Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2019, 05:26 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,812,515 times

Advertisements

I'm considering doing this next year. Whoever mentioned using pillowcases instead of boxes: great idea!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2019, 11:36 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,636,118 times
Kind of. I mean we are sending the rest of the house into storage and just bringing what fits into our two cars for a few months in an apartment while the rest of the house remains in storage until the new house completes lol. So it’s kind of similar

Old 05-11-2019, 12:50 AM

240 posts, read 586,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerdude_Charlie View Post
I really wish I had the gall to do this but with being poor and money being tight when I last moved I rented a U-Haul. I guess it was a personal preference as well. If you can afford to do it I guess it would be worth it. When I moved out of my parents house I pretty much packed what I owned in my truck and took it, didn't have much this this was able to work. I have since acquired a bed and a couch that I really love and don't want to part with, I know someday I will have to part with it. If I have to move again I do wonder if I could get a packing expert to help me with my stuff and truck to get it all in there and not hassle with a U-Haul.

Charlie.
I moved much the same way. A Uhaul and a pickup but I couldn't put much of anything in the truck because on the way I had to go to a funeral in Canada and it's the pits to have a loaded truck if I'm the one they pick to search.
I've moved many, many times it has always impressed me most what it costs. Most on here seem to rolling in wealth. I had to have health insurance, ended up on Cobra (very expensive), had credit card payments, truck payments and other stuff. Had a place to stay but ended with temp job that doesn't pay much until I found an apartment maintenance job. Where I came from I had a double wide trail that I paid off at noon and at 3p got lay off notice didn't have much money to move but got lucky and won 800$ last 2 days in row before I moved (concluded guy upstairs likes me for some reason) Only put 20$ in machines.
. Anyway I arrived with 6000$ and barely lasted until I started real job. 2000$ a month just vanished.

Old 05-11-2019, 01:39 PM

223 posts, read 144,547 times
You also can get large heavy duty garbage bags for your clothes and vacuum out the air to make the bag smaller.

Old 05-19-2019, 10:14 AM

446 posts, read 396,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubconsciousMe View Post
I fit a lot of stuff inside shoes. Like gadgets, cords, kitchen supplies...
One of the best tips I have ever read! And also acts as shoe trees, helping the shoes keep their shape.

Last edited by Saskia Calico; 05-19-2019 at 10:25 AM..

Old 07-11-2019, 10:48 PM

732 posts, read 390,877 times
I see a five year jump in the comments, but it isn't like these things change.

The last time I move everything in a car it was in a 1970 428 Mach 1.

The important lesson in packing was to leave space for the Hurst shifter.

Old 07-12-2019, 03:31 AM

1,995 posts, read 2,078,011 times
The DVD cases, you should be able to pull the covers out of the case itself. Then you can put all the movies/cds in a binder, and keep all the artwork, which you can always buy those cases in bulk and put back in a new case at a later date.

Instead of having someone else ship things for you, the USPS has a thing called "General Delivery". Usually the hub office of the city will allow for you to deliver your mail directly to the post office, and you pick it up from there. No P.O. box or anything else needed, its a free service. They will hold on to it for up to 30 days. If you know which city you are going to, you can search their site and see which one offers it.

Personally, I sleep better on a cot, then an air mattress. Might be from doing it a lot in the military, but takes up very little space when folded, and if you prefer a FIRM style mattress, a cot might be better.

For Extended stay hotels: When I moved to Phoenix, AZ, I needed a place thinking I wasn't going to be there long. I looked around online and saw that Ex was just under $700 a month. This was a minimum of 30 day stay (which is their best rate, 30 or 60 days paid in advance). It had a kitchenette with a range top, microwave, and full size fridge. I had a foreman grill and a toaster oven, and was able to cook everything I would in a full size kitchen. This was 7 or 8 years ago, but with no commitment, wifi included, cable included, AC included (IN PHOENIX) I would set it to 61 degrees when I slept, and I would just use two heavy blankets. It would be 115 out, and didn't cost me an extra penny. It was only about 350-400 sq ft, but much cheaper than an apartment when you factor in all utilities, (plus maid service once a week, free oatmeal, muffins, bananas, coffee, and hot chocolate).

As for an apartment: Once you get there, or even before you do, look for an apartment locator service. The hotel got bought out, and raised their prices by $400 a month, and It wasn't worth it. I found an apt locator near me off craigslist, and went to it in the morning. It cost $10 (for a criminal and credit check). I told him I was ready to move in right away, that I wanted an in unit W/D, no carpeting, first floor, what general area, and a few other details. For those who have credit or legal problems, he knew who wasn't going to rule you out right away saving a lot of time, (my guess it that was the bulk of his business). I went back a few hours later, after lunch, and he had a list of places for me. He had some that had move in specials, and some that didn't. The second place I looked at I liked, and signed the contract that night. I put him down as a referral, and that's how he got paid, by the apartment for the referral, not by me. I moved in the next morning. I was pretty happy with the place for the next two years, until I got a new neighbor that was trashy. I would definitely do it again if I was looking, and didn't have an exact place I wanted to be or didn't have the time to search.

Old 07-12-2019, 05:10 AM

7,185 posts, read 9,320,007 times
I helped my daughter move from California to Colorado when she was trying to get everything into her Mazda 3.

We thought we would never make it. But then she discovered that she could use UPS to ship boxes filled with excess stuff.

That worked.

Old 07-12-2019, 01:01 PM

4,865 posts, read 4,179,855 times
When I moved across the country with nothing but what I could fit in my Oldsmobile Alero and not enough gas money to turn around if I changed my mind I learned to pack as much as I could in the back seat then put the windows down and keep piling. Put the windows up little by little and just drop stuff in. Don't forget the space under the seat (don't put much under the driver or anything that could slide out under your feet).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues