Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 05:43 PM

1 posts, read 8,130 times

Advertisements

I'm about to move from Boston, MA to Austin, TX, and I'm trying to decide whether I can get away with just one Relocube. I'm leaning toward yes because it's almost exactly half the size of the UHaul truck my roommate and I used to move across town, and my roommate definitely has more stuff than I do. I'm still not 100% convinced, though. I'm making the drive there a vacation road trip with friends, so I have little or no space to play with.

The big stuff I need to be able to fit:
Full size mattress and box spring (no frame)
Tall chest of drawers (6 high)
Tall bookshelf (probably a little over 6' high by 2'-ish wide)
Square dining room table and 4 chairs
Small futon
2 suitcases - one large, one carry-on
3 under-the-bed bins

Plus all my clothes, linens, etc. I'm a 24y/o girl, but my wardrobe is pretty small, relatively speaking.
I'm also boxing up a bike. In a perfect world, this would go in the Cube, but I can ship it if necessary.

I appreciate any thoughts/input/experience anyone has. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2013, 07:17 AM

521 posts, read 4,400,191 times
The interior dimensions of a ReloCube are 70"L x 82"W x 93"H or 308 cubic feet. Your bed and furniture will take up most of the floor space.

Measure each item being transported to determine it's cubic dimensions. Multiply the length x width x height in inches and then divide by 1728.

It's the amount of misc and etc that might be the problem.

Old 07-12-2013, 10:06 AM

105 posts, read 273,689 times
I'm about to find out in a week if all my stuff will fit. For funiture, I have a 2 piece sectional couch, queen sized bed and box spring with a frame that breaks down, and a 5' long chest of drawers. As well as numerous boxes full of kitchen and bathroom items. ABF claims the relocube will work for a 1 br apartment which is what I have so fingers crossed everything fits.

Old 07-13-2013, 10:16 AM

4 posts, read 78,794 times
If you call Relocube and find out where your closest location is, you can go there and ask to see an empty cube. You might be able to get a better idea when you see one in person. If you pack them right to maximize your space, they seem to hold quite a bit.

Old 07-13-2013, 11:24 AM

7,467 posts, read 13,459,966 times
To get an idea if 1 Cube was enough, try what I did. Get a roll of masking tape and a tape measure. Go to living room, bedroom or garage. Start in one corner, measure 70" one direction, 82" in the other. Then use tape on floor to make a rectangle. Most ceilings are 96" H, Cube is 93. Now imagine packing your stuff in that space. ( or actually, as I did in garage).

If you get down to a few light boxes that won't fit, send them by UPS or Fedex Ground

Old 05-11-2014, 10:58 PM

7 posts, read 18,877 times
How did your u box situation go what we're you able to fit in there

Old 05-11-2014, 11:00 PM

978 posts, read 2,040,090 times
Have you considered the trailer? The trailer, in a lot of cases, is actually cheaper. You pay for only the space you use.

Old 05-12-2014, 09:39 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,543,352 times
The cubes fit in a standard parking space, so they are fairly small. I used two for my move.

You got some good advice on this thread. I'll just add that when I couldn't fit some of the clothing boxes in mine, I double-bagged the clothing in two clear contractor bags (like they use in trash barrels at concerts - the DIY stores carry them) and stuffed those into the spaces. It helped make the cube "high and tight" so nothing moved around and I was able to fit more in.

I used clear bags so everyone could see they were clothes and not trash.

Old 05-12-2014, 10:01 AM

688 posts, read 1,094,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by attrapereves View Post
Have you considered the trailer? The trailer, in a lot of cases, is actually cheaper. You pay for only the space you use.
The trailer can be cheaper the more cubes you need, but I found that I would have to take my stuff to the trailer terminal to load, and I would have to pick my stuff up at a terminal at the destination, too, so not really cheaper than a cube dropped off at your door on both ends when you consider additional truck rentals, and the cost of my time and patience for additional loadings/unloadings and hassles for the trailer.

The 3rd cube is the deal breaker, financially. One cube would be great, but from the OP's description, I don't see how all of that, with the furniture she is describing, would all fit in one cube.

Old 05-12-2014, 12:41 PM

231 posts, read 379,330 times
I am not sure if the relocubes have a weight limit, but you may want to check on that too. I know with Packrat, while it looks like I can fit all of my stuff in their 16' container, it may end up being too heavy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues