U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2013, 12:29 PM

2,503 posts, read 5,317,309 times

Advertisements

So I just undertook move number 8 without a job lined up. And once again, I didn't drop dead or instantly become homeless.

So just under 3 weeks ago I sold everything I couldn't cram in my small car and headed west. I had to get out of Texas. It was hot. Flat. Bad allergies. Bad memories. Pretentious people everywhere it seemed. An endless circle of frustration and playing catch up. DFW is not as cheap as the media would love to portray it. But I'm not here to slam Texas, just painting a picture as to why I had to leave. This Monday, 2 days from now, will be 3 weeks since my arrival. I have a place to live and a job. With each move, I learn something new, and this one was no different. This has been the most fantastic and easiest move of the 8. I knew not a soul in this city. I had no connections. No inside people to help me. No job. No relatives. No friends. Just a bunch of research and a plan. Total cost to pull off this move, around $1000. I'm not saying to try that, I just managed to pull it off well under budget. Here's how I did it.

Keep in mind, I picked a place with a low cost of living. You're not going to pull something like this off in California, Seattle, New York, etc. But some adjustments can be made. Also, I could have been more frugal, but at times, I wasn't. This was a best case scenario as far as not having anyone in the city to help me if something had gone wrong. My previous moves were never this easy, so this was a breath of fresh air. I apparently had luck or the universe on my side, because I don't think I could ever pull off a move on a $1000 in this economy again but hopefully I won't have to.

The drive. To get from Texas to Utah was around $300 in gas in a 4cycl vehicle. I don't get great gas mileage despite my car's maker (toyota), add the fact that it was loaded down and I had to drive through the mountains of Colorado, Wyoming and northern Utah. I had intended to sleep in the car, but it was too loaded down, so I stayed at hotels both nights I stopped. (Left on a Saturday afternoon, arrived on Monday afternoon.) I could have saved more money had I been able to fit the ice chest in the front seat as planned but ultimately had to toss it. I spend around $120 on the 2 hotels, staying at a Motel 6 in Wyoming for $49 and a Super 8 in Kansas for $60. I wasn't thrilled about that since my intentions were to rough it a little. I probably could have found cheaper accommodations had I planned, but I wasn't sweating it. I was in no hurry. I drove till I knew I would soon be tired of driving. Money wasn't that tight, but I was trying to treat it as such.
Meals. The Super 8 had free b-fast so I made waffles and coffee on the house. The morning after the motel 6, I had pop tarts I had carried and Tang that I mixed in the water I had brought. So no money spent on b-fast. I ate $4 subs from subway for lunch and dinner along with water I had and sometimes a small bag of chips most of the time.
Drive: So roughly $450+ to get to Utah. Way over budget due to having to purchase food and staying in hotels, but I was fine with it. Not as frugal as I had planned, but I would make up for it.

Arrival: I stayed for 2 weeks in a hostel while searching for rooms on craigslist and job hunting. A lot of hostels will not allow you to stay more than a few days. Fortunately, this one had private rooms for $176 a week, full kitchen facilities, private bathrooms, computers to use, washer & dryer ($2.50 per load). It was an excellent base of operation. No curfew. The owner told me he had rooms that I could rent for $375 a month if I was interested but I was sure I would find a more permanent place on CL and I did. So after 2 weeks in the hostel, I moved into a 3 bedroom house in a very nice neighborhood with 2 residents older than I. So they are very quiet. The rent is ridiculously cheap and about $125 less than I was prepared to pay.
So rent from Aug 24th - Oct 8th = $677 Pretty remarkable considering I knew no one here and I had no hookups or couches to crash on.
While staying at the hostel, I cooked breakfast, lunch and occasionally dinner. I found some real gems in the city as far as eating. So it wasn't sandwiches and ramen every night, but I did keep my eating expenses down at a level I haven't since my military days.

Activities: I didn't sit in my room stressing over my lack of money. I found a dollar theater so I could watch movies for $1.50. I joined some outdoor groups on meetup.com and began exploring the mountains on my own the first weekend here, then with the group shortly thereafter. I have hit it off with the group immediately and with so many activities within the group that costs little to nothing, I'm quickly making friends. The first week, the nights were pretty lonely and depressing. But my efforts and positive attitude quickly extinguished those problems. My social calendar has stayed booked since that first weekend. I could not have scripted a better outcome. It's almost unbelievable. Granted, things could fall a part next week, but right now, I'm so happy and my fresh start has gone way better than I could have imagined.

Time to enjoy my weekend before I head to work Monday. I just wanted to jump on here and report my latest move because I know there are so many I have talked to who feel trapped where they are. They are looking to leave a place they have spent their entire lives and they are frightened. It's not cheap (I was lucky) and most of the time it is not easy. But if you are have the right attitude, plan and stay vigilant, and work to complete those goals, you can make it happen. Goodluck.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2013, 01:29 PM

3,491 posts, read 8,261,388 times
You do clearly have the right attitude. Congrats on your move!

Old 09-14-2013, 02:11 PM

303 posts, read 486,685 times
Good for you!

Old 09-14-2013, 05:24 PM

2,871 posts, read 4,041,637 times
Interesting story! But what about the job? How did you get that?

Old 09-14-2013, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
Interesting story! But what about the job? How did you get that?
Same way anyone does. I started looking online as soon as I got here. I had 2 interviews the Friday After I got here and 4 more the following week.

Old 09-14-2013, 06:34 PM

5,931 posts, read 5,853,110 times
A year later:

Move number 9: successful.
I had to get out of Utah. It was hot. It was cold. It was mountainous. It was flat. Bad allergies. Bad memories. Pretentious people everywhere it seemed.

Old 09-15-2013, 12:02 AM

21,824 posts, read 27,807,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
A year later:

I had to get out of Utah. It was hot. It was cold. It was mountainous. It was flat. Bad allergies. Bad memories. Pretentious people everywhere it seemed.

You don't know that.

I moved from NY to PA. I gave it a good shot. It wasn't going to work what ever we did.

Moved further west to Ohio. Not one quarter of the effort that was needed to make PA just OK.

When I made this last move someone on this forum said "Oh this is what you said about Pennsylvania at first! I'll bet you'll be moving in a year".

I won't be. However if I did move again would that be a failure? I don't think moving to PA was a failure. I don't fame things that way. It was an experience. I learned that I like part of Pennsylvania to visit. The part I lived in is a part that I really never want to visit again.

I admire the OP's brave and optimistic attitude.

Living in the same place for one's entire life is not always an accomplishment. Some people stay out of fear or connections with others that faded away a long time ago.

My motto "I do believe
if you don't like things you leave.
For someplace you've never been before". - "I Found a Reason" The Velvet Underground

Life is to short to waste in living in a place that you don't love.

Old 09-15-2013, 12:20 PM

18,845 posts, read 34,902,419 times
Love the positive spirit in your post! I have had it with the naysayers who insist on a ridiculous amount of money to move. Last move I made, we were eating PB sammys until I got paid...a week of PB and J, with apples, and bananas never killed anyone.

Glad you decided to change your life, and it is working well for you.

Of course, one person's paradise, is another person's Hell, I could not wait to leave the oppression I felt in Utah. When I moved from there, I felt like I could finally breathe.

Last edited by jasper12; 09-15-2013 at 12:23 PM.. Reason: Edit

Old 09-15-2013, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
A year later:

Congrats on providing worthless input. Haters gonna hate I suppose. Some people cant help being bitter.

Old 09-16-2013, 02:16 PM

3,817 posts, read 4,553,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Love the positive spirit in your post! I have had it with the naysayers who insist on a ridiculous amount of money to move. Last move I made, we were eating PB sammys until I got paid...a week of PB and J, with apples, and bananas never killed anyone.

Glad you decided to change your life, and it is working well for you.

Of course, one person's paradise, is another person's Hell, I could not wait to leave the oppression I felt in Utah. When I moved from there, I felt like I could finally breathe.
Yea, I understand a lot of people need a lot of money for a cushion in case they don't find a job right away...that makes sense...but I keep hearing upwards of $10,000 or even $50,000. Um, if I had that kind of savings, I wouldn't come to a forum for suggestions or help (you know what I mean...right?).

I do love the OP's spirit and optimism. It's awesome and I hope I have little fear when I move...I'm planning big time to get out of DFW as well. I really must have a job first, but once that comes, I hope that the right attitude will make it a relatively easy transition. Attitude is everything!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues