Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 06:30 PM

12 posts, read 17,827 times

Advertisements

Hello.

My name is Thomas, I was born and raised in Denmark. I don't like living here, for many reasons, and my biggest wish, in terms of where I live, is to live in America. I'm nothing but a simple student here in Denmark and I barely make enough to keep my life going in a cheap basement-based appartment.

I may be planning ahead, or I may be extremely hopefull. Either way, I got some questions.

A) How will the transition be from free health-care to the American one?

a) And how do I prepare for any health-emergency, for example, incase I get sick the first week I am there.

B) Which kind of Visa would I have to aquire and how difficult is this to obtain?

C) How hard is it to aquire a job that pays just about enough to make a living, in a 3-room appartment/house, without having to take "necessities" into consideration, like a cellphone bill, car, gas, insurances other than for the house/appartment.

D) Religious differences; From what I've heard, read etc, America in general is a really God-loving country, especially Christianity plays a big role in America. How would it be for an Atheist to move there?
(Main reason I am asking this, is because I've read a few posts here and there about Atheism being looked down upon and people being mistreated due to their lack of religious belief)

I'm not looking into a change of education, work or anything like that, I honestly don't want to achieve *******s in my "worklife", so I'm not looking for any special kind visa to be able to work anywhere specific or go to school anywhere specific.

What I'm looking for is a small-town community, probably a population of >400. I'd love to live in a place where you can basically walk around in shorts all day, where you can walk around at night the same, rain I don't mind, aslong as the humidity doesn't go crazy. Close to the sea wouldn't be a dealbreaker either.

^- Why? I'm looking for some examples so I can extend my research.

I know this might all seem abit specific, but if you want something specific, you should search for something specific.

I went a little overboard with my first thread, but if you'd want to commit to my aid, here it is: //www.city-data.com/forum/gener...l#post29901372

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2013, 04:30 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelm2601 View Post
C) How hard is it to aquire a job that pays just enough to make a living...
VERY. On a practical basis it will require you being recruited by a US company.
Once you manage that though all the rest will fall into line rather easily.

Old 06-07-2013, 05:12 AM

50,330 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Have you visited this country? Maybe you should come for a visit and see if you like it.
If you want a shorts and flip-flop lifestyle, I'd try Florida or California.

Americans can walk into any urgent care facility or emergency room and get treated, but you will need a way of paying for it. Most of us get medical coverage through an employer plan, but some buy it privately or go without. If you are young and healthy, you can get coverage for $100-$200. a month. Not sure how Obamacare will change this.

Unemployment is high here right now, so unless you have some very particular skills, you might find it difficult. I do not know what kind of job you would be looking for, but I'm sure there is a lot of red tape involved in getting permission to work here.

Atheists and believers live in harmony here, as long as one or the other don't push theirs beliefs on others.

Old 06-07-2013, 06:09 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,175,484 times
Quote:
Hello.

My name is Thomas, I was born and raised in Denmark. I don't like living here, for many reasons, and my biggest wish, in terms of where I live, is to live in America. I'm nothing but a simple student here in Denmark and I barely make enough to keep my life going in a cheap basement-based appartment.

I may be planning ahead, or I may be extremely hopefull. Either way, I got some questions.

A) How will the transition be from free health-care to the American one?

a) And how do I prepare for any health-emergency, for example, incase I get sick the first week I am there.

B) Which kind of Visa would I have to aquire and how difficult is this to obtain?

C) How hard is it to aquire a job that pays just about enough to make a living, in a 3-room appartment/house, without having to take "necessities" into consideration, like a cellphone bill, car, gas, insurances other than for the house/appartment.

D) Religious differences; From what I've heard, read etc, America in general is a really God-loving country, especially Christianity plays a big role in America. How would it be for an Atheist to move there?
(Main reason I am asking this, is because I've read a few posts here and there about Atheism being looked down upon and people being mistreated due to their lack of religious belief)

I'm not looking into a change of education, work or anything like that, I honestly don't want to achieve *******s in my "worklife", so I'm not looking for any special kind visa to be able to work anywhere specific or go to school anywhere specific.

What I'm looking for is a small-town community, probably a population of >400. I'd love to live in a place where you can basically walk around in shorts all day, where you can walk around at night the same, rain I don't mind, aslong as the humidity doesn't go crazy. Close to the sea wouldn't be a dealbreaker either.

^- Why? I'm looking for some examples so I can extend my research.

I know this might all seem abit specific, but if you want something specific, you should search for something specific.

I went a little overboard with my first thread, but if you'd want to commit to my aid, here it is: //www.city-data.com/forum/gener...l#post29901372

Thanks in advance.
- You come from a civilized country so it's not a big culture shock. Our crime rate is much higher in the major cities compared to where you live now.

- Health Care - You just buy medical insurance which is available and affordable depending on what you want covered. Now Obama is trying to make it much less affordable with various regulations and government mandates but that is just how we have it now.

- Check and see if you can buy medical insurance while you are living in Demark. I would think AIG offers a policy.

- Credit Card - Join a bank and they all offer credit cards. You might get a lower spending limit at first.

- Job - If you have skills that are in demand you should be able to get a job if you are a legal immigrant. If you don't have skills in demand you might find a service related job(s), depending on what city you are moving to.

- Religion - nobody cares unless you are a radical Muslim prancing around demanding that we all become Muslims. Otherwise, nobody will ask you about your religion or what you believe in.

- You go to a small town the chance for a decent job are limited.

- You might check out Northern Ca, but it can get cold at times, not humid. The East Coast and South are humid.

Old 06-07-2013, 05:31 PM

228 posts, read 664,933 times
Win the Green Card Lottery and you can do any of this... so long as you can support yourself once you emigrate. Until you sort out your immigration status, and without marketable, in-demand skills and no desire to go to school, then you are left with lottery or marriage are your options. Thats it.

As for where you want to live, I guess it is Central or Southern California, possibly somewhat inland.

Old 06-07-2013, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sondra_finchley View Post
Win the Green Card Lottery...
What Are My Chances of "Winning" the Green Card Lottery?
9.1 million qualified entries vs 50,000 available diversity immigrant visas LINK

Old 06-07-2013, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sondra_finchley View Post
Win the Green Card Lottery...
Better odds than the Lottery. LINK
9.1 million qualified entries vs 50,000 available diversity immigrant visas

Old 06-07-2013, 07:48 PM

12 posts, read 17,827 times
Thank you all for your contribution!

As my first thread got abit "wall-texty", I took the advice of someone from my first thread and made this, so trying to keep track of both threads, so I'm gonna answer you all at once, in a more .. general kind of way, I suppose.

1) Regarding my job, skills etc. As I tried to explain in my intial thread, I'm not your general kind of guy, who tries to aim as high as possible within the field of work, I honestly don't care what I work with, aslong as I can get through the day and support myself (at this current state of my life, atleast). I never cared much for school or education, for myself, because it seems so pointless to me, that we pay alot of money to earn alot of money, so we can pay even more money for our children to earn more money than us, not to mention that what I really want is to help other people in dire situations, but making a decent living out of that is fairly hard and my options are limited, since I have to study to pay my rent, at this specific time in my life. My skills are just about my English exam and my Psychology exam, but acing English will probably not do me much effort in America and to work in any sort of field where Psychology might actually be profined as a "skill", I would have to be able to back it up with a more compelx education.

2) The lottey. I will try to do some research on it, but right now, I'm just kinda shocked that there is a lottery for immigrationvalue, so to speak, it seems very unlikely to me, even though several people have mentioned it. But I will definately look it up, thank you.

3) A follow-up question; I've heard so many theories, stories and whatnot about immigration, and if you had asked me about it a year ago, how I thought I would be able to become an American citizen, I would honestly answer you like this: "Well, you move there, once your 'timelimit' for being in the country without an American Visa has expired, if you have aquired a job within that time period, or a residence, you would be able to take a citizenship test and qualify yourself as a legal immigrant/american citizen".

Aka, I have no skills, I have no major education, frankly, no real education at all. I have skills, but not the skills you send to a foreign country on a piece of paper to ensure a job.

Old 06-08-2013, 08:38 AM

Quote:
I have no skills, I have no major education, frankly, no real education at all.
I have skills, but not the skills you send to a foreign country on a piece of paper to ensure a job.
Get to work on that.

Old 06-08-2013, 12:10 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,418,446 times
Well, your English is wonderful. While I'm not current on any immigration policies, it used to be that having the promise of a specialized job (that an american couldnt do) could help you get into the u.s. I knew a gal from E. Europe who came over and did translating (textbooks, I think) for a while, she had 2 small children at the time and was able to later get a better job and is still here and doing well, learned how to drive here etc. Maybe you could do something along those lines w/ Danish into Eng. or the other way around and see what it could lead to, it could lead to other connections and you might be pleasantly surprised. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues