Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 04:55 AM

214 posts, read 468,670 times

Advertisements

We are moving to Florida, and since we'll be staying with family while we look for a new house, everything is going into storage. My thoughts were that it would be cheaper to hire someone to pack our stuff into pods and have the pods go into storage, rather than have the stuff packed from our house, moved into storage, then moved back into a truck, then offloaded again into the new house. Plus there is less chance of things getting lost or misplaced if they're locked into a pod. I have already filled a pod about three quarters full with alot of stuff we don't need right away.

However, we still have ALOT of big, huge items and I'm not sure a pod type packer (I'd use a professional packing and moving company to pack the pod) would be good enough. In addition to the kitchen stuff and usual household items (tvs, sofas, dining room etc) we have a VERY large safe, a 10 foot pool table, a grand piano, an upright piano and an organ.

any opinions or thoughts much appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2013, 05:44 AM

521 posts, read 4,415,883 times
How much of your stuff do you think will survive being baked inside metal mobile/portable moving containers in Florida's 90+ degree summer heat for an extended period of time?

Your wooden and plastic furniture, pool table, and musical instruments may not be in the same condition when you find your new place.

Last edited by RikkiTikki; 06-04-2013 at 06:09 AM..

Old 06-04-2013, 05:50 AM

the pods are stored in a climate controlled warehouse

Old 06-04-2013, 06:36 AM

15 posts, read 20,293 times
I Think you must go for the traditional company option which has got really good rapport with the time and they also have advanced method to keep the things safe. And there are many removal and storage companies around. just do a little bit home work and get your moving and storage done properly.

Old 06-04-2013, 10:47 AM

227 posts, read 393,154 times
Have you looked into Upack? I'm using them for their pods (relocubes), but they can also bring a full trailer to your place. You pay for the space you use - which may be the whole thing, in your case - and you can have them keep the trailer in storage until it's ready. Offhand I think it's $195/month for trailer storage. That seems a lot easier than moving to storage, then moving them to a truck.

Old 06-05-2013, 05:42 AM

1,108 posts, read 4,220,840 times
My wife and I are moving to Florida in July and have interviewed several movers. What we found out from all of them is that they will not make the trip down until they have a full load...and generally speaking, they come to your house with a smaller vehcile/truck and then when back at the warehouse either load it up into a 53' trailer or put it into storage. Either way, they charge you to unload it and then again charge you to load it...

Regardless of what you might be told...NO moving company will make the trip until their vehicle is fully loaded...so if they give you a guaranteed drop off date...they are B.S's you!!!

Most companies we interviewed charge by weight...the person that comes by takes down all your inventory and then by experience/???? estimate the weight of your items...and prepare a written estimate. Some do it while there and others mail it to you...our estimate's came in between 9 and 11 thousand pounds...The company we selected estimated the weight at 10,300 pounds and charges 63 cents for ever 100 lbs over...

We looked into a pod...but we did not want to load it ourselves and definately did not want to carry the heavy furniture down 3 flights of stairs...but since we have already purchased a home a pod was not really considered...

Off track - some article I read suggested putting sheets of bounce in your packed boxes/bags/etc... claiming bugs of all types do not like the smell and will not enter your items... I know it works on mosquitos...but anything else???? Either way, Bounce is cheap enough not to try it...

Old 06-05-2013, 05:52 AM

thanks. we are going with traditional movers...although I did pack a pod with a bunch of stuff we don't need but want to keep.

Since we'll be moving in with my mother until we find a house we like, we don't have to stress about when the furniture will get down there, although quite frankly I'm pretty sure we'll fill a trailer ourselves. My main concern at this point is the guitars and my husbands book collection - we have three bookshelves full and they are important books. I worry that a box of the books will get lost.

Old 06-05-2013, 05:53 AM

521 posts, read 4,415,883 times
You'd better make up your mind quickly regardless of which type of full-service or DIY moving option you're considering.

Many household goods carriers began shutting off new business until the second week in July. That's putting pressure on truck rental and mobile/portable container capacity during the summer.

Forget the bounce. Bed bugs, roaches, and Florida fire ants don't care about the smell.

If cost is a consideration, the best way to pack is to purge.

Old 06-05-2013, 06:13 AM

129 posts, read 237,436 times
Quote:
the best way to pack is to purge.
We have a friend who works for a moving company in NY. Her advice? Either a PODS or a UPack to move. Furniture from the north won't look right in a FL home and to buy when we got there. She was right. Craigslist and the consignment shops/Goodwill in FL are full of furniture that is jettisoned when people move from the north and realize the style of furniture they brought doesn't work. The opposite is true too, people moving back north have no use for FL furniture when they move, so it's available too.

Old 06-05-2013, 05:50 PM

I've been purging for a year LOL... had a huge garage sale last summer and have been whittling away but my husband is a pack rat and it's hard for him to let go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues