Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 07:08 AM

10 posts, read 25,196 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

My name is Tyler and I'm 23 and have lived in New Jersey all my life. I think it's time for a change for me. My girlfriend and I are both done college -- she works in wealth management and I work in public accounting. We are considering moving out West eventually, not exactly tomorrow, but probably within the next 5 years or so I would say. NJ- though it's my home, it is just far to densely populated and expensive to live in for me. Outdoor activities are huge in my life, such as hiking, backpacking and camping. New Jersey just doesn't offer what I know different parts of this country can. We are interested in Colorado, Arizona, and Utah mainly. But we are not limited to these states. Scenery is something we are definitely looking for, as well as a place with a stable economy so we could both relocate our jobs without being underemployed. We also both love to ski. As far as weather goes, NJ sees both cold winters and hot summers so the weather varying in each state is not a huge factor for us. Based on this information, would anyone be able to recommend certain areas over others that I could look more into?

Thank you so much in advance for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2013, 09:09 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJtyler View Post
My girlfriend and I are both done college...
does that mean graduated with degrees?

-- she works in wealth management and I work in public accounting...
does that mean professional level jobs? (vs support or janitorial?)
eligible for the CPA and CFP exams?

Based on this information...
You're 23 with no obligations or commitments.
Go. Where really doesn't matter.

But if you actually have degrees and real jobs in accounting & wealth management...
then focus on lining up *something* related to that in advance of just showing up somewhere.

Old 07-01-2013, 09:20 AM

10,688 posts, read 7,708,541 times
Default Choices

I'm an old guy that lived basically in the South and Mid-west until 1990. I went on a business trip (driving) to Colorado and was so impressed that the next year I took my wife and kids back on vacation the following year. Soon after I started looking for a new job, and, bingo, there was one in the Denver metro area. It took about seven months(!!!) to land the position, but I got it.

We moved and have loved the west ever since even though we are temporarily stuck in the Southwest which is not nearly as appealing. Next year when she retires we are heading for SE Idaho, on the plains but close to Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons (about 90 miles).

Arizona is not going to have the climate that you want. It's far too hot in the summer and that limits outdoor activities. Your best bet would be to live in Flagstaff if you were there, but jobs will be a problem. And it really is the southwest as opposed to the west.

Denver metro (or Colorado Springs for eye appeal) would be a good choice and may have positions available. The great thing about Denver is that, although you are in a huge metro area, within 20-25 minutes you can be driving up through the foothills into the mountains. Realize though, that Denver is like a great accordion with traffic flowing out on Fridays into the mountains and compressing back into the city on Sundays--and it can be extreme at times. Coming down out of those mountains is a challenge for a good driver as the downslope can add speed quickly. Too many drivers ride their brakes, burning them up, rather than long pump then release.

Driving into Wyoming is fairly easy, although getting to Yellowstone is a full day's drive. Drive south into Colorado Springs and you can visit Garden of the Gods state park or drive west from there and up the dirt road to Pike's Peak (make sure you know mountain driving--downhill traffic always yields to uphill traffic). Still further south and west is Great Sand Dunes National Park, a unique park that looks like part of the Sahara desert. Go west out of Denver, drive through the terrific mountains and canyons to Grand Junction and go up Colorado National Monument--a panoramic view of desert and mountains from many vantage points at the top. Or drive up to Grand Mesa, just east of Grand Junction. Views looking down onto GJ and during about a three week period a fantastic array of wildflowers spreads across the mesa.

The scenery and climate are wonderful. It can be 100 degrees in the summer, but if you walk into the shade you are comfortable. It can be 25 in the winter but if you walk into the sun likewise. It was nothing to shovel snow with just a jeans and a long-sleeved shirt. You can go up to Red Rocks Ampitheater and look out over Denver and 30 miles of plains.

Denver has plenty of cultural opportunities, theaters, a performing arts center, music hall, museums galore, and, of course, a plethora of night clubs if you want to call those culture.

SLC I'm not as familiar with. But my best friend's son recently was hired by an investment firm right out of Univ. of Colorado and is apparently enjoying a thriving beginning to his career. SLC is also close to the mountains and has a similar climate, though perhaps not as many sunny days as Denver. The city has wide streets and used to be very clean. I'm not sure about now. But you just didn't see paper blowing around, etc. Socially it is heavily influenced by Latter Day Saints (just like SE Idaho where we hope to move) and that can be a drawback for some folks.

But you're not far from Provo where I believe BYU is located--a gorgeous city, wide streets, cleaner than SLC, located against a ridge of mountains. Out of SLC you can drive south or southeast to get into the desert areas. Central Utah has high, flat, green covered pastures that appear to be sheep country. East of St. George there are Bryce and Zion National Parks. Central Utah has Capitol Reef and near the Colorado border in the south is Monument Valley and near the border in the north is Canyonlands and another park whose name has slipped my mind (outside Moab). Drive north from SLC and you are in Idaho, not too far from the Sawtooth mountains, and, of course, the Perrine Bridge near Twin Falls, the only bridge in the U.S. you to base jump. The Shoshone Falls are higher than Niagra although the river below is not quite as wild. Quite beautiful, though.

And the other great thing about living out west is that it is entirely possible to escape heavily populated areas to get a little soulful respite from every day life.

Costwise, look at both Colorado and Utah carefully. They are not inexpensive places to live--although neither is Jersey. But the costs may hit you differently than in Jersey. Neither state is retirement friendly which is why we are looking to Idaho when we have family in Denver. But our two sojourns in Denver metro, six years the first time, and eight the second, plus our many trips up into Wyoming and Montana made us madly in love with the West. You will enjoy it if you like the outdoors.

Good luck with your plans--and visit both areas before making a choice---once in the winter, once in the summer, so you know what you may be faced with. Arizona is nice to visit, but I don't want to live there!

Old 07-01-2013, 09:33 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,646,108 times
Colorado for outdoors lifestyle. Arizona, maybe Northern, but I think Colorado still would win on that account.

Old 07-01-2013, 09:34 AM

2,516 posts, read 5,685,319 times
I willl agree with Warden's comments, I don't think you'd like Arizona. If your move is further out and closer to the 5 year mark on your "within 5 years" timeline, you could plan a trip to hit some areas that may interest you. Say, you and your girl take a week or 2 weeks off and fly to Denver. Spend a couple of days in Denver, drive up to Fort collins or down to Colorado Springs maybe. From there, drive to Salt Lake City. Maybe go up to Boise, ID. Something like that.
Seattle and Portland may interest you as well. The pacific northwest is gorgeous. If you can handle the dreary winters, they may be right up your alley.

Old 07-01-2013, 09:35 AM

MrRational, yes you are correct. We both have undergrad business degrees. She's currently studying for the Series 7 exam while I am currently taking the CPA exam. (wish me luck!) Within the next year or so, she will be begin studying for the CFP exam. I realize the Northeast is the financial capital of the country, but there should be adequate jobs out West, correct? Perhaps I should stick closer to cities- perhaps Denver?

Old 07-01-2013, 09:47 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJtyler View Post
I realize the Northeast is the financial capital of the country,
but there should be adequate jobs out West, correct?
financial capital also includes industry/sector centers.
(several are in the mid west (Des Moines, Minneapolis, etc)

adequate = the active small & medium business CPA's and such
are the adult children of the CPA's and such that their the clients parents used.
It's hard to break into these or get beyond the lower levels.

Quote:
Perhaps I should stick closer to cities- perhaps Denver?
No question of it. In fact, you really have no choice but to do that.

As regards licensing and all that... pick a big state that you can move around within.
Odds are that within 4-9 years you'll be wanting (or needing) to move again.

Old 07-01-2013, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
I'm an old guy that lived basically in the South and Mid-west until 1990. I went on a business trip (driving) to Colorado and was so impressed that the next year I took my wife and kids back on vacation the following year. Soon after I started looking for a new job, and, bingo, there was one in the Denver metro area. It took about seven months(!!!) to land the position, but I got it.

Has the job market (especially for services like accounting/wealth management)
strengthened/weakened/stayed the same?

We moved and have loved the west ever since even though we are temporarily stuck in the Southwest which is not nearly as appealing. Next year when she retires we are heading for SE Idaho, on the plains but close to Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons (about 90 miles).

Close to Yellowstone sounds extremely ideal, but it's safe to say the job market is quite small there, correct?

Denver metro (or Colorado Springs for eye appeal) would be a good choice and may have positions available. The great thing about Denver is that, although you are in a huge metro area, within 20-25 minutes you can be driving up through the foothills into the mountains. Realize though, that Denver is like a great accordion with traffic flowing out on Fridays into the mountains and compressing back into the city on Sundays--and it can be extreme at times. Coming down out of those mountains is a challenge for a good driver as the downslope can add speed quickly. Too many drivers ride their brakes, burning them up, rather than long pump then release.

I've done a little research, and everyone seems to say that the Denver area is the place to live in the West. I'm going to seriously consider this area.

And the other great thing about living out west is that it is entirely possible to escape heavily populated areas to get a little soulful respite from every day life.

This, outside of job security, is probably the single most important thing that I'm looking for. Jersey just doesn't offer that.

Costwise, look at both Colorado and Utah carefully. They are not inexpensive places to live--although neither is Jersey. But the costs may hit you differently than in Jersey. Neither state is retirement friendly which is why we are looking to Idaho when we have family in Denver. But our two sojourns in Denver metro, six years the first time, and eight the second, plus our many trips up into Wyoming and Montana made us madly in love with the West. You will enjoy it if you like the outdoors.

I guess I better start saving up now, with moving expenses and all. It is probably best to have at least 6 months banked income, would you say?

Good luck with your plans--and visit both areas before making a choice---once in the winter, once in the summer, so you know what you may be faced with. Arizona is nice to visit, but I don't want to live there!
That is an excellent tidbit. Will absolutely do. Thank you so much for your input!

Old 07-01-2013, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhharu View Post
I willl agree with Warden's comments, I don't think you'd like Arizona. If your move is further out and closer to the 5 year mark on your "within 5 years" timeline, you could plan a trip to hit some areas that may interest you. Say, you and your girl take a week or 2 weeks off and fly to Denver. Spend a couple of days in Denver, drive up to Fort collins or down to Colorado Springs maybe. From there, drive to Salt Lake City. Maybe go up to Boise, ID. Something like that.
Seattle and Portland may interest you as well. The pacific northwest is gorgeous. If you can handle the dreary winters, they may be right up your alley.
I actually do have some family in the Seattle area. I could probably go out and see them at some point and visit both Seattle and Portland. And define "dreary winter". For me Jersey has a pretty miserable winter. Gets down to about 20 degrees at worst, snow comes and goes. I know it could be colder elsewhere in the country, but for me the winter is miserable because of how short the days are not necessarily because of the temperature.

Old 07-01-2013, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post

adequate = the active small & medium business CPA's and such
are the adult children of the CPA's and such that their the clients parents used.
It's hard to break into these or get beyond the lower levels.
I would have never taken this into consideration, good point. But, career advancement is not necessarily the most important thing to me. Work life balance is something I absolutely value so I'm not necessarily limiting myself to only being a CPA until I retire. Happiness is definitely key.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues