Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2013, 07:22 PM

50 posts, read 190,887 times

Advertisements

I've decided I'm going to make the move from Austin to NYC having received a tentative job offer and have started planning the move. After taking inventory of all my belongings (no other people or pets to think about), I've figured that I can sell most of my large items like TV, couch, desk and bed and fit my clothes, electronics, sentimentals, etc into 3 large suitcases. The proceeds from selling my belongings will likely cover my plane ticket and luggage costs.

My question is, has anyone does this before and can you share how it worked out? Is there a cheaper, better way to make the move with such few belongings? The car I'm driving now is actually owned by my parents who are here in Austin so if I wanted to drive, I would rent a car. I'm hoping things that are a bit fragile, like picture frames, survive rough handling by airline crews. I have friends in NYC who have promised they will come help me carry the items from the airport to my new place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2013, 07:39 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
I'd look into shipping to friends before trying to fly with all my stuff. I believe there is a limit to number and size of bags you can carry as well.

I shipped some things via UPS to a relative before our move. If some of your things are fragile, you could let UPS pack and ship. It is not cheap to do this however.

Old 05-15-2013, 08:58 PM

10,113 posts, read 19,394,180 times
Good luck with the move....but don't count on "friends who promised to help". Trust me, that never works out! Friends are always so eager to promise, but when it comes to doing, well....they either forget, or have a thousand and one reasons to back out at the last minute, leaving you stranded.

Why don't you leave fragile items with your parents, to pick up later? You could try to ship such items to "friends" in NYC, but there again.....one thing you need to learn in life, don't depend on other people, take care of yourself!

Or, you could perhaps either rent a small storage unit in Austin to store things to pick up later, or, perhaps you could rent a storage unit in NYC and have things shipped directly there, assuming the storage unit can sign for them?

Old 05-16-2013, 09:32 AM

537 posts, read 1,242,280 times
Someone recommended to me Greyhound as a way to ship items. The prices are reasonable, and you can ship them the day that you move, so you'll be in NYC by the time they get there.

Old 05-16-2013, 12:37 PM

50 posts, read 190,887 times
Yes, I'm well aware of the limitations of friends as they have left me living alone for the past year here in Austin after some convinced me they would help me get on my feet after I moved out of my parents' house.

The limit for the airlines with the cheapest tickets are 10 bags at max 50 lbs each but bags 3-10 have a fee of $75-150. I really don't have that many belongings to warrant a storage unit but getting items shipped directly to a NYC storage unit is an interesting idea that I'll look into. Thanks for the suggestions!

Old 05-17-2013, 04:40 PM

296 posts, read 625,452 times
Shipping your items via Amtrak might also be an option. The limitation there is that you cannot ship electronics via Amtrak.

Old 05-18-2013, 06:49 AM

924 posts, read 1,676,004 times
I moved cross-country years ago. I didn't have furniture to deal with but lots of personal items. I took the most important stuff in the car with me and drove. I packed the remainder in boxes, got them completely ready for shipping and had them picked up at my parents' house by UPS.

Sometimes there are people that don't want to pay to have a car transported and will look for someone who will drive it for them. It would save you the cost of airfare. I don't know where they advertise this but try googling it.

Do not ship a car full of stuff. The stuff will be stolen.

About ten years ago, my stepdaughter had moved out and wanted us to ship all her stuff. UPS would have been too expensive. We ended up packing her boxes and taking them to a freight company where they put them on a pallet and shrink-wrap the whole thing. It was significantly cheaper than individually shipping via UPS but you do have to be prepared for the arrival of a pallet at your front door and be able to clear it off and get the stuff inside.

Another option is Craters and Freighters. If I had to move today across country, I'd probably sell my largest stuff and use them for the rest.

I've used Greyhound twice for eBay purchases of small furniture and both times were inexpensive and went perfectly.

If you're flying, I would not put any valuables such as electronics in luggage that will be checked through. We've had a few things go missing over several trips from checked luggage - things you wouldn't expect to be taken such as expensive (but used!) makeup, new clothing that still had the tag, and my son's belt. I check our hotel rooms several times before we leave. There's no way I left them behind. The belt that was stolen was an $80 belt and everyone in the family saw me put it in the suitcase and immediately close it and leave.

Old 05-18-2013, 07:33 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,842,423 times
2 Bags are free for Amtrak , they do ship pallets across the country so as long as your city is serviced and your destination is serviced they will ship.

Amtrak - Plan - Policies - Baggage Policy & Service - Amtrak Express

Ship with Amtrak
We offer small package and less-than-truckload shipping services between more than 100 cities.

For information regarding rates, schedules and permitted articles, call 1-800-368-TRAK (8:30 am - 8 pm ET, Monday through Friday); only shipping information is available at this telephone number. For other customer inquiries, please call 1-800-USA-RAIL (1-800-872-7245).

Note: New York Penn Station does not originate Amtrak Express (or human remains) shipments. This station only receives such shipments originating at other Amtrak stations. The Newark, NJ station provides full Amtrak Express services.

Kinds of Shipping Services Offered
Small Package Shipments
Weight limit for each item: 50 lbs. (23 kg)
Size limit for each item: 3 ft x 3 ft x 3 ft
(90 cm by 90 cm by 90 cm)
Weight limit for each shipment: 500 lbs. (227 kg)
Heavy and Commercial Shipments
Many major stations handle pallets and packages.

Individual pallets of up to 500 lbs. (227 kg)
Weight limit for each non-palletized item: 50 lbs. (23 kg)
Size limit for each non-palletized item: 3 ft x 3 ft x 3 ft (90 cm by 90 cm by 90 cm)
Weight limit for each shipment: 500 lbs. (227 kg)

Old 05-18-2013, 07:35 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ankey View Post
I've decided I'm going to make the move from Austin to NYC having received a tentative job offer and have started planning the move. After taking inventory of all my belongings (no other people or pets to think about), I've figured that I can sell most of my large items like TV, couch, desk and bed and fit my clothes, electronics, sentimentals, etc into 3 large suitcases. The proceeds from selling my belongings will likely cover my plane ticket and luggage costs.

My question is, has anyone does this before and can you share how it worked out? Is there a cheaper, better way to make the move with such few belongings? The car I'm driving now is actually owned by my parents who are here in Austin so if I wanted to drive, I would rent a car. I'm hoping things that are a bit fragile, like picture frames, survive rough handling by airline crews. I have friends in NYC who have promised they will come help me carry the items from the airport to my new place.

You might think about a UPS Store type place that has mailboxes and rent one of their boxes and have your items shipped there then pick them up when you arrive. I would call them first and make sure you can do that though and be clear that the items will be sitting there for a week or however long it will take before you arrive.

Old 05-18-2013, 08:28 AM

986 posts, read 1,864,448 times
I'd just bring clothes with you, and ship other items via USPS (either have your parents ship it to you after you're settled or ship to a friend beforehand).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues