Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2013, 07:53 PM

12,957 posts, read 13,670,118 times

Advertisements

Have your battery check out, high temperatures can wreck your battery. Book online and save 5%
Motel 6 - Budget Hotel Reservations
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2013, 01:02 AM

1,976 posts, read 2,352,507 times
Definitely get your car checked out by AAA garage before you go, and I've had good luck staying at Best Westerns and Comfort Inns. When I need to make a pitstop on the road I find a. Safeway, good bathrooms and of course food.

Old 08-15-2013, 02:34 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,252,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
Have your battery check out, high temperatures can wreck your battery. Book online and save 5%
Motel 6 - Budget Hotel Reservations
Just be very careful about the locations of these motels. Motel 6 makes you give them a copy of your ID as they get a lot of questionable bookings. With things of value in the car I would not stay there. There are other motels which are in the same price range which are not only nicer but safer. I wouldn't leave a valuable in the car at a motel 6. Sixpence Inn is one of the comparable ones which are more pleasant without the police activity. If you want internet use, Motel 6 wants ten dollars for that, which is iffy at best.

The rates are generally less for motels when you stop at the ones near the edge of town, over the ones in the center, especially in smaller towns. They also tend to have more parking. Try to park near a door with lighting. Call and check rates at different chains, and if you have AAA many give discounts. A slightly better grade motel will give you better security for your stuff, too. Some also have a free breakfast buffet.

Old 08-15-2013, 04:23 AM

12,957 posts, read 13,670,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Just be very careful about the locations of these motels. Motel 6 makes you give them a copy of your ID as they get a lot of questionable bookings. With things of value in the car I would not stay there. There are other motels which are in the same price range which are not only nicer but safer. I wouldn't leave a valuable in the car at a motel 6. Sixpence Inn is one of the comparable ones which are more pleasant without the police activity. If you want internet use, Motel 6 wants ten dollars for that, which is iffy at best.

The rates are generally less for motels when you stop at the ones near the edge of town, over the ones in the center, especially in smaller towns. They also tend to have more parking. Try to park near a door with lighting. Call and check rates at different chains, and if you have AAA many give discounts. A slightly better grade motel will give you better security for your stuff, too. Some also have a free breakfast buffet.
It’s been less than a year since I've stayed at a Motel 6 but I use them almost exclusively because of their price and locations. Most of them are in walking distance of a Starbucks, Wal-Mart Supercenter or McDonalds. I have probably been in well over 100 of them in the last ten years. Last September I stayed in Colorado and the internet was the same as always around $3.00 per day.

Any motel that doesn't ask you for picture ID is probably not one to stay in. I have been told by many clerks that this is federal law. My only beef with the chain is they allow pets, so if there is a national kennel club show in the area you probally won't get a room. On long cross country road trips I am only spending less than 12 hours in a motel. I think a safe motel is one were you can sleep ten feet from your car. If you are worried about the contents of your car leave your car parked by the big window in front of the clerks desk after you take your bags to your room.

Last edited by thriftylefty; 08-15-2013 at 05:48 AM..

Old 08-15-2013, 06:30 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,683,373 times
As everyone said, stay away from Bates-type Motels on the edge of town. I always stay in a chain motel right in the center of activity. Also, I don't make reservations because I want to see the place. If you make reservations, at least you will have a confirmed room and not doing so has sometimes backfired on me but more often it doesn't. And a few times I have been able to negotiate a lower price with the desk manager. One thing -- always ask for "lowest price" never use the the term "best price" because it can be a world of difference.

Old 08-15-2013, 08:20 AM

18,213 posts, read 25,850,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erickz623 View Post
Hey everyone,

I will be driving back to college in about two weeks from Southern California (Orange County) to Texas (San Antonio area).

Has anyone else on here made that drive? I'm 19, so I've never driven that kind of distance before. I will also be doing it alone, so what can I do to keep myself awake on the road? What will I need in case of an emergency?

Also, I was planning to leave early in the morning to drive all the way to Las Cruces, NM for some rest. I was thinking of getting to Texas in two days. Is that recommended? What's a good/affordable hotel to stay in for the night? Any advice will be much appreciated. Thanks!
I'm pretty familiar with this route (I-10). If you are wanting to get to Las Cruces by nightfall you certainly want to get up early. You have a variety of chain motels and restaurants off the exits.

Personally I would be on the safe side and make it three days. I've stayed the night in Tucson and Willcox, Arizona and enjoyed my stay in both places. You're talking nearly 500 miles to Tucson from Orange County. Willcox would be another 80 miles. Las Cruces might be a bit of a stretch for this reason--Phoenix. The Phoenix area has really grown in the last twenty years. From Dysart road on the extreme west of the metro area to say, Eliot road on the east the distance I'm guessing would be 60 miles. And there is 4 million plus that live in the Phoenix metro area. I've seen some pretty ugly traffic jams there.

If you DO make it to Las Cruces that night you have the basic chain motels. For a long time I was a Motel 6 kind of guy (finances are limited these days) but anymore I like Days Inn. Motel 6 charges $3 a night for internet and Days Inn has wifi in the rooms for free and most of them have computers in the lobby if you don't have a laptop. And you can get a free breakfast in the morning, their breakfast room opens at 6:00 am. Coffee, juice, cereal, toast, muffins, and waffles are available. It's not the best breakfast in town but it certainly gets ya by ok!

Keep one thing in mind after getting out of Las Cruces; when you get east of El Paso it is a long haul through the desert and I mean LONG HAUL! The largest town along the way would be Fort Stockton for lunch and and topping off the gas tank. If you start getting drowsy pull over, get out, and walk around the truck a few times. Bring coffee in a thermos. Bring chewing gum. If you get drowsy again get a room for the night. A jug of drinking water would be nice as well.

I've seen too many wrecks in my day of people asleep at the wheel and piling up their vehicle. An extra night in a motel is preferable than compromising your safety. I know, I've driven over 2 million miles in my life. Been there, done that many a time. Be safe, be well. Good luck to you.

Old 08-15-2013, 10:01 AM

2,061 posts, read 4,134,299 times
pretty much agree with Double H above!

Old 08-15-2013, 01:10 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,252,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
It’s been less than a year since I've stayed at a Motel 6 but I use them almost exclusively because of their price and locations. Most of them are in walking distance of a Starbucks, Wal-Mart Supercenter or McDonalds. I have probably been in well over 100 of them in the last ten years. Last September I stayed in Colorado and the internet was the same as always around $3.00 per day.

Any motel that doesn't ask you for picture ID is probably not one to stay in. I have been told by many clerks that this is federal law. My only beef with the chain is they allow pets, so if there is a national kennel club show in the area you probally won't get a room. On long cross country road trips I am only spending less than 12 hours in a motel. I think a safe motel is one were you can sleep ten feet from your car. If you are worried about the contents of your car leave your car parked by the big window in front of the clerks desk after you take your bags to your room.
Motel 6 has motels in good areas too. Those are different. Where I stayed in Phoenix during a visit I booked in advance since things get filled up that time of year. One night the police were there, not bothering me but called either by partons or the motel, three times. And the hookers were wandering the parking lot. I've never seen this at other chains.

Its not just asking to see your picture ID, which is normal, but keeping a picture of it. They do this since the cheaper places are often hooker hangouts but as far as I know its a chain policy. Unless you pay with a debit card using your password, they check ID as part of payment too, but just look at it.

I can't remember the name of it, but during my visit to the state my friend and I stayed at a place in Flagstaff, right next to a Waffle house, really nice rooms, which you entered from the INSIDE, making them more secure, and it cost the same as Motel 6. And maybe the internet was three dollars but it wouldn't work and I requested my money back and was told they don't do that.

And yes, be careful where you park the car, making sure its light. But if the parking lot is full of hangers on and hookers you don't want your car and your stuff sitting there either.

Old 08-16-2013, 12:43 PM

2,533 posts, read 4,602,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erickz623 View Post
Hey everyone,

I will be driving back to college in about two weeks from Southern California (Orange County) to Texas (San Antonio area).

Has anyone else on here made that drive?
I did a coast to coast Jacksonville to Seattle drive 2 years ago on my move out here. I drove solo and made it in 5 days. I drove about 600 miles each day... about 8 hours behind the wheel.

No need to try to break speed records right? I put in my 8 hours and pulled over for the day. The Motel 6 was my hotel of choice and the rooms were decent enough where I got a good night's rest.

I kept my family posted on my progress via Facebook and the trip was great with no problems. I had my car checked before I left... oil change, tires... A/C... etc.

Old 08-16-2013, 05:21 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,370,428 times
Depends on the story line and reader's voice of audiobooks. A soothing voice and a bland story will put me to sleep right away.

I drove for the first time by myself from Miami to Atlanta (surely not as long as your trip, but central FL on an interstate is flat and boring). I played music I really don't like (country) the whole way to keep me a bit agitated and awake. Worked well...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues