Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 12:20 PM

2 posts, read 2,376 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking to move out of Wisconsin in about a year. Except we have no idea where to go. I can't stand the harsh WI winters so I'd like to go somewhere warmer, but not humid so I guess going east is out. We live in a town of about 60,000 people and are looking to live in a smaller town surrounded by large cities. We have a daughter that's almost one so it will have to have a good educational system and family oriented activities. Any ideas, suggestions, sources are very much appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2013, 12:28 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,639,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blubrd007 View Post
My husband and I are looking to move out of Wisconsin... we have no idea where to go.
Any ideas...
Find a place where the skills you have are in short supply.
Work the rest in around the edges once you have the GOOD job that should yield.

Old 07-15-2013, 12:42 PM

2,533 posts, read 4,591,765 times
You can't really go wrong with western Washington.

The economy has recovered quite nicely (Seattle-Area Adds More Jobs, Unemployment Dips Below 5% • Seattle Bubble) and the summers are gorgeous.

I moved here 2 years ago from the southeast and don't miss the 90-100 hot humid summer nightmares you get down there. Here it's a much more manageable 60's-80's.

If you like the outdoors you'd be hard pressed to find a better spot... there's all the hiking, fishing, camping you could dream of here while you are surrounded by some of the most beautiful scenery you'll ever see in the U.S.

Winters are mild in the 40's and 50's. For the love of god please don't pay any attention to the "it rains all the time in Seattle" that you read about..... .that couldn't be further from the truth. This region does average 200 or so gray days a year, most of which come from October thru April, but it DOES NOT rain every day. There's quite a few east coast cities that average more annual rainfall than Seattle.

In the end the summers make up for it... we've had sun pretty much every day for a month and the current forecast has 10 more straight days of it. Can't really complain.

If you want snow and skiing just drive an hour up into the mountains and you'll have all the snow you want..... pretty much year round.

Old 07-15-2013, 01:16 PM

2 posts, read 2,376 times
I should've added that my husband is planning to open his own business and I'm a stay at home mom so jobs don't matter much. He can do what he does just about anywhere. And I have heard Washington is lovely, a good friend of ours moved there a few months back and loves it. I've just started looking but Washington is definitely on the list. Thanks!

Old 07-16-2013, 12:40 PM

196 posts, read 208,055 times
Hi, Blubrd. We moved from Wisconsin eleven months ago, after living there for 30+ years. We moved to San Diego, which has fabulous weather. In the winter, 50s and 60s. Now, 60s and 70s, at least along the coast, where we live. Yes, it is pricey, but we don't regret the move at all, even though we were quite emotionally invested in Wisconsin.

Though you haven't mentioned politics, Gov. Walker helped drive us out of WI, and we find CA quite congenial politically . . . though, as I said, it is expensive here. Good luck with your plans.

Old 07-16-2013, 09:59 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,345,757 times
I lived in WA. Moved there from CA. Lived there for 18 years altogether. 200 days of gray skies? Do you realize what that means? Rain or no, it's gloomy most of the time.

I lived all over WA from southern WA at the base of Mt.Adams, to Seattle, to Bellingham, to Sumas.

The joke up there is that you get 9 months of winter, and 3 months of bad sledding.

It's beautiful, but so depressing. I couldn't take it. And i really, really tried!

If you're into gardening, forget it. The growing season is dismal. When I lived in So. WA, there was a contest to see who could get ripe tomatoes before it frosted again. That was only at 2500 feet elevation.

And people would say to me, but we visited there in August and it was so greeeeeen!

And I would say, do the math. August, green, august, green. What would that entail?

Sorry, but no more snow for me, thanks. I gave it a huge portion of my life, and the PNW just couldn't work for me.

I'd rather rent and be poor here where the weather is great, than own my own place and deal with trying not to be depressed while I weeded my garden in the rain.....again.

Old 07-17-2013, 08:27 AM

2,516 posts, read 5,672,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Find a place where the skills you have are in short supply.
Work the rest in around the edges once you have the GOOD job that should yield.
Definitely do not take this advice. Picking your destination based on your job is a great way to leave leave one miserable situation for another. But it looks like with your husband having his own business and you working at home, it's a non-issue.

I would pull up a map and immediately mark off any states that are disqualified (like obviously WI, MN, IA, etc). Eliminate all the states and areas that fit the issue you are trying to escape, harsh winters. Then make a list of possible areas where the weather suits you. Once you have this list, you can start looking at the areas education system checking the forums on this board. You can also google and check other message boards for those areas and statitistics. If a city has poor education and high crime, you can mark it off your list. This should help narrow it down. From there you can do more research and talk to people who live or have lived in those areas to help you with your choice. Or better yet, visit them.

Old 07-17-2013, 01:41 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,639,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhharu View Post
Picking your destination based on your job is a great way to leave leave one miserable
situation for another.
Better miserable... than miserable and destitute.

Quote:
But it looks like with your husband having his own business...
He doesn't have it yet.

Quote:
Or better yet, visit them.
Good idea.
Start with the places where his skills are in short supply.

Old 07-18-2013, 11:16 AM

26,978 posts, read 43,513,776 times
Check out beautiful Frederick, Maryland which would afford a healthy economy to open a business in, warmer winters and humidity similar to where you are now, good public schools and relatively close proximity to Washington DC and Baltimore.

Frederick, Maryland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-21-2013, 03:22 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,803,671 times
I was going to suggestion somewhere in North Carolina. The weather is mild though some parts do get very humid summers. I heard Asheville has more of a mild summer but then does get some snow but nothing like WI.
What type of business is your husband planning on opening and would certain states have more demand for that type of business?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues