Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2013, 02:00 AM

7 posts, read 7,717 times

Advertisements

I'm a 17 year old girl, I'll be 18 this September, and I plan to be gone on that very day. My mother isn't bad, per se, but she absolutely can't turn my brother away. He's now married, expecting a baby this summer, and still living at home. So I'm not staying.

Anyways, I need a place that is cheap, if it's a little on the seedy side, I can deal with that. (Where I live now is fairly 'seedy') But I would prefer it weren't, since I'll be an 18 year old girl living on her own for the first time. Kinda intimidating I want to attend a community college, but not in Alabama. Preferably somewhere a few states away, or a lotta states away. I'll be getting financial assistance to pay for that. And I have a dog, 50 pounds; Is that relevant?

So does anyone know of anywhere with cheap cost of living, that is pet friendly (I don't mean the actual apartments, I'll find a pet friendly apartment, I mean the community--Parks where you can walk with the dog, multiple vets, pet stores, etc.) With a community college in it? Or at least not more than 30/45 minutes drive away?

And what should I bring? What do I do when I get there? I've obviously never moved before Advice would be great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2013, 04:58 AM

2,744 posts, read 4,232,261 times
It's sad that you need to leave home at such an early age. My advice to you would be to first go to college. At least get an associates degree ( a two year degree) so that you will be able to support yourself.

Don't you think that would be a good idea? That way, you will be truly independent of your mom, and you will be able to support yourself. There are many well paying careers that can be had with only two years of college.

I can only tell you about two places that I know are relatively inexpensive. Little Rock Arkansas has a low cost of living. There are quite a few places to live that accept pets. University of Arkansas, Little Rock is there so there are lots of young people and apartment shares.

My niece moved by herself from NYState to Boynton Beach Florida. There are a lot of people around your age who live there - she first lived in a apartment complex that had many young people and permitted pets. I know she has a small dog. Now she shares a house.

There is a very inexpensive college near Boynton Beach. I think it's called Palm Beach State. They give 2 and 4 year degrees. If you do not have a HS diploma they will still take you. Boynton Beach is a fun place to live.

You really need to get yourself a profession so that you can support yourself.

Old 05-30-2013, 03:45 PM

5,651 posts, read 6,208,289 times
Your question is difficult because i think there are probably many many places that would meet the few criteria you provided. If you really are simply interested in somewhere outside Alabama with a community college then I would instead focus on somewhere you have friends, family or other connections. Moving to an unknown place is not easy, even when you have a secure job lined up. Having some connections already there will make a big differnce - a freindly face, someone to give you advice about the city, perhaps even provide assistance in an emergency.

Do you have any savings or will you be getting some financial assistance from your mother? You mentioned you would be gettign financial assistance for community college but it's a little unclear as to what form that would take. The reason I ask is that at your age with minimum employment history and no renting history you may find that it can be tough to find somewhere willing to rent to you. If you have a few months rent in advance that can make landlords more willing to rent to you.

Also, most community colleges will only give you in-state tuition rates after you have lived in a state for at least a year. Again, I don't know what type of financial assistance you were referring to, so this may or may not be an issue.

As far as what to take, when you move you would basically take everything you own. If you are going to be living on your own and have lived at home up to this point there will be a lot of things you need - some basic furniture, basic kitchen things (a couple of plates, silverware, pots and pans, etc. I wouldn't get any of that until you have your new place - no reason to get it in Alabama and move it.

But from what you have said probably the best advice (based solely on my own personal experience) is to consider getting a roommate. If you have never lived away from home you may be underestimating the challenges. Having a roommate means that there are two people to share expenses of electricity, water,rent, etc. I think it also helps in learning how to live out on your own (even if the roommate has also never lived away from home). Whatever community college you end up considering may have a roommate connection service or board of some sort.

Old 05-30-2013, 04:20 PM

10,113 posts, read 19,396,101 times
Make sure to take any ID papers with you, including birth certificate, driver's license, social security card, passport if you have one, high school diploma, insurance cards, including auto insurance, medical insurance

Oh, and for the dog, make sure he's up-to-date on vaccines and you have the paperwork, and any required license tags, especially if you're crossing state lines.

Think you can wait ~ 2 years? My dd will be 18 then, you can room together!

Old 05-30-2013, 05:43 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,754,471 times
Do you have other family anywhere that can help? Distant aunt or grandparents or something? I am not talking going from one "kid living at home" scenario to another, but many times older relatives have homes with empty rooms or even an RV sitting in the barn that they don't use. Offer to help out with maintaining the home or nominal rent - that leaves you able to further your education. I am glad to hear you are going to attend college...it will be hard to successfully support yourself if you stop just out of HS.

Truthfully, dorm living on a campus would be the best idea for you. If "weans" you into being independent and still provides a roof over your head and meals (most plans anyway). Your dog would be a stumbling block though...I do not know of any dorms that allow you to have pets. Can your dog stay with Mom for a bit until you get settled?

My daughter moved out at 18. She could have happily stayed at home, but an opportunity came up (one of those older relative scenarios that I mentioned) that lead to her being independent and able to attend the college of her choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues