Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 08:35 PM

1,642 posts, read 4,094,021 times

Advertisements

I am planning a move soon from a 1b apt to an apt 2 miles away. I doubt Ill be able to do it my self and have never used movers. Any advice on cost and their procedures would be very helpful. I have 2 liing room chairs, sofa, bed, bunkbed, several bookcases and small tables, 75 gal aquaruim (drained), 2 medium tvs, clothes/linens, and lots of smaller boxes. Ill be checking the thread, thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2013, 08:43 PM

84 posts, read 216,068 times
Just 2 miles away? It is not far! Hire local movers can help with the loading your stuff. If your area have UHaul rent their truck, I think their price is reasonable, and since you can drive, why not just drive it, just 2 miles.

I'm a first time mover too, but mine is 60 miles away, lol. So stressful to move, Gosh, sometimes I just wish I won the lottery, lol.

Old 04-16-2013, 09:14 PM

If i got a uhaul, where would I find movers to fill/unload it, the regular moving companies? I dont know anyone personally who could help. And how would that compare in price with movers with their own truck?

Old 04-16-2013, 09:32 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,293,258 times
Contact a couple local movers for estimates.

I'd rather have movers come with their own equipment and driver. It's a lot less trouble, and you should be getting people who know what they're doing.

The first time I used movers was for a short move. I was moving to a two-story place, and I had a piano, so I didn't want to ask friends. One thing to look out for, though, is added costs. The estimate I was given was for a certain number of hours (maybe 2? or 3?); if the move took longer, I'd get charged more. Well, it should have easily been done within the allotted time, but the movers asked if they could stop at 7-11 to get something to eat, and I said yes, and they took a long time - causing the move to take extra time. It would have been a lot cheaper to order a pizza for them, but I didn't think of it.

Old 04-16-2013, 09:45 PM

84 posts, read 216,068 times
To Herbrocks,

Maybe try looking at Uhaul site
uhaul.com
and toward the bottom right corner, there a link to help find Moving Helpers in your Area
uhaul.com/MovingHelp/

I'm thinking of moving too, and I'm confuse myself, lol. I also prefer hire the moving company whole package thing, but I not sure if my budget is going to allow. If you have enough money to hire moving company, that would be the best. But only for 2 miles away? If you have tons of stuff then maybe should hire a moving company.

Old 04-16-2013, 10:20 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbrocks View Post
I am planning a move soon from a 1b apt to an apt 2 miles away. I doubt Ill be able to do it my self and have never used movers. Any advice on cost and their procedures would be very helpful. I have 2 liing room chairs, sofa, bed, bunkbed, several bookcases and small tables, 75 gal aquaruim (drained), 2 medium tvs, clothes/linens, and lots of smaller boxes. Ill be checking the thread, thanks!
Hire Two Men and a Truck, or some similar short haul mover. They will tell you what you need to do, if anything. We can't know costs; you need to talk to several local movers and get rates. It should not be wildly expensive, especially if you pack as much as you can.

Old 04-17-2013, 01:13 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,324,813 times
Do you have some sort of "Starving Students" businesses near you? It's usually college kids who do a job much cheaper.

Old 04-17-2013, 09:57 AM

Thanks for the posts, please keep them coming. Ive never used any type of mover, so any info on thier procedures or the way they do business would be helpful so I can ask good questions when I call around for quotes

Old 04-17-2013, 10:45 AM

5,021 posts, read 7,450,618 times
Use yelp or another website to get reviews on companies in your area.
Word of mouth is best.

Do your homework.
Don't necessarily go by who's cheaper, go by best reputation.

It's all about weight and time.
Make sure when they come to give you a quote that you let them see everything.
Many times people forget they have items stashed way back in a closet.. under a bed...

Old 04-17-2013, 10:53 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,324,813 times
Quote:
It's all about weight and time.
Make sure when they come to give you a quote that you let them see everything.
Many times people forget they have items stashed way back in a closet.. under a bed...
Yes, everything. My son is a crew chief for a moving company. On one move, the customer conveniently forgot to mention that they have a subzero fridge. It's a three man job. My kid and another guy tried to move it anyway. It slipped and crushed my son, breaking his sternum and injuring his back. This was back in December and he's still not back at work. He has to go to physio three times a week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues