Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 09:05 PM

741 posts, read 1,738,391 times

Advertisements

I am kind of torn on which one to go with: (UHaul Truck + Car Carrier) or (Penske Truck + Car Carrier).

I need to cancel the reservation on one of them within next 2 days.

Advantages I see with UHaul are

1. They seem more helpful in loading and unloading to make sure that Car is strapped and towed by the
truck safely. I believe they charge $20 for loading the car into car carrier and connected to truck and
similarly $10 for unloading. I don't get that comfort with Penske
2. The work timings for Sunday appears to be until 5 PM as opposed to 1 PM for Penske.

Advantages I see with Penske are

1. Cheaper Total Rent Cost
2. Unlimited miles compared to limited miles from UHaul
3. 6 days rent Vs. 5 day rental by UHaul
4. Cheaper Insurance Cost
5. 16 foot Truck Vs. 14 foot truck at a lower cost

Please advice which one I can choose UHaul or Penske?

Would it makes sense to negotiate with UHaul on the cost, miles, days for rent and Insurance by providing the Penske's quotation at the time of Rental.

What are your experience in loading and unloading car in the car carrier towed by the truck with UHaul Vs. Penske?

Please advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2013, 09:48 AM

2,516 posts, read 5,664,752 times
Penske equipment is more reliable than U-haul. I have had nothing but bad luck with U-Haul and refuse to ever use them again even in a situation where they are cheaper. However, in this case you are saving money using them. Go with Penske.

Old 07-24-2013, 10:44 AM

Only issue I thought have with Penske is if I get help to load/unload the vehicle safely and securely.

Also had prior success earlier using UHaul Trailer towed by my Car twice before.

However, the Penske person who took the order mentioned me to call half hour before so that there is a necessary person is there to help load the car.

Thanks!

Old 07-24-2013, 10:57 AM

11,558 posts, read 11,989,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhharu View Post
Penske equipment is more reliable than U-haul. I have had nothing but bad luck with U-Haul and refuse to ever use them again even in a situation where they are cheaper. However, in this case you are saving money using them. Go with Penske.
Ditto!!!

Old 07-24-2013, 11:46 AM

1,558 posts, read 3,837,441 times
I would go with Penske and I have used Penske and Uhaul (not for towing though). I see at least one uhaul broken down on the interstate once a week....never see a Penske.

Old 07-24-2013, 09:12 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,719,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhharu View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
Ditto!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by vermonter16 View Post
I would go with Penske and I have used Penske and Uhaul (not for towing though). I see at least one uhaul broken down on the interstate once a week....never see a Penske.

U-Haul is not worth it even for free. Trucks are not maintained, are old and break down more often than not.

Old 07-25-2013, 09:08 AM

I see all these good comments for Penske.

I still feel the Penske's customer service is not good. I again went to Penske facility and asked them if they can help with loading the car. They said, As per the company rules, they will give instructions and watch. But I have to load the car, strap it etc.,

If they can give instructions and watch, why can't they do it by themselves. I am willing to pay even additional $ for help with loading. But they say they wont do it.

Since, I have not done this by myself, I don't want to take a risk it and I am planning to go with U-Haul just because they are giving assurance that they will take care of loading the car.

Old 07-25-2013, 12:02 PM

1,558 posts, read 3,837,441 times
I think it is a liability issue and that's why Penske cannot physically load your car for you. If something was to happen - you would then hold Penske liable. Not sure how UHaul is getting away with it.

Old 07-25-2013, 01:24 PM

2,516 posts, read 5,664,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vermonter16 View Post
I think it is a liability issue and that's why Penske cannot physically load your car for you. If something was to happen - you would then hold Penske liable. Not sure how UHaul is getting away with it.
I was thinking the same thing. They probably have some waiver he'll be required to sign, releasing them from liability.

Old 07-25-2013, 02:30 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,251 posts, read 8,617,703 times
Go with Penske, and call a tow yard to see if they will load your cAr for the call out fee
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues