Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 11:41 PM

2,793 posts, read 4,071,120 times

Advertisements

I am moving from SoCal to Oregon. It's an easy enough drive. However, the one problem I'm seeing, is that everything that I need to take with me, may not make it into my car. Yikes!

I don't want to overload my car, but I no longer know what to do.

Would you suggest shipping my car and rent a larger car or SUV (which will cost me more money). Or should I load what I need into my car and maybe load it up a bit too much?

In case you're wondering what types of things I'm bringing here's the short list. My two dogs (one will be in a crate, one won't). A cooler with food for them (older dog eats fresh food, but if I drive up in one shot, then I don't need a ton of food). Items to make that dogs food (pot, strainer, knife, etc). Computer and monitor (could be 10 days w/o my stuff). Clothes for 10 days. Valuables (camera, jewelry, stupid expensive tripod?), plants (they won't ship plants), a can of paint? Do you see how this is starting to rack up? OMG!

That was the short list, right? Anyhow. How did you move? Did you drive a rental? Drive your car? Thoughts on how it went? Should I rent a larger car/SUV?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2013, 03:02 AM

9 posts, read 22,546 times
I don’t think you will have a problem but try to check your car before driving like Change the oil, a new oil filter, flush the coolant and replace it with new one, put new tires if needed and fill the oil tank.

Old 06-28-2013, 05:58 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,055,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisLopez View Post
I don’t think you will have a problem but try to check your car before driving like Change the oil, a new oil filter, flush the coolant and replace it with new one, put new tires if needed and fill the oil tank.
Very good advice! And we never really know how good of shape a rental car will be in anyway.

Old 06-28-2013, 06:07 AM

1,558 posts, read 3,857,922 times
I would say that if everything fits in your car, than do it. Why don't you pack everything into it ahead of time to even see if it will work. If it works - do it. If everything can't fit, it's a moot point and you'll need to look at other options. Just don't drive your car like it was in nascar and it should be ok. Like the LouisLopez said - make sure the mechanics of your car are in good shape. Nothing is worse than breaking down on the side of the highway..

Old 06-28-2013, 08:48 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psichick View Post
...here's the short list. My two dogs, cooler with food, Clothes, laptop, Valuables
Everything else gets shipped.
Ship some in advance so it's waiting when you get there.

Costa Mesa to Beaverton is a 15 hour drive; 18 with a couple stops.
You should be able to tough it out in one looooooooong summer day.
Maybe one overnight (Redding? Yreka?) is still all that's needed.

Old 06-28-2013, 01:36 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times
Get a car top carrier. They come in lots of sizes and you can get one for less than $100. Here's a search of Target.com:

Rightline Gear Sport 1 Car Top Carrier : Target

Old 06-28-2013, 02:41 PM

7,519 posts, read 13,628,157 times
If the car-top carrier idea does not work out, is there a reason you can't pull a small u-haul-type trailer with your car ??

Also, if you were to rent a larger car/suv, what would you do with your current car ??

Old 06-28-2013, 05:43 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
I'd advise leaving the plants behind. Make sure to keep your valuable papers with you at all times. I agree, that a car top carrier might be helpful here. Also, if you can ship some items ahead, perhaps to a family member or friend.

Good luck!

Old 06-28-2013, 06:24 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,085,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psichick View Post
I am moving from SoCal to Oregon. It's an easy enough drive. However, the one problem I'm seeing, is that everything that I need to take with me, may not make it into my car. Yikes!

I don't want to overload my car, but I no longer know what to do.

Would you suggest shipping my car and rent a larger car or SUV (which will cost me more money). Or should I load what I need into my car and maybe load it up a bit too much?

In case you're wondering what types of things I'm bringing here's the short list. My two dogs (one will be in a crate, one won't). A cooler with food for them (older dog eats fresh food, but if I drive up in one shot, then I don't need a ton of food). Items to make that dogs food (pot, strainer, knife, etc). Computer and monitor (could be 10 days w/o my stuff). Clothes for 10 days. Valuables (camera, jewelry, stupid expensive tripod?), plants (they won't ship plants), a can of paint? Do you see how this is starting to rack up? OMG!

That was the short list, right? Anyhow. How did you move? Did you drive a rental? Drive your car? Thoughts on how it went? Should I rent a larger car/SUV?
An option would be to rent a U-Haul truck and a car dolly, if your car is FWD, towing it on a dolly is very do-able.

What car do you have?

If the car is RWD or larger, you might consider setting it up to pull a trailer.

Old 06-28-2013, 08:17 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,060,634 times
With a rental car you will have a one way drop off fee and check if they have any dog rules like an extra cleaning charge. You could always ship most of your clothes, the plants will take up a lot of room, give them to a friend to enjoy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues