Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2013, 10:49 PM

4 posts, read 10,530 times

Advertisements

I am a single mom to a 4 year old working in healthcare. I live in Georgia and I am looking to relocate for work to a suburb in a bigger city. I am looking for a place with good schools, lots of childcare options and activities for children. Not to bad as far as safety although I realize crime is everywhere. I would also like to eventually invest in real estate and purchase a home. I am looking at either Orlando, fl, north Carolina, or Texas. I would like to do it while me and my son are young so that if it is not right I may move back home after 4 or 5 years but the idea is to stay put.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2013, 11:17 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
You've got the City Data site to do research on. Choose a city in the area you like and research the jobs, housing costs, school systems. When you zero in on an area you like, visit the forum for that area and ask about schools, and other things.

If you want to make a life changing move, you need to provide a soft landing for you and your child.

Good luck!

Old 04-18-2013, 06:34 AM

27,169 posts, read 43,857,618 times
I live in the Orlando area and would advise to look elsewhere. There aren't many jobs, crime is on the rise and salaries if you do find a job here are not in proportion to the cost of living. Cities like Nashville TN, Knoxville TN, Charleston SC and Greenville SC would be my recommendation as they have low unemployment rates, a low cost of living, decent salary levels and family-friendly areas with good schools.

Old 04-18-2013, 08:32 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlwyellow View Post
I am a single mom to a 4 year old working in healthcare.
Can you define what "working in healthcare" means?

Will doing whatever that job may be produce the $40-60,000 (from a regular 40 hour week)
of income that a small family unit like yours needs in order to be self sufficient?

Anyone without a job that requires a degree, professional certification and licensing
(BSN or even RN nurse? X-ray tech? Lab tech? Teacher? Electrician?) is better off staying put where
they are with family and friends to help and support them until they do qualify for that sort of job.

With that sort of job? The grass on the current side of the fence will look better too.

Old 04-18-2013, 07:03 PM

4 posts, read 10,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Can you define what "working in healthcare" means?

Will doing whatever that job may be produce the $40-60,000 (from a regular 40 hour week)
of income that a small family unit like yours needs in order to be self sufficient?

Anyone without a job that requires a degree, professional certification and licensing
(BSN or even RN nurse? X-ray tech? Lab tech? Teacher? Electrician?) is better off staying put where
they are with family and friends to help and support them until they do qualify for that sort of job.

With that sort of job? The grass on the current side of the fence will look better too.
I am a RN

Old 04-18-2013, 09:06 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
NW area of San Antonio (medical district, good schools), or... get a job with VA and commute to NE San Antonio

VA has been good to my RN sis, they paid 100% for Emory, then 100% for RNA

Old 04-19-2013, 11:44 AM

5,020 posts, read 7,444,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I live in the Orlando area and would advise to look elsewhere. There aren't many jobs, crime is on the rise and salaries if you do find a job here are not in proportion to the cost of living.
I agree
Florida - anywhere - is like this
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues