Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 07:21 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,477,758 times

Advertisements

I would hire the moving company or hire some cash strapped athletes from the local HS, as long as they aren't gang bangers. I grew up in So Cal have relatives that live in Pomona and Upland and the neighborhood has taken a real nose dive over the last 30 years.

Maybe you could hire an off duty cab driver or bus driver you would know they can drive safely. Have them shadow the truck if you are so concerned.

If your stuff is nice get the money together for insurance because moving companies don't include that and get a fixed price in writing. Moving companies are notorious for screwing people most often on long haul moves just get it in writing no estimates! Fixed price or walk!

Yes HB is much nicer than Pomona and you have all summer to enjoy the beach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2013, 07:23 PM

4,005 posts, read 4,103,914 times
I had a lot of stuff when I moved - a lot of large furniture. A 17' truck was rented for my move. The U-haul website might be able to give you some help with figuring out the size truck you need.

I guess if I was unsure, I'd find the dimensions of the truck, get a tape measure and measure out the size to determine if it looked like it would work.

As far as worrying about your stuff, you could get a padlock, lock the truck when it's packed, and unlock it when it arrives at the destination.

Old 04-16-2013, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metamorphosis View Post
you could get a padlock, lock the truck when it's packed, and unlock it when it arrives at the destination.
That's a good idea. Most times movers are sloppy don't pack well and break stuff. I haven't heard of them stealing stuff. So if you are concerned pack it yourself, if you are physically able, or hire someone because that would be the critical piece. Any breakables go in the car you are in.

Old 04-16-2013, 07:32 PM

84 posts, read 216,006 times
We don't have valuable stuff, we poor anyways, LOL! Just concern if the TV screen broke, we have no TV to watch.

We thinking of rent UHaul truck and hire driver to drive the truck, since it probably be cheaper that way than rent the whole moving company package.

Is insurance expensive? This is our first time moving. We been in USA 20 years and we have live in this city for 20 years. Now the neighborhood just getting very bad, and I just wish if I can get out, I just get out. Especially my parents are older now, they want a better city for their old age.

Thanks so much for all the advice, first time moving is so stressful, sometimes I think if it is worth it to move.

Old 04-16-2013, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA84 View Post
We don't have valuable stuff, we poor anyways, LOL! Just concern if the TV screen broke, we have no TV to watch.

We thinking of rent UHaul truck and hire driver to drive the truck, since it probably be cheaper that way than rent the whole moving company package.

Is insurance expensive? This is our first time moving. We been in USA 20 years and we have live in this city for 20 years. Now the neighborhood just getting very bad, and I just wish if I can get out, I just get out. Especially my parents are older now, they want a better city for their old age.

Thanks so much for all the advice, first time moving is so stressful, sometimes I think if it is worth it to move.
Skip the insurance then and go U haul with hired driver good idea!

Old 04-16-2013, 07:45 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,057,839 times
Your credit card may include insurance with the rental. What kind of TV is it? You could always get a cheap one off Craigslist as well if something happened to it.

Old 04-16-2013, 07:58 PM

84 posts, read 216,006 times
Old TV that we buy ten-twenty years ago when we first arrived to USA, lol. We have 3 old TV, those 4:3 screen TV that pretty much nobody used anymore nowadays, pretty big to move since it old TV and 30"

Any advice on packing items with breakable screen such like computer monitor, TV, dishes, mirrors? Thanks everyone for being patience with me, first time move so I have a lot of questions and confuse.

Old 04-16-2013, 08:04 PM

We save bubble wrap, my wife does, for just this reason it's expensive. Try and buy packing supplies from a stationary store or big box store the prices at U Haul for this stuff is $$$. Kinda like buying a soft drink at the gas station you get ripped off.

Old 04-17-2013, 03:45 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,187,182 times
I'm sorry but I think hiring someone you don't know and having them drive your property in a truck you rented and are responsible for is asking for trouble.

Old 04-17-2013, 06:19 AM

50,362 posts, read 63,948,892 times
I feel for you, and I know how stressful moving can be, even without the hardships you have. My advise is to get rid of as much unnecessary stuff as you can before you move. For a short move like this, hire professionals, like "Two Men and a Truck", for example. They will know how to load and unload your things safely.
Hire a person who you can trust to drive the three of you. I would rather see you post a notice at a few churches, or at a senior center to find a driver. Craigs List opens you up to crazies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues