Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 05:40 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,804,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
I've taken that route: boring.
Hahaha For me, boring is good. I'd like to avoid windy, twisty mountainous roads with steep drop offs. Flatter and lower elevations are good in this situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2013, 11:14 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,037,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
Thanks for the advice. So you are suggesting that even the I-80 and I-84 route is risky in late November due to possible storms? Flying would be preferable, but I would need to ship the car in that case, or I could drive a more southerly route (longer but could be fun with a friend). I can get maps at AAA here in MI, but would love a website that tells me about elevations on various interstates through the mountains. Google maps and mapquest are good but don't give info on elevations. Thanks again for your post!
If you look on a map, the straight road is going to be flat and the wiggly road sections will be through some sort of rough terrain. I picked up I 80 north of Denver, in WY. From there to PDX, the only mountains we drove through were in Eastern OR. We drove this in June of last year. We noticed that it was stormy in WY, even though we drove through flat (mostly) land. I have to think that there would be snow during the winter.

I know that conditions can be bad in the Columbia Gorge. We've driven it many times, in the winter. Weather there is very changeable. You could have snow from Pendleton almost to Multnomah CO. Or ice. Or wind or icy rain driving in a horizontal line. However, I imagine the weather is much worse in the Dakotas and WY in the winter.

This is one of those things where you have to weigh the risk. Its a long drive in possibly bad weather.

Old 08-20-2013, 12:39 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,808,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
Interesting idea to ship the car if I decide to move to OR. What company did you use and was it a good experience? I did a little research regarding shipping cars and one of the issues is that you are at their mercy for the pick up date and delivery date. I would need to look at more companies, but a recommendation is always helpful.

Good thoughts about GPS and driving with a stranger (not recommended).
I have used many companies cause I move a lot and have my car shipped usually. I cant recall the last company I used. I would say though an average cost would be around 1000 and would take a week to arrive. I stated this on another post but it is better to find a direct transport rather then a broker in case there is damage. Also one carrier only drives and does not pass your car off in the middle. Make sure the company is current with their insurance.
If you factor in gas, mileage and wear on your car, hotel costs it will not be that much cheaper in my opinion. If you decide to drive I really think you should get a GPS. Sometimes there is construction and detour that can get you lost if you don't have a good sense of direction. I think driving with a stranger is too scary.

Old 10-05-2013, 10:59 AM

1 posts, read 635 times
Im going in the spring. Did this 2 years ago. I actually go to vancouver wa. But have to go through Portland to get there. Basic. ...94 to 80 to 5. Took me 3 days with 3 and 3 hrs on 4th day I also have 3 kidsand am only driver. Good luck

Old 10-05-2013, 11:50 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,707,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marysmitten View Post
Im going in the spring. Did this 2 years ago. Basic. ...94 to 80 to 5.
Is there a reason you don't turn north on 84 at Salt Lake City instead?

Per Google Maps:
Detroit to SLC (I-80) = 1665 miles
SLC to Portland (I-84) = 766 miles (11hrs by way of Boise)
SLC to Portland (I-80 to I-5)= 1229 miles (17hrs by way of Sacramento)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues