Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 03:19 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times

Advertisements

Inland Empire, socal to smallish town in the middle of open land in OK.

First, because it was just what I'd wanted. There is open space. It isn't rushed. Sometimes this an exagerated but generally is what I prefer. I had a friend who lived here who got me sufficently interested I even had planned to look at the houses I'd been following online. The house was less than a fraction of a down payment in socal. But it has proven the right place for me in the end.

Things which didn't matter were politics and religon. I'm wiccan/pagan and eclectic in my politcs but I don't consider either of those things matter.

What really sealed the deal was the sky. It was a beautiful blue. Socal where I lived has the worse air quality in the nation and the sky takes on this awful and smelly grey goupy look almost the whole year. You get a few months of decent air in the winter. Here, yes we have storms and snow and below freezing in winter, (and tornados) but the air being breathable trumps all of it. And driving along with ALL the trees is so awesome.

It was funny how my friends said I'd notice the wind but then I just called them santa anas and where I lived it was always windy. Dealt with fire danger and such too. I deny I brought the earthquakes we've had with me.

So the landscape and the pace and friendlyness of the people would be it in a nutshell.

My son who is grown doesn't want to move here but other relatives have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2013, 09:43 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,293,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstate Nancy View Post
Or factors that made you move, other than job! That's an easier decision, need a job, get an offer and go, but if your job/income was not a consideration or your job could be anywhere, what 2 factors made it a deal for you?
Just curious. I know for myself what my priorities/important factors are in the decision process, but what are yours?
The most recent move:
1. Climate
2. Family

The previous move:
1. Cheap land
2. Cheap land

Old 07-13-2013, 01:47 AM

12,477 posts, read 17,794,686 times
Must be near mountains
Temps must be as cool to cold as possible
Sunshine not a priority

Old 07-13-2013, 11:13 AM

303 posts, read 540,121 times
We're currently coordinating a move from Louisville KY to Sacramento CA. Factors for us were:

1.) Weather - We're outdoors people, especially in running, so we looked for a climate with low humidity but still had a variation of temperatures (seasons)

2.) Culture - We don't embrace the 'southern'/'conservative'/'religious' way of life as many people we know in KY so we looked for a town that was liberal and progressive with an open mind

3.) Family - Though all our family lives here, they are all travelers who would visit often (including the grandparents)

4.) City - We love being downtown and walking to where we need to go (we're a one-car household) but we didn't want a HUGE city but somewhere that still had green space and driving access to rural areas for out-of-town trips for different scenery.

We have no desire to own a house or have kids for at least another 5-7 years though so that was certainly a factor. I'd say we'll move again when we reach that point in our lives.

Old 03-02-2014, 12:00 AM

224 posts, read 947,076 times
Currently considering a move from New England (not Boston area) to Las Vegas. I thought I would never move out of the NE again but time has proven me wrong. In my 40s, I've finally learned to never say never. Anyway, here are my top considerations in the move:

1. Lower housing and cost of living in Vegas than here.

2. Climate. I used to like the cold but I started becoming intolerant of it as I hit my late 30s. Now I no longer enjoy it. I was always a heat wimp, so I was shocked on my last visit to Vegas (I go about twice a year) to find I was actually liking the hot summer there better than the cold winter here. That's probably what planted the seed re: moving.

3. Allergies. My tree pollen allergies are getting progressively worse each spring. The last couple years I've been miserable for 4-6 solid weeks in April/May/June as things bloom. I'm also sensitive to mosquito/bug bites and there are a ton of them out here since we're basically in the woods. The humidity here in summer is awful as well.

4. My daughter (16) is a dancer and also wants to become a makeup artist. There are no job opportunities in those fields where we currently live. She would have to move anyway once she hit 18 to find a job. (She also hates the winter/snow.)

5. Three of my best friends live in/near Vegas. Then I have another set of good friends in LA and SoCal, also some in San Jose. I would get to see my friends again, more than once every 10 years. And I would get to actually socialize in person with my best friends more than twice a year.

6. We've had a horrible run of rotten luck the past couple years. I am talking major traumatic events. A fresh start in a new place couldn't hurt. We really should have moved when the bad luck began, but I thought rocking the boat in that way would make things worse. Instead, staying made things worse. Oops.

There are other reasons, but those are the biggest ones.

Old 03-02-2014, 02:36 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,609,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucy1965 View Post
Having friends nearby and political/social norms that are a good fit.
Yes, that ended up being one of the tie breakers for me, too. I moved for work, but I had a choice of several cities.

My other concerns: less than 20 minute commute to work and close to affordable grocery stores, "Y" or gym, metro park(s) . . . and

In the Midwest! I knew that I could live almost anywhere in the Midwest and adjust within days. Not so other areas of the country.

Old 03-02-2014, 04:11 PM

207 posts, read 445,441 times
1. Jobs!
2. Climate. I just can't take the cold anymore
3. Has to be friendly to transplants
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues