U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 02:14 PM

62 posts, read 795,860 times

Advertisements

the last couple of times i moved, i used u-haul because they were cheaper than the other do-it-yourself van moving places and i was just moving in town. however, i noticed that they charge you on mileage...which is basically where they get you. so the "$19/day" is more like $40 or $50. still not bad...just not as advertised.

now i'm moving across the country. we're talking 2700 miles (philly area to san diego area). so i'm thinking that a PODs type solution would be the way to go. i'll pack up my stuff, get in the car and meet my stuff at the destination in a couple weeks (i'll be taking scenic routes)

my total stuff is about a 1 br apt worth or less. i have a queen sized bed and a 40" TV that i care about, and then after that just paperwork and official type stuff. i will be throwing out whatever doesn't fit into a single pod, basically.

u-box gave me a quote for about $2k, everything included. the PODs quote was about $3500, and some lady from pack rat just gave me a quote for $4500. when i mentioned the u-box quote, she said that they have an inferior pod. of course i was thinking "...said the lady trying to sell me something"

question is - what is the best PODs type deal around? pack rat seemed high. PODs seems high. u-box seems pretty good and they have good reviews, but the whole "inferior box" thing got me thinking. i will insure the stuff, but i also don't want to be reckless about it. my "delicate stuff" (guitars and such) will travel with me in the car.

thoughts? experiences?

thanks in advance
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2013, 02:48 PM

27 posts, read 167,217 times
I can only talk about my experience with UBox since I am currently using them to do the opposite cross country move - San Diego to Virginia. I chose UBox since they were by far the cheapest compared with anyone else including driving a UHaul cross-country.

We have 3 UBoxes and I chose to pick them up by renting their truck and trailer. I had to do 2 seperate trips since they only have trailers that hold either 1 or 2 UBoxes. It cost about $60 each for both truck/trailer rentals including insurance. I only drove about 8 miles round trip so I didn't have to pay for any gas usage since the gauge didn't move. The store I picked up from was completely disorganized. I had scheduled to pick up 2 UBoxes on a Monday morning and received confirmation but when I showed up they tried to give me 1 UBox since they didn't have any 2 UBox trailers available. I had people I was paying coming to load the 2 UBoxes so that wasn't going to work so I sat around for 1.5 hours while they went and picked up a 2 UBox trailer from another store.

In general the boxes are sturdy and were clean. If you pack your stuff up securely I don't see how they would any more prone to damage than the other Pods. If anything it would be easier to see if the box was mishandled since it is wood and would probably show damage from being dropped, etc. However, If I was going to store my items long term I would be skeptical of these boxes ability to protect from water or severe moisture.

I returned the 2 boxes the following day and was told they were out of trailers completely and that I wouldn't be able to pick up my last box until the next day but they didn't know what time that would be. I called throughout the day to check and was told I could come around 2. I showed up at 3 and they still had no trailers but one showed up about an hour later. Dropped that box off the following day and told them to ship them to Virginia. I was told that the boxes had to be moved to another store to be shipped and that would be in the next 1-2 days. That was July 30th.

I started my drive across the country and on my 5th day I called UHual since I noticed they hadn't charged me for shipping yet. The Boxes where still sitting at the original UHaul store and they hoped to get them to the shipping store that day. I called the shipping UHual store the next day and they did have my boxes and they hoped my boxes would ship in the next 3 days. Finally received a call on Aug 13 (boxes sat around for 2 weeks) that they shipped and that they had 11 business days to get to Virginia.

It is now the 10th business day and no boxes yet and no one can tell me where the boxes are. I can only hope they show up tomorrow within their promised timeframe let alone all out belongings being in good condition. Also in a few days they are going to bill me another months rent for the UBoxes since it has taken so long (approx $350). I obviously will not be paying that but I'll have to call and deal with them.

At this point I would say only go with UBox if you don't care when your stuff shows up......

Chips

Old 08-27-2013, 02:56 PM

6,230 posts, read 10,048,773 times
Have you got a quote from ABF U-Pack ReloCubes ??

Low-Cost Moving Container Rental | ABF U-Pack Moving | U-Pack

I used them for a 2000 mile move in July. Cost was $1900. Rate vary by time of year. Their Cube is all-metal. I think U-Box from U_Haul is wood.

Old 08-27-2013, 06:50 PM

abf gave me a quote for $2800

another option is door-to-door. they seem to get some positive reviews here and there. their quote was $1570

ubox gave me a quote for $1490

door to door seems to be winning. too many options/variables. very confusing!

Old 09-11-2013, 03:24 PM

update: i did get a lower quote from ABF by calling them. however, door-to-door's quote was still lower. higher than u-haul, but i thought i'd give someone else a chance at my money this time around

door-to-door's pod was easy enough to pack (wooden pod). i actually did it wrong the first time and had to redo it. however i got it all in.

i'll update this thread in a couple weeks with my experience

Old 09-12-2013, 07:11 PM

257 posts, read 633,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garbagefile View Post
update: i did get a lower quote from ABF by calling them. however, door-to-door's quote was still lower. higher than u-haul, but i thought i'd give someone else a chance at my money this time around

door-to-door's pod was easy enough to pack (wooden pod). i actually did it wrong the first time and had to redo it. however i got it all in.

i'll update this thread in a couple weeks with my experience
How did You get that price? I just got off the phone with door to door (Upack), 5feet (smallest space) of traler space from NYC to Scottsdale $3338. No movers,no storage. And thats not possible for me either. No parking on weekdays (they dont work on weekends) in front on my building so I can load the truck. I can't put this pod anywhere. This is an apartment. Manhattan people! I need your help. How did You move?

Old 09-12-2013, 08:56 PM

236 posts, read 354,431 times
There was a post a few weeks ago about Mayflower "pods". They were quite a bit cheaper than ABF.

Portable Storage & Moving Containers - Compare Us to PODS ® | United Mayflower Containers

Old 09-12-2013, 10:39 PM

4,327 posts, read 8,171,446 times
OP has made a choice, but I'll answer anyway.

We were very happy with Atlas SmartMoves (SmartVaults). I've written about it so many times on here that I feel like they should be sending me a check for the advertising.

The advantage of Atlas (or Mayflower, probably, but they didn't cover our area) is that you get as much of the full-service move as you want, for a lot less than a full-service move price. Their website tells why their vaults are a good idea.

If you are a AAA member you get a significant discount. (Join AAA if you aren't a member, and you'll still save a bunch of money.)

Old 09-13-2013, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasha7 View Post
How did You get that price? I just got off the phone with door to door (Upack), 5feet (smallest space) of traler space from NYC to Scottsdale $3338. No movers,no storage. And thats not possible for me either. No parking on weekdays (they dont work on weekends) in front on my building so I can load the truck. I can't put this pod anywhere. This is an apartment. Manhattan people! I need your help. How did You move?
U-pack is actually by ABF. when i checked, door-to-door was cheaper. you can get a quote online at their site - Moving Containers and Portable Storage | Compare us to PODS®

Old 10-19-2013, 08:38 PM

i forgot to update the thread with my experience...sorry!

i got the pod to my place on time and in good shape. they called me on a friday and told me that the pod was actually early - it was in san diego about 2 weeks before i thought it would be. and it was available to deliver that monday. i was not gonna be in SD for at least another week, so i scheduled a date for delivery that would allow me time to get across the country after visiting a few friends. they waived the storage fee for a couple of days and delivered it when i got to SD.

i opened the pod and stuff had shifted, but i expected that. but everything was safe and nothing appeared to be damaged. i packed my bike and TV well, so no issues there. a couple of boxes fell on other stuff, but in all i'd say it was a success. i unpacked the pod at my leisure (over about 3 days) and then swept it out. no damage was done to the pod outside of normal wear and tear, so i didn't have any additional charges or surprises.

in all, i'd say this move was pretty cheap. i could have utilized the pod to a greater degree, but that was my own fault.

i think that about covers it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues