Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2013, 04:21 AM

1 posts, read 1,262 times

Advertisements

I have lived in Cleveland TN all my life. I am a long term renter...looking for a new place. I lived In a duplex for 9 yrs. Moved to a 3 br apt for 7 yrs. Then to this house. I've been here 8 yrs. My son is grown now and moving on his own. I have a daughter attending WVHS so I would like to be able to stay in that school zone...The problem? We have two cats.....One 8 yr old Maine Coon and 1 7yr old Tabby. Both male....both fixed as soon as they were old enough. They are not pets to us....they are part of our family. I can find plenty of apartments that will allow pets. Even hotels allow them these days when we travel. But I can't seem to find anyone w/a house that will accept them. them but I just cannot go back to living in apartments. We are wanting to move as soon as possible after the new year. I do not drink, smoke, have parties. We have cat trees, and other toys for them so they have never been destructive to property. They are a responsibility just like children....and you need to be acquainted with all aspects of a vacuum
cleaner, hair remover and as a bonus...I have my own steam cleaner...lol...
I didn't think it would be this difficult to even get owners to discuss it. I was hoping that being a steady long term renter would help..

Any suggestions? advice? of any kind would be appreciated....EXCEPT....getting rid of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2013, 06:21 AM

3,315 posts, read 10,095,164 times
I believe the main reason homeowner s disallow cats is because:

-clawing; tearing up carpets; and
-urine; peeing on carpets.

When cats urinate on carpets it often leaks onto the subfloor. If the smell/stain remains, the subfloor needs to be replaced which is not an easy job. If a cat urinates on hardwood floors, it can stain it black and ruin the floors.

Many apartments with carpets replace them when a tenant moves out. But a homeowner does not want to constantly replace carpets and flooring, especially if they have a better grade of materials to start with.

You could reassure the homeowner on the behavior of your cats. Or offer an additional "Pet Fee" per month.

I had a Maine Coon once; best cat I ever had. Good luck with a new home!

Old 12-14-2013, 06:23 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,380,609 times
I have found places with pets, and have never dumped a pet. Yes, it limits your choices, and finding a place will cost you more money in a higher deposit and pet rent.

Only look at places that allow pets.

Venting is fine, but personally, I think you sound resigned.

Old 12-14-2013, 08:47 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,299,652 times
Rentals that allow pets ARE out there. As Jasper said, only look at rentals that allow pets.

I was able to find a great place that allowed my 2 dogs AND 2 cats, no pet rent. Don't give up.

Old 12-15-2013, 10:37 AM

27,231 posts, read 43,984,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyche View Post
I have lived in Cleveland TN all my life. I am a long term renter...looking for a new place. I lived In a duplex for 9 yrs. Moved to a 3 br apt for 7 yrs. Then to this house. I've been here 8 yrs. My son is grown now and moving on his own. I have a daughter attending WVHS so I would like to be able to stay in that school zone...The problem? We have two cats.....One 8 yr old Maine Coon and 1 7yr old Tabby. Both male....both fixed as soon as they were old enough. They are not pets to us....they are part of our family. I can find plenty of apartments that will allow pets. Even hotels allow them these days when we travel. But I can't seem to find anyone w/a house that will accept them. them but I just cannot go back to living in apartments. We are wanting to move as soon as possible after the new year. I do not drink, smoke, have parties. We have cat trees, and other toys for them so they have never been destructive to property. They are a responsibility just like children....and you need to be acquainted with all aspects of a vacuum
cleaner, hair remover and as a bonus...I have my own steam cleaner...lol...
I didn't think it would be this difficult to even get owners to discuss it. I was hoping that being a steady long term renter would help..

Any suggestions? advice? of any kind would be appreciated....EXCEPT....getting rid of them.
I would talk to potential landlords and convince them that there isn't a risk which is ultimately what they're looking to avoid. Offer to pay a pet deposit to cover cleaning carpet (or whatever they're convinced will be damaged) after you move out and if necessary a small amount monthly to cover any damages over the course of you living there, which of course should be refundable upon moving out if damages were not incurred. I think most landlords in this day and age would rather deal with responsible pet owners than families with kids or young adults in roommate situations, that is if they have any sense at all.

Old 12-15-2013, 12:50 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,099,661 times
Yes there are house rentals out there that will allow pets all kinds of pets . Just have to be diligent and explain just like you did on here to speak with the landlords and or land ladys . Good luck to you please dont dump your pets .....

Old 12-15-2013, 11:37 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,767,626 times
Something like this one in Cleveland TN ( from Chattanooga Craigslist)

North Meade / Tasso - Gold Point Dr

Look on Craigslist. In the real estate/ apartments/ housing section. You can select the type of home, then add in cats, etc.

You can even place an ad in housing wanted. Sometimes a letter from your vet stating that the cats are spayed/neutered can help. Sometimes offering to pay a pet deposit or a little extra each month can help too..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues