Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2013, 01:08 AM

303 posts, read 540,121 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone! My partner and I are moving with our two cats from Louisville KY to Sacramento CA in January '14. I would love any advice you have on moving so far across the country, traveling with pets, driving that far, etc. We will be driving my 2007 Nissan Versa with the cats and having the few belongings we're taking with us shipped via U-Box by U-Haul.

I have never had a road trip more than 5 hours and I have never travelled west of Bowling Green KY so driving advice and advice about the West would be great. We are thinking of taking Hwy-80 most of the way but I'm not sure how that road is in January since we'd pass through southern Nebraska, Wyoming, northern Nevada, and Utah.

Any advice you could give would be much appreciated! THANKS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2013, 01:44 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
Why would you take the northern route in January? I suggest you take the southern route, then go north once you get to CA. That would be 40, if I remember correctly. Then take I-5 north.

Old 07-12-2013, 01:19 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,293,258 times
Take the southern route.

Check for cat-friendly hotels ahead of time.

When you get to your hotel, check for cat hazards and hiding places before you let your cats out of the carriers, or you may have to take the bed apart in the morning. I once found a hole in the wall (for plumbing maintenance) that a cat could have squeezed through. Imagine trying to leave in the morning and realizing your cat is in the wall somewhere! (I covered it before letting the cats out.) Take tape and cardboard in case you need to cover any hiding places.

Even in January, it might be too warm to leave cats in the car, so don't plan on leisurely restaurant lunches. For your cats' sake, get from hotel to hotel as quickly as possible.

Old 07-12-2013, 04:35 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,656,371 times
Get your cats used to being in the carrier and in the car driving before the long trip. Mine did fine. I put on relaxing music during the trip and talked to them a lot, too. We started hotel looking though by 4 p just to get them, and us, settled in. That decreased their stress and ours. We went cross country w/ them.

Old 07-13-2013, 12:11 PM

303 posts, read 540,121 times
Thanks everyone! The southern route is the way to go then. I don't know why I would think the northern one would be okay in January but I've never been that far north before so who knows.

@sll3454 - thanks so much for the hotel tips! I've never had them in a hotel room but I have a very tiny little girl cat who would just love to hole herself up somewhere! We'll probably be doing a lot of fast-food drive thrus instead of restaurants too, I don't want kitties in the car any longer than necessary.

@Upstate Nancy - I was thinking of getting the kitties used to the car by doing some little around-town trips in the crate we'll be using over the next couple months and then maybe doing one overnight visit to my grandparents so they have a night's experience in a new room. Would that be too much you think?

Old 07-16-2013, 10:35 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
I just realized you were going to Sacramento. It would make sense that any map directions on the internet sent you across the northern route.

But, you will definitely have a more pleasant drive, if you take the southern route to LA, then take I-5 north to Sacto.

Have a great trip and welcome to CA!

Old 07-22-2013, 12:08 PM

470 posts, read 1,073,876 times
Louisville transplant, now in the SF East Bay Area .... Trying to get back to Louiville.

You do want to take the Southern route for sure! Start mapping out your hotels .... thank goodness a ton more hotels now allow pets!! You might find the cats howling while in the carrier, and you say to heck with it, and let them out to relax in the car. Just make sure you get them back in the carrier before opening the car door, so they can't get out!

Have fun on your drive, and welcome to CA!

HUGz! Jules
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues