if it's this wonderful place.

Those of us not from here, generally don't like it unless you're one of the few that wants to be a soccer mom in the suburbs, enjoy scortching heat and religion. Then it may be up your alley.

The good: housing and rentals are cheaper than say places like LA, NY, SF, SEA, and several others. The cost of living here isn't too bad either, it's affordable. The job market here is also better than a lot of comparable cities from what I hear.

The bad: Brutal summers. Expect triple digits in June, July, August or even September. November can see below freezing, only to hit the 90's a week later. Very weird weather. In Jan and Feb we usually get 1-3 ice storms that essentially shut the city down. I know you live in the NE where it snows and such, but here, they don't put salt or any chem on the roads, they dump sand and no one knows how to drive on it. Everything closes. Meanwhile the electric companies began shutting off the electricity for brief periods, cycling it. That's right. Below freezing and they kill the power claiming the deman is too high despite increased tax hikes to pay for upgrades in 2010.
Topography - ugly ugly ugly. It's flat, and the tree's are pretty small. A few lakes that are always crowded, I believe some are man made.
There's not much to do here and you have to drive a long ways to get anywhere else that may be appealing. The ocean, mountains, etc area all far away. People who love to camp tend to either drive up to Oklahoma, or drive down to South or East Texas before the heat hits. Activities in this town are food and drink. Most of which are franchise and chains. Not many independent places. If you're a coffee lover, you'll have to settle for Starbucks. If you are into beer, there are some decent microbrews but most of the bars don't carry them. You have to seek out specific places.
allergies - wasn't an allergy sufferer for the most part until I moved here. Like many, my life here has been hell due to the allergies. I stay congested and I've had 3 tumors removed from my ears leaving me with well below normal hearing. I've got a few friends not from the area that are plagued with the same misery. Something to do with the location, according to my Allergist. Its this affliction that has left me trapped here as every time I save up to move away, I end up in the hospital due to this ongoing issue.
Sprawling suburbs - Dallas is like a mini-LA in that it's a bit cosmo, but without the diversity, open mindedness, and recreational activities.
A lot of people complain about the religous people here as we are in the South. Since i'm from the bible belt, it's tame here for me. For some though, it's annoying. You will encounter it in the work place among other places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues