Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2013, 05:32 AM

1,558 posts, read 3,857,122 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are trying to move a 3 bedroom house from Northern Virginia to Northern Vermont. I have been checking ABF off and on for prices as well as Uhaul. Uhaul recently shot up in price from $500 to $1451 for a 26' truck or $1301 for a 20'. ABF is quoting approximately $2300 and change for 17 feet. Egads.....so expensive. They were running at least under $2,000 before.

Anybody have any other experiences with other vendors/trucks? Or will prices go down the further into summer we get? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2013, 06:16 AM

214 posts, read 468,194 times
summer is the peak moving time... people move during the summer to get their kids settled before the school year starts and college kids are either off to college or moving out of their college situation.

Probably end of august or by september you will see the price drop again.

Old 06-19-2013, 08:16 AM

5,021 posts, read 7,449,403 times
My movers told me May - September is when they raise the rates.
Also, people are moving in droves lately, so that'll bump the prices up.

Old 06-19-2013, 08:20 AM

Crazy! I did check out Penske though and they are at $500....that's a big difference! Hopefully, they don't raise their rates too.

Old 06-19-2013, 11:12 AM

521 posts, read 4,413,640 times
The traditional moving season normally extends from Memorial Day to Labor Day.

Moving product and service suppliers normally raise their prices across the board and then adjust them based on inbound/outbound user activity.

Virginia is a very active and relatively balanced inbound/outbound market because of the federal government and U.S. military presence.

Vermont is a low inbound/low outbound market so prices for most trucks rental and container transportation companies will normally be a lot steeper than most other geographic locations. Some companies tack on a 'repositioning' fee.

If you're moving a 3 BR house, you should be more interested in finding the right amount of truck/container capacity instead of the cheapest price. Otherwise some of your stuff may have to stay in Virginia.

Old 06-20-2013, 03:28 AM

Well, I was able to get a $400 16' from penske as opposed to $980 for the same thing from Uhaul. And, got cheap airfare to fly my little brother down to help. I am not concerned so much with 'size' as we are making this move over the next month or so. I was looking for a 'cheaper' price to break up the move instead of doing it all at once. We are going to do everything in our storage unit and the garage. We live in a 3 level townhouse so boxes are EVERYWHERE. We have a utility trailer in our garage that is taking all the room, so we are taking that up at the same time with our pick-up truck.

The only kicker is that we have to take the truck to New Hampshire to return it....but that isn't too far away and almost $500 cheaper, I'll pay the few extra bucks in gas.

Old 06-20-2013, 03:35 AM

9,894 posts, read 22,023,427 times
The less expensive time to move is sept-may.

Old 06-20-2013, 04:00 AM

i wish I could have 'timed' it better. We wanted to move everything sooner. But, we were builidng this house and waiting for the bank to close the loan and turn it into a mortgage and it took two months longer than it should have, we spent way more money than we ever thought we would, and now we still have to move out of our current home, lol! The sooner we get out of this house, the sooner I can get it painted, carpet replaced, and put on the market. As long as the Penske price stays reasonable, that's good enough for me. And if it doesn't, than we'll just deal with it. Thanks for the advice.

Old 06-20-2013, 06:38 AM

I do have one other question though. My husband signed up for the insurance (not sure exactly what it covers) tentatively over the phone for when we pick up the truck. The insurance was like $70.... They said it covers EVERYTHING....well, we will have to read the fine print on that one. I'm assuming that we should get the insurance though I think it is a bit pricey but I guess we are also driving a ways. Any thoughts?

Old 06-21-2013, 04:19 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,654,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vermonter16 View Post
My husband and I are trying to move a 3 bedroom house from Northern Virginia to Northern Vermont. I have been checking ABF off and on for prices as well as Uhaul. Uhaul recently shot up in price from $500 to $1451 for a 26' truck or $1301 for a 20'. ABF is quoting approximately $2300 and change for 17 feet. Egads.....so expensive. They were running at least under $2,000 before.

Anybody have any other experiences with other vendors/trucks? Or will prices go down the further into summer we get? Thanks.
A price jump from 500 to 1451. Pretty bad. I don't think much of companies who price gouge this bad.

Our 1 U-pack container last May cost us 2700 from AZ to NY. It had been going for under 2000 I guess prior to that (and looking back now I see it went up right before summer).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues