Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 08:35 AM

2,516 posts, read 5,686,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
You lost me on 1. What does it matter where I want to live if I can't pay my bills? I like Denver having been looking for a year........and am burning through savings.

I agree with you in theory but that's a bit of an oversimplification.
Not really. Why would you move to a city that you don't like just because there is work there? you are simply going to be miserable. There is a limit. I love San Francisco, but having to work 2 jobs for the next decade would prevent me from enjoying living there. COL is just too high. Fortunatley there are a dozen other cities I'd rather live in than my current. I may not love them like SF, but I can survive without working 2 jobs. Compromise. As much as I hate Dallas, I wouldn't move to Atlanta if I was offered a job doing what I do now for double the salary because I don't like Atlanta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I have never moved anywhere, without a job. This is me...others, are different. But I have no wealthy parents to bail me out. Times are tough...even doctors are not getting handed jobs any longer.
I don't have wealthy parents or anyone to bail me out. I am, however, willing to wait tables, temp, etc do anything to get some type of income. This has always worked for me.

There are jobs out there, I think people are just really picky about what they are willing to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2013, 09:15 AM

5,453 posts, read 8,221,695 times
I would never suggest to someone to move without at least one of you having a job. Besides most places will not rent to you without proof of income filled out by an employer. Unless you have quite a bit of money set aside, I would really advise against this. Instead update your cover letter to include that you are willing to come to them for an interview (on your dime). We relocated several times with hubby obtaining a job from out of state, it can and does happen.

Old 07-25-2013, 09:49 AM

5,020 posts, read 7,447,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassy1 View Post
I would never suggest to someone to move without at least one of you having a job. Besides most places will not rent to you without proof of income filled out by an employer. Unless you have quite a bit of money set aside, I would really advise against this.
This

If you really want to do this.. you have to be more aggressive than just sending your resume and waiting for a response.

Are you following up with phone calls? Have you researched housing costs, including all move in fees?
Have you done your homework as far as how much the costs will be to transfer your car registration, get new drivers licenses, car insurance, all that goes in to what the COL will be in the places you're looking at?

Old 07-25-2013, 11:00 AM

281 posts, read 643,531 times
MrRational..for once (and only this one time ) I agree with you! Unless someone has an extremely unique field they need to figure out where they want to live first and foremost!!!

OP obviously as most have said you need to have several months' worth of living expenses. Don't worry about the apartment yet because there are usually extended stay hotels in every city. It sounds like you've already found where you want to go, or at least a few options. As much as I initially thought I HAD to get a job before relocating, I am thinking differently now. The economy seems to be slowly coming back and there are jobs to be gotten. Maybe not your or your bf's dream job right away, but you both can certainly get jobs within a month or so in any city doing whatever it takes.

I wouldn't stay where you are if you're unhappy and want to try something new...God knows I did it for far too long because I was too chicken to leave!!!

And omg why is the OP's bf a loser just because he doesn't have a specialized degree???
That is a horrible and rude thing to say..just my $.02.

Good luck OP...follow your dreams a little, be rational a lot, but not so much it holds you back!

Old 07-25-2013, 11:21 AM

1,558 posts, read 3,856,739 times
Wow, I don't have a specialized degree....or a degree...guess I'm a loser. But - at least when I move north to Vermont in a few months I'll be available to work any sort of job! Don't you get what the OP was saying?

Sheesh. OP, good luck! I agree...follow your dreams a little....but do be rational. Don't regret not making the jump and staying somewhere you don't want to be. We only get one go round in this life and no one wants to look back with regrets.

Old 07-25-2013, 11:39 AM

25,957 posts, read 22,107,325 times
I got the impression that the boyfriend may not be working at this time and if he can pretty much do anything then he should be looking for a job first. The issue with "anything" hints at no skills and the problem not being a specialized degree. In most areas, "anything" doesn't pay very well. So I think that is where the other poster was coming from.

With a minimum of 12 months living expenses with no job to 18 months, the move might be worth chancing. Also, a family willing to support you should all else fail. Also, both should be willing to work two jobs if necessary and not be adverse to cleaning motel rooms or washing dishes. If you really want something that is probably out of your reach under normal circumstances, you have to be willing to sacrifice.

OP, if your bf isn't working and wanting to move for better chances at employment, I would discourage you from making this move. You must look at the cost of living in the areas and know that without the second income that you could make it on your own.

Old 07-25-2013, 12:22 PM

2,516 posts, read 5,686,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassy1 View Post
I would never suggest to someone to move without at least one of you having a job. Besides most places will not rent to you without proof of income filled out by an employer. Unless you have quite a bit of money set aside, I would really advise against this. Instead update your cover letter to include that you are willing to come to them for an interview (on your dime). We relocated several times with hubby obtaining a job from out of state, it can and does happen.

You do not want to rent an apartment immediately upon arrivel from out of state and especially with no job. In fact, even if you have a job lined up, I would advise against renting an apartment immediately, unless you are originally from the area. There are several options in finding a place to stay temporarily (see my sticky at the top of this forum). Arriving in a new city, it's unlikely you are familiar with the neighborhoods, the commute, etc. You don't know how the new job is going to work or if it will work out at all, so getting yourself locked into a lease in a brand new city is not a good move. That's why I suggest finding short term rentals for the first month or two. This gives you more time to get a feel of the area you want to live, if the job is going to be what it is, etc. Also prevents you from having to break a lease in the event your new job turns out to be a complete nightmare, and you have to find a lesser paying job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfbs2691 View Post
This

If you really want to do this.. you have to be more aggressive than just sending your resume and waiting for a response.

Are you following up with phone calls? Have you researched housing costs, including all move in fees?
Have you done your homework as far as how much the costs will be to transfer your car registration, get new drivers licenses, car insurance, all that goes in to what the COL will be in the places you're looking at?
I was aggressive. I've had dozens of phone interviews with prospective employers. As soon as they find out i'm out of state, I get a dial tone. Certain fields can get a job out of state, most of us can't. It's not a big deal though. I've had 7 interstate moves, never had a job lined up. Never been a problem. I know countless others who have done the same. I'm about to make move #8, won't have a job lined up, but I have savings, and very little debt.

Old 07-25-2013, 06:53 PM

149 posts, read 347,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXred View Post
And omg why is the OP's bf a loser just because he doesn't have a specialized degree???
That is a horrible and rude thing to say..just my $.02.
Thank you! I didn't respond to that idiotic remark because I didn't want to waste my "breath" on it, but I found it rude as well. He's not a loser in any sense and he has many useful skills.

Old 07-25-2013, 06:59 PM

149 posts, read 347,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
I got the impression that the boyfriend may not be working at this time and if he can pretty much do anything then he should be looking for a job first. The issue with "anything" hints at no skills and the problem not being a specialized degree. In most areas, "anything" doesn't pay very well. So I think that is where the other poster was coming from.

With a minimum of 12 months living expenses with no job to 18 months, the move might be worth chancing. Also, a family willing to support you should all else fail. Also, both should be willing to work two jobs if necessary and not be adverse to cleaning motel rooms or washing dishes. If you really want something that is probably out of your reach under normal circumstances, you have to be willing to sacrifice.

OP, if your bf isn't working and wanting to move for better chances at employment, I would discourage you from making this move. You must look at the cost of living in the areas and know that without the second income that you could make it on your own.
Actually, he does have a job right now. No, it's not what he wants to do and yes, he (we) are wanting to move for better chances at employment, but that's not the only reason . This is a very, very small town. There is very little here in the way of jobs period and especially jobs with his skill set...golf pro and he's also got education in nuclear power.

Old 07-26-2013, 09:08 AM

5,020 posts, read 7,447,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xraychick01 View Post
his skill set...golf pro and he's also got education in nuclear power.
If he's a golf pro... I'd definitely suggest living near (not necessarily in) a high end community in Florida or Arizona? As that's obviously where he'd do best finding clients, and I'd think you'd find something in your field as well. FPL has a plant somewhere around WPB.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues