Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 01:26 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,487,749 times

Advertisements

What about Texas? Lower cost of living, friendly people, laid back culture (except maybe Dallas). And you can still go shooting ... with just about anybody LOL! Houston is real up and coming and has a beach, sports, arts, theater, wildlife refuges, lakes. As well as a financial district.

Buffalo Bayou Park greenway offers great views of the Houston skyline.

Wildlife refuge

Wildlife refuge visitors celebrate Earth Day - Your Houston News: News

Great schools reviews:

Houston Schools - Houston Texas School Ratings - Public and Private

Unless you're determined to have snow, of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2013, 03:26 PM

7,514 posts, read 13,613,851 times
Exclamation Jobs in Denver

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritishEscapee View Post
Dear all,

We're currently working on finding jobs in the USA as the situation in the UK has become too dire for us (we have a 9 yr old son and whilst we loved London before he was born, we couldn't afford a big enough place in a nice area after he was born, so eventually we escaped to the UK Suffolk countryside 4 years ago, but have found the commute back to London terrible (no seats on v. expensive trains, takes 2 hrs door to door) and the state schools awful. We've had to send our son to private school and the people there are v. snobby and Stepford wives-y.

All in all, UK situation makes us desire access to open country, better state schools so we don't need to see snobs daily, shorter commute and more affordable homes. Getting a job in Wall Street would be easiest as my husband has his NY Bar qualification and works in finance but we've started to think about Denver Colorado too for its presumably less urban feel, access to more nature than New Jersey (area we'd expect to live in to commute to Wall Street) but would we feel out of international angles on the job front (currently husband has v. international looking role in London and he likes that...) but would it indeed be that way or does Denver have jobs in interesting international facing companies? We haven't a clue where we should focus our search - key aspects for me are: affordable homes (c. $500,000 tops depending on pay), greenery within walking distance (here we have fields round the corner for dog walks and picnics) or at a pinch good size garden and short drive to greenery, commute to work of less than 1 hour ideally, good state schools and friendly safe non-snobby attractive looking neighborhood. We're looking to escape UK snobs and I have a feeling Denver and NJ would both be good but let me know your experiences please!

A lot to ask but your thoughts would be valued!
The Denver metro area has 9 Fortune 500 companies. See this list Fortune 500 2012: States: Colorado Companies - FORTUNE on CNNMoney.com

Some may not have International operations, but most do. Research their home pages for more info.

Also you could post an inquiry re Denver job market, etc on this CD forum
//www.city-data.com/forum/denver/

Good Luck, you'll love Denver

Also you can watch job postings in the Denver newspaper here http://www.denverpost.com/jobs
I searched on International Finance, got 15 hits, 2 of which looked interesting.

Last edited by reed303; 07-02-2013 at 03:40 PM..

Old 07-02-2013, 05:56 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,073,130 times
Okay...so somehow it escaped you that England is a VERY class oriented society. I assume you are Americans, but maybe enlighten us?

You don't say what your background is...education, experience and career wise, so let's run with the hubby.

He sounds like a middle of the road staff person. Perhaps does in-house legal stuff, or actuarial, or something of that nature. He doesn't line like a line employee doing deals, trading, or selling. Correct?

But, he has been in the City for some years? He has a law degree? He works for something more than a two person shop?

So.....network. What options does his company have? What about their competitors? What about law school buddies? How about people at his firm, or folks who have left? Where did they go? What about customers? What do they suggest? Industry groups? Surely he belongs to some professional society and knows other members. What do they have in mind/contacts/openings? Here are a revolutionary idea: contact a head hunter in his field and see where they are recruiting, or who they know, or who they can pout him in touch with? If he is doing international stuff, there are head hunters in London who are searching for 'global' types for their 'global' clients.

I can't believe you don't know these things and have turned to a chat room to find a new job. Hint: there are no jobs here. If you want to make a move, you have to engineer it. Create dialogue. Open doors. Make things happen. Suggest ideas to people in the industry. Demonstrate that you bring special skills. Show people that you are dynamic and understand that it is a dog eat dog world where the sleepy/weak dogs get eaten for breakfast, and the players joke about it over lunch.

I have a feeling that there is a reason you abhor the social climbers in your community. In London you could hide, but in a smaller community you either run with the fast dogs or they talk about you over cocktails, to which you are not invited. You need to get out there and hustle if you think you can come to America and run with the big dogs in Denver, Houston, or especially New York.

Good luck.

Old 07-03-2013, 02:26 AM

1 posts, read 600 times
Quote:
Dear all,

We're currently working on finding jobs in the USA as the situation in the UK has become too dire for us (we have a 9 yr old son and whilst we loved London before he was born, we couldn't afford a big enough place in a nice area after he was born, so eventually we escaped to the UK Suffolk countryside 4 years ago, but have found the commute back to London terrible (no seats on v. expensive trains, takes 2 hrs door to door) and the state schools awful. We've had to send our son to private school and the people there are v. snobby and Stepford wives-y.

All in all, UK situation makes us desire access to open country, better state schools so we don't need to see snobs daily, shorter commute and more affordable homes. Getting a job in Wall Street would be easiest as my husband has his NY Bar qualification and works in finance but we've started to think about Denver Colorado too for its presumably less urban feel, access to more nature than New Jersey (area we'd expect to live in to commute to Wall Street) but would we feel out of international angles on the job front (currently husband has v. international looking role in London and he likes that...) but would it indeed be that way or does Denver have jobs in interesting international facing companies? We haven't a clue where we should focus our search - key aspects for me are: affordable homes (c. $500,000 tops depending on pay), greenery within walking distance (here we have fields round the corner for dog walks and picnics) or at a pinch good size garden and short drive to greenery, commute to work of less than 1 hour ideally, good state schools and friendly safe non-snobby attractive looking neighborhood. We're looking to escape UK snobs and I have a feeling Denver and NJ would both be good but let me know your experiences please!

A lot to ask but your thoughts would be valued!
Hello there! Welcome to the United States in advance. Just to let you know, getting a big house is not practical especially in this kind of economy. My suggestion, opt for right space apartment, loft type or small condo unit, and if you are worrying about your stuff, you may check out Storage Systems USA - What Can We Store For You? as they can cater and keep your excess stuff in a perfect environment. Check them out!

Old 07-03-2013, 05:03 AM

24 posts, read 46,176 times
Wink WOW Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
What about Texas? Lower cost of living, friendly people, laid back culture (except maybe Dallas). And you can still go shooting ... with just about anybody LOL! Houston is real up and coming and has a beach, sports, arts, theater, wildlife refuges, lakes. As well as a financial district.

Buffalo Bayou Park greenway offers great views of the Houston skyline.

Wildlife refuge

Wildlife refuge visitors celebrate Earth Day - Your Houston News: News

Great schools reviews:

Houston Schools - Houston Texas School Ratings - Public and Private

Unless you're determined to have snow, of course.
Texas sounds lovely! We love country music so that's the kind of area isn't it. Plus horses.... will look into it thank you!!!

Old 07-03-2013, 05:04 AM

Wink Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantebrown1986 View Post
Hello there! Welcome to the United States in advance. Just to let you know, getting a big house is not practical especially in this kind of economy. My suggestion, opt for right space apartment, loft type or small condo unit, and if you are worrying about your stuff, you may check out Storage Systems USA - What Can We Store For You? as they can cater and keep your excess stuff in a perfect environment. Check them out!
Luckily we have only really old Ikea stuff so will be starting small and with new stuff!

Old 07-03-2013, 05:07 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,569,549 times
Colorado Springs south of Denver has much cleaner air. My son lives there. I've been there and loved it.

Old 07-03-2013, 07:18 AM

14,768 posts, read 8,099,433 times
Yeah, Colorado Springs is awesome. I have family there also.

Old 07-03-2013, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantebrown1986 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Okay...so somehow it escaped you that England is a VERY class oriented society. I assume you are Americans, but maybe enlighten us?

You don't say what your background is...education, experience and career wise, so let's run with the hubby.

He sounds like a middle of the road staff person. Perhaps does in-house legal stuff, or actuarial, or something of that nature. He doesn't line like a line employee doing deals, trading, or selling. Correct?

But, he has been in the City for some years? He has a law degree? He works for something more than a two person shop?

So.....network. What options does his company have? What about their competitors? What about law school buddies? How about people at his firm, or folks who have left? Where did they go? What about customers? What do they suggest? Industry groups? Surely he belongs to some professional society and knows other members. What do they have in mind/contacts/openings? Here are a revolutionary idea: contact a head hunter in his field and see where they are recruiting, or who they know, or who they can pout him in touch with? If he is doing international stuff, there are head hunters in London who are searching for 'global' types for their 'global' clients.

I can't believe you don't know these things and have turned to a chat room to find a new job. Hint: there are no jobs here. If you want to make a move, you have to engineer it. Create dialogue. Open doors. Make things happen. Suggest ideas to people in the industry. Demonstrate that you bring special skills. Show people that you are dynamic and understand that it is a dog eat dog world where the sleepy/weak dogs get eaten for breakfast, and the players joke about it over lunch.

I have a feeling that there is a reason you abhor the social climbers in your community. In London you could hide, but in a smaller community you either run with the fast dogs or they talk about you over cocktails, to which you are not invited. You need to get out there and hustle if you think you can come to America and run with the big dogs in Denver, Houston, or especially New York.

Good luck.

Thanks for the interesting feedback but you are very mistaken - we are British and thus there is no reason we would know about the US situation - hence the nickname 'BritishEscapee' - sadly, can't help where one is born but we are looking for a more meritocratic society - sadly there will always be twerps everywhere, of course, that is clear, but I would have hoped that you like other kinder respondents would be pleased we think of your country as a good bet for a better future for our son especially.

Importantly, we are not looking for jobs through this site in the slightest (!) and not sure where you got that idea from. My husband works for a UK top 100 firm, is just below board level and is not just a qualified lawyer in the UK but also has the NY bar and many many financial qualifications - just a few rude assumptions you make which are totally wrong. We're not in the slightest trying to 'hide' but tired of boring people who think the size of their car or house is any indication of the size of their wit or interest.

Rather I'm casually looking for tips on areas - though clearly before we move we would do some harder research.

Interestingly there have been wonderful and generous replies on the New Jersey forum and some lovely ones on here, but some very odd aggressive and disparaging responses on here this particular forum, so I'll probably not bother continuing to check this one out - sorry (and thanks) to all those nice respondents though - your generous contributions have been wonderful, but I just can't bear the nasties!

Old 07-03-2013, 11:39 AM

24 posts, read 48,100 times
Quote:
Thanks for the interesting feedback but you are very mistaken - we are British ...

Importantly, we are not looking for jobs through this site in the slightest (!) and not sure where you got that idea from. My husband works for a UK top 100 firm, is just below board level and is not just a qualified lawyer in the UK but also has the NY bar and many many financial qualifications -
BritishEscape, if you and your husband are British, did you check the Immigration requirements prior to searching for jobs here? I am an immigrant myself, and for all I know, the only way your husband can legally be hired here is if his immigration work visa request is sponsored by his employer.

In other words, your husband cannot just move here and look for a job. If a company here wants your husband, they will request the immigration visa for him, and as part of this process, your visa and you child's would be processed as well.

After your family's legal immigration process is sorted out, as soon as you get your visa, then you should immediately apply to get you SSN (Social Security Number), as this document is absolutely necessary to obtain drivers license, open bank accounts, obtain a mortgage, etc.

If you want more information, I suggest you post your situation on the Legal Immigration forum, there are many posters there with knowledge of the US Immigration laws and they can help you. Good luck!

Last edited by nooneishere; 07-03-2013 at 11:48 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues