Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 05:37 PM

20 posts, read 35,810 times

Advertisements

I'm fairly new to this forum but I've been reading various boards and threads to see everyone's experiences. Here's my situation. My husband has been laid off for for almost a year now, he's had interviews but there has been no progress on getting an actual job. There really isn't much where we live. I work part-time, I've been looking for full time with the same luck. We need to be out of our rental during the summer. My question is, would it be smart to up and leave with no job lined up?

My husband was just working as a warehouse supervisor for a local family business. When business was slow, they started to combine positions and my husband got the boot. In the last month since we made the decision to move, He's mailed his resume to a few companies in the state we want to go to and has had more luck doing that, than finding work up here for the past year. Where not fancy people, just regular people trying to make a living. just enough to survive. We've both always wanted to move and now we have the perfect opportunity with him being laid off and us having to get out of the rental. We have come to the conclusion that staying here, our lives will remain stagnant and we don't want that.

We're thinking of just selling everything, except our clothing, my scrapbook stuff (can't part with that! lol), and a few meaningful possessions, and just driving to where we want to go. we feel if we move there will be more opportunites and feel our quality of life will get better. We know no place is perfect, but where we are isn't for us. Has anyone just up and left, with no job lined up? We were thinking about doing this once the school year is done (son in first grade), we'll have over $10,000 in savings, and we have no debt. We're never done anything like this as we've both lived in the same area our whole lives. Any advice or encouragement anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2013, 05:42 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,513,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nesser01 View Post
I'm fairly new to this forum but I've been reading various boards and threads to see everyone's experiences. Here's my situation. My husband has been laid off for for almost a year now, he's had interviews but there has been no progress on getting an actual job. There really isn't much where we live. I work part-time, I've been looking for full time with the same luck. We need to be out of our rental during the summer. My question is, would it be smart to up and leave with no job lined up?

My husband was just working as a warehouse supervisor for a local family business. When business was slow, they started to combine positions and my husband got the boot. In the last month since we made the decision to move, He's mailed his resume to a few companies in the state we want to go to and has had more luck doing that, than finding work up here for the past year. Where not fancy people, just regular people trying to make a living. just enough to survive. We've both always wanted to move and now we have the perfect opportunity with him being laid off and us having to get out of the rental. We have come to the conclusion that staying here, our lives will remain stagnant and we don't want that.

We're thinking of just selling everything, except our clothing, my scrapbook stuff (can't part with that! lol), and a few meaningful possessions, and just driving to where we want to go. we feel if we move there will be more opportunites and feel our quality of life will get better. We know no place is perfect, but where we are isn't for us. Has anyone just up and left, with no job lined up? We were thinking about doing this once the school year is done (son in first grade), we'll have over $10,000 in savings, and we have no debt. We're never done anything like this as we've both lived in the same area our whole lives. Any advice or encouragement anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
What area of the country do you guys live in?
Cause I could recommend some cities for you guys if I knew what area of the US you live in.

Old 04-08-2013, 05:50 PM

Thanks! We live in Mass. It's definitely not the place for us. A preference would be somewhere fairly warm with mild winters, but those are low on the list. Job and quality of life are higher up on the list.

Old 04-08-2013, 06:23 PM

238 posts, read 590,222 times
I would go for it.

Since your husband doesn't have a job where you are at, what do you have to lose?

Old 04-08-2013, 06:40 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
I would make sure the economy where you want to move is better than where you are now. You both need to have references lined up, and perhaps a place with an address where you intend to land.

Guard your personal files well. It would be a tragedy if you lost those, or if the vehicle was burglarized as you were en route. In other words, if you do this, and I agree that you don't necessarily have a lot to lose by doing this, think it through carefully. You have your son to think of. Imagine all the things that could go wrong, and plan accordingly.

Good luck.

Old 04-08-2013, 06:45 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,921,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nesser01 View Post
Thanks! We live in Mass. It's definitely not the place for us. A preference would be somewhere fairly warm with mild winters, but those are low on the list. Job and quality of life are higher up on the list.
Is health insurance an issue for you? Any friends/distant relatives in the state you're considering?

Old 04-08-2013, 07:02 PM

No. That is not an issue and no, we don't have any family living anywhere except where we live. I have one sister that lives in California but that is not a state that we are considering. My husband was thinking, Dallas, TX but we will move anywhere at this point.

Old 04-08-2013, 07:07 PM

238 posts, read 590,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Is health insurance an issue for you? Any friends/distant relatives in the state you're considering?

If he has no job where he now lives , I doubt he has benefits

Old 04-08-2013, 07:18 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,921,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkansas Mac View Post
If he has no job where he now lives , I doubt he has benefits
Unless he has COBRA benefits, although for a family of three, it would be quite expensive..

They might have some catastrophic insurance plan, or they might qualify for Medicaid, but perhaps not..

Old 04-08-2013, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Unless he has COBRA benefits, although for a family of three, it would be quite expensive..

They might have some catastrophic insurance plan, or they might qualify for Medicaid, but perhaps not..
No. We don't. My husband was the carrier for insurace before he got laid off, and we decided that because, We don't haven any regular health issues, it was better for us to be without it for a while. Even though it's required in Ma, it's was cheaper for us to pay the fine, than to have to dish out all that cash for something we probably wouldn't use. My son had his annual checkup, clean bill of health and we paid $100. So insurance isn't an issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues