Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 01:55 PM

149 posts, read 347,732 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I are really wanting to move. We have a couple ideas in mind. One being Norfolk, VA area, Charleston, SC area, or Tampa, FL area. We know people in Norfolk and Tampa.

I'm finding it very hard to find a job while living so far away. I feel like this is working against me. The people in VA have my resume as they know several people in my field. The friend in FL said the place she works also has an opening in my field. I've emailed my resume to her supervisor. I haven't heard anything from VA or FL. It's the same thing with every single job I've applied for out of state.

What are your thoughts on relocating without a job? I would prefer to have a job lined up before moving (or better yet, both of us have jobs lined up), but what if that's not possible? Should we just give up on relocating? I work as an x-ray/MRI tech and want to stay in this field. My boyfriend doesn't have a specialized degree or anything so he can do pretty much anything job wise at the moment. Thoughts?? Suggestions?? Experiences??

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2013, 01:58 PM

5,193 posts, read 5,762,421 times
Unless you have quite a bit of money saved that you can live on for several months, I suggest staying where you are. Being homeless and/or hungry is no fun!

Old 07-22-2013, 02:23 PM

2,516 posts, read 5,687,417 times
I've done several interstate moves without a job lined up because of the fields I have experience in aren't going to hire from out of state. Just make sure you guys have money saved up to survive several months on without work and don't be picky with the jobs. You want to establish some income as soon as possible. From there, you can look for a better job.

Old 07-22-2013, 03:03 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xraychick01 View Post
What are your thoughts on relocating without a job (lined up in advance)?
I work as an x-ray/MRI tech and want to stay in this field.
Are you licensed Xray tech or just a fan of them?

If you are licensed... go where your license works.
Have at least 3 months of living expenses with you.

As to the BF... if he doesn't have any useful skill by now...
he's not likely to have one suddenly develop anywhere else either.

Old 07-24-2013, 03:37 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,107,581 times
I would never relocate jobless unless I had several months living expenses saved up.

Old 07-24-2013, 03:56 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,479,644 times
My dilemma right now. Where to best gamble my relocation $$$ in hopes of finding a high tech sales job. I have money saved but it's still several thousand $$$ gamble.

Old 07-24-2013, 04:16 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
Where to best gamble my relocation $$$ in hopes of finding a high tech sales job.
You're all approaching it backward.

1) Where do you WANT to go (for reasons independent of the work) ?
2) What is the best XYZ job in that location?
3) How can I get that job?
3a) How can I be in line for it when it next opens?
3b) What can I do *there* until then?

Old 07-24-2013, 04:24 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,479,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
You're all approaching it backward.

1) Where do you WANT to go (for reasons independent of the work) ?
2) What is the best XYZ job in that location?
3) How can I get that job?
3a) How can I be in line for it when it next opens?
3b) What can I do *there* until then?
You lost me on 1. What does it matter where I want to live if I can't pay my bills? I like Denver having been looking for a year........and am burning through savings.

I agree with you in theory but that's a bit of an oversimplification.

Old 07-24-2013, 10:35 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,360,870 times
I have never moved anywhere, without a job. This is me...others, are different. But I have no wealthy parents to bail me out. Times are tough...even doctors are not getting handed jobs any longer.

Old 07-25-2013, 02:30 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,500,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xraychick01 View Post
My boyfriend and I are really wanting to move. We have a couple ideas in mind. One being Norfolk, VA area, Charleston, SC area, or Tampa, FL area. We know people in Norfolk and Tampa.

I'm finding it very hard to find a job while living so far away. I feel like this is working against me. The people in VA have my resume as they know several people in my field. The friend in FL said the place she works also has an opening in my field. I've emailed my resume to her supervisor. I haven't heard anything from VA or FL. It's the same thing with every single job I've applied for out of state.

What are your thoughts on relocating without a job? I would prefer to have a job lined up before moving (or better yet, both of us have jobs lined up), but what if that's not possible? Should we just give up on relocating? I work as an x-ray/MRI tech and want to stay in this field. My boyfriend doesn't have a specialized degree or anything so he can do pretty much anything job wise at the moment. Thoughts?? Suggestions?? Experiences??

Thanks!
It sounds like the boyfriend is a loser. Sorry, but you're not talking about him finding a job ahead of time. Is the move his idea? Sounds like you are stable, and he is not.

Otherwise, I agree with the other posters that you need to have savings if you are going to move somewhere without a job. If it is all depending on you to come up with the money and/or job, with regards to the boyfriend, please look for a new boyfriend. He's a loser/user.

At least, tell him that you will move once HE finds a job somewhere else and can support the two of you until you find a job...including renting a place on his credit alone, him funding the rental deposit, etc., etc. If he can't do that, please rethink the boyfriend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues