Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 09:29 AM

1,107 posts, read 1,452,127 times

Advertisements

Hello -

My husband and I will more than likely be moving to another apartment in a few months. We are debating if we want to do it ourselves w/ some friends or hire movers to do it. Of course if the movers do it - they'll be done SO quickly compared to if we do it, but it would probably cost way more money. We are moving from a 2nd floor apartment to a 3rd floor apartment - it's probably about 6 miles away. Our current apartment is a 1/1 w/ a small den and we want to move to a 2/2.

In your experience on average how much did professional movers cost? How quick were they? I know it will vary by location, just trying to get a ball park figure.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2013, 10:05 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty458 View Post
We are moving from a 2nd floor apartment to a 3rd floor apartment - it's probably about 6 miles away.
We are debating if we want to do it ourselves w/ some friends or hire movers to do it.
Are you and your friends still in college?

Old 09-08-2013, 10:06 AM

3,262 posts, read 5,001,986 times
It really depends not only on location, but on how much stuff you have to move. Rather than try to get an apples-to-oranges comparison from people whose experience may be very different from yours, I'd go directly to the source: contact a couple of local movers with good reputations and have them come over, look at your stuff, and give you an estimate.

Personally, if you're moving to a third floor walk-up, unless you're young and strong and/or don't have heavy stuff, I'd never try to do it myself.

Old 09-08-2013, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Are you and your friends still in college?
No - we range in age from our mid 20's to mid 30's. A friend of mine who is in his mid 20's has a brother though who is in college.

Not of our stuff is overly heavy - except out ancient TV. LOL. We have the huge 27 inch box TV still. We want to get a new one, but that is low on our priority list right now. If it ends up not working than that is one thing, but it works just fine. I would honestly say that TV is probably the heaviest thing we have. Our couch might be about the same weight - but since the weight is distributed better and 2 people can carry it - it would probably seem lighter.

Right now - I want to kind of avoid calling people since we are not 100% moving. Just looking to maybe move end I just was curious on average how much more it might be. If we did it ourselves, it would of course just be the rental truck, mileage on the truck and pizza for our friends. However, the time it would take would easily multiple.

Old 09-08-2013, 02:16 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,277,252 times
Try renting a Uhaul and go to movinghelp.com. They are also linked on the Uhaul website. You rent the truck, they will load, drive and unload the truck for you. We paid $160 for two guys who were great, professional and quick. Best move we ever had. You can have your stuff packed or they will pack for you, but they charge by the hour. We had everything packed when they arrived.

I rented the truck when Uhaul opened. They arrived at our place at 9 am, loaded the truck, drove it to our new place, unloaded it and I had the truck back to the rental yard by 12:30 pm. We had no appliances and little furniture as we bought new stuff. We had a couple of dressers, a large Japanese screen, some tables and enough boxes to fill a 14 foot truck.

Old 09-08-2013, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
Try renting a Uhaul and go to movinghelp.com. They are also linked on the Uhaul website. You rent the truck, they will load, drive and unload the truck for you. We paid $160 for two guys who were great, professional and quick. Best move we ever had. You can have your stuff packed or they will pack for you, but they charge by the hour. We had everything packed when they arrived.

I rented the truck when Uhaul opened. They arrived at our place at 9 am, loaded the truck, drove it to our new place, unloaded it and I had the truck back to the rental yard by 12:30 pm. We had no appliances and little furniture as we bought new stuff. We had a couple of dressers, a large Japanese screen, some tables and enough boxes to fill a 14 foot truck.
Thank you SO much for that info. If we did it ourselves we would still be loading the truck at 12:30 probably! LOL. Last time we moved we had a 14 foot truck and it was perfect.

Old 09-08-2013, 06:52 PM

89 posts, read 148,880 times
I cheated. My brother was just coming out of rehab. I got him and two of his friends who were also homeless and rented a truck. We moved from a 3 bedroom house to a 2nd fl one bdroom apt across town and I think the truck cost about $30. My brother and his friends only wanted a hoagie and a 10-pack of bus tokens each($15.ea). $75. for a half days move was pretty good!

Old 09-08-2013, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetFireFEMTech View Post
I cheated. My brother was just coming out of rehab. I got him and two of his friends who were also homeless and rented a truck. We moved from a 3 bedroom house to a 2nd fl one bdroom apt across town and I think the truck cost about $30. My brother and his friends only wanted a hoagie and a 10-pack of bus tokens each($15.ea). $75. for a half days move was pretty good!
Sounds like my type of deal.

Old 09-09-2013, 12:42 PM

613 posts, read 944,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
It really depends not only on location, but on how much stuff you have to move. Rather than try to get an apples-to-oranges comparison from people whose experience may be very different from yours, I'd go directly to the source: contact a couple of local movers with good reputations and have them come over, look at your stuff, and give you an estimate.

Personally, if you're moving to a third floor walk-up, unless you're young and strong and/or don't have heavy stuff, I'd never try to do it myself.
Good advice to get an estimate if you're considering pro movers. However, get a binding estimate, in writing. If you don't, their verbal estimate may mean nothing. But it sounds like you could do-it-Yourself probably. The old CRT TV--might be time to lose that. You can buy used LCD TV's all day long on Craig's List, often for not much money, under $100 even.......

Old 09-09-2013, 01:56 PM

702 posts, read 726,734 times
I paid ~$300 each time I moved. This was in the San Antonio area. The first time it was for work and over 50 miles so I counted it against my income on my taxes.

It was worth way more though. I put everything in boxes, then they move everything. No sweat. The last time I moved I paid them to pack too. It was a bit more but I literally did nothing but call them then unpack.

The thought of carrying my heavy-ass couches up stairs makes my back hurt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues