Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 09:48 AM

12,626 posts, read 31,985,310 times

Advertisements

We are moving out of state about 6 hours away. The only way I've been able to look for a rental is online. I'm not too familiar with the area but ask lots of questions on here. My dilemma is that we only want a short term rental or month to month until we purchase a home. Not only am I having trouble finding that, we have 2 large dogs that many places won't accept. I will not get rid of them either, they are family. Some things that I've explored are an extended stay, RV park, apartments and mobile homes. The extended stay is way out of our price range at $1900/mo. An apartment or condo doesn't work well with dogs nor can I find any. We could stay in a travel trailer but with 3 adults, a baby and dogs it's way too crammed. All the other suggestions want a year lease.

My head is spinning trying to locate something as the move is quickly approaching. I'm just wondering how others have done it getting a short term rental and having pets. We are responsible adults who have excellent credit and have been homeowners for the past 20 years if that makes a difference. Any other suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2013, 09:56 AM

1,515 posts, read 2,268,691 times
Sort of in the same situation. We ended up renting for a year.... Also have pets and people are picky. We went thru a realtor to find a nice house. Kids are school age so kinda stuck for a year anyway. I would contact a realtor in the area to ask your questions. If they know you will be buying a house in the future, they may have some really good short term suggestions. Our realtor, even though they really don't handle rentals, bent over backwards to help us.

Good luck. Moving is so stressful.

Old 06-12-2013, 10:13 AM

3,604 posts, read 9,038,794 times
You could check with a realtor, maybe someone with a house listed and no offers would be willing to rent for a shorter term, you could also try VRBO.com. As a renter I feel you pain with the dog thing, but as a landlord it is a huge PITA to rent for a short term, then clean the place, find new tenants and start over again, maybe offer a 6 month lease a higher rate. We had a few times where my husband has had to move before me and buy a house and I followed a month or two later, not ideal, but sometimes necessary.

Old 06-12-2013, 12:22 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,746,522 times
Call a realtor in the area you are looking to move.

Go online and find the name / website of the local paper for the town you are moving to.

Call the Chamber of Commerce in the town you are moving to.

Old 06-13-2013, 06:21 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,810,220 times
In general I think it is better to rent for at least 6 months to a year when moving to a new state just to make sure things work out and also to get a feel for the different areas. You may find out one city is better for you then another. I understand that with dogs it is harder to find a rental. I agree about calling a realtor and also some apartments in the few states I have lived in I saw they accepted large dogs. Many will do a 6 month lease if you pay 50 to 100 more. If you would rather try for a condo rental or home looking on realtor.com can give you a feel and then you could call the listing agent who may have some other ideas.
Before I have moved I try to do some pre research and call around with the questions I have and if they have any vacancies. Then stay in a hotel for a week or so that way I can view them unless you have someone to go. Often pictures are not accurate to me anyway of what the place is really like.
Good luck

Old 06-13-2013, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniellaG View Post
In general I think it is better to rent for at least 6 months to a year when moving to a new state just to make sure things work out and also to get a feel for the different areas. You may find out one city is better for you then another. I understand that with dogs it is harder to find a rental. I agree about calling a realtor and also some apartments in the few states I have lived in I saw they accepted large dogs. Many will do a 6 month lease if you pay 50 to 100 more. If you would rather try for a condo rental or home looking on realtor.com can give you a feel and then you could call the listing agent who may have some other ideas.
Before I have moved I try to do some pre research and call around with the questions I have and if they have any vacancies. Then stay in a hotel for a week or so that way I can view them unless you have someone to go. Often pictures are not accurate to me anyway of what the place is really like.
Good luck
My first thought was just that. Get a hotel for a week, then find a rental . My only issue is we only get the Uhaul for 3 days. We were tying to avoid storage there if we bring our stuff with us. I think 6 months is reasonable to get situated. Even if we had a month to month or 3 mo lease, it doesn't mean we wouldn't stay longer. I don't want to rush into things like you said. I do want to make sure it's the right area and jobs do work out.

Old 06-14-2013, 02:12 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,810,220 times
I have no knowledge about uhaul but have you asked them if you can pay extra and keep it for a few extra days? Though this would be a pain but I have done it before is I found a storage unit that was 1 dollar for the first month and put my items in there till I found a new place. The issue of course you have to pay for movers unless you can do it yourself with friends. The unit ends up being more then a dollar of course with insurance and the lock but still very cheap.
If you do some research and calling around and really hussle and settle on just ok you may be able to move within a day or 2.
Do you happen to know anyone in the place you are moving to that could go look at a couple places for you?

Old 06-14-2013, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniellaG View Post
I have no knowledge about uhaul but have you asked them if you can pay extra and keep it for a few extra days? Though this would be a pain but I have done it before is I found a storage unit that was 1 dollar for the first month and put my items in there till I found a new place. The issue of course you have to pay for movers unless you can do it yourself with friends. The unit ends up being more then a dollar of course with insurance and the lock but still very cheap.
If you do some research and calling around and really hussle and settle on just ok you may be able to move within a day or 2.
Do you happen to know anyone in the place you are moving to that could go look at a couple places for you?

Unfortunately, we don't know anyone in our new location. One thing I might add it that everyone on here here has been very helpful. If I ask about a certain area, they give me an honest opinion. My son mentioned about asking to keep the Uhaul longer. I have to look into it. I want to have some places lined up to look at once we arrive. I haven't had any luck with that and I've been searching.

Old 06-14-2013, 06:32 PM

I'm getting discouraged about our move because we just aren't having any luck finding a place to stay.
I'm running out of options and 6 weeks will be here before we know it.

Old 06-14-2013, 06:49 PM

2,570 posts, read 7,727,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
I'm getting discouraged about our move because we just aren't having any luck finding a place to stay.
I'm running out of options and 6 weeks will be here before we know it.
You mentioned a travel trailer.. do you have one?

I know it is cramped but maybe that is the best bet just long enough to find a rental in person. Years (decades!) ago I lived in a very small travel trailer with my mother and her big black lab and 2 cats and my infant son, for a few months, while I looked for other housing. I won't lie, it was awful but I did it for the short term. I also lived with my Grandma and her husband and their dogs in a motor home for a year in high school because my father kicked me out of the house... I have experience living in teeny/cramped situations I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues