Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 10:14 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,919,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
You know, you are right! The atlas & paper maps were used much more on our trip than GPS.They do give you the "big picture" & the kids could entertain themselves for hours looking things up & "telling me" where to go. The twins actually had a kind of competition going as to who was the better "map reader"!
Good point! We always have an atlas and the GPS. They are not mutually exclusive. We got stuck in a bad traffic jam one time and, using the atlas, were able to get off the highway and around the traffic.

Old 07-28-2016, 10:27 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,176,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
You're not a woman with a kid in the back seat and engine problems in the boonies. That's a life event. I'll never forget it.
As a matter of fact I am. Minus the engine problems. I've driven across the country with my 3 and 4 year olds. And with just the 4 year old. Middle of the night and all.

Old 07-28-2016, 12:12 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,607,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
As a matter of fact I am. Minus the engine problems. I've driven across the country with my 3 and 4 year olds. And with just the 4 year old. Middle of the night and all.
It's the engine problems which make it a big deal.

Old 07-28-2016, 12:17 PM

2,366 posts, read 2,639,378 times
The only concern about driving cross country is the condition of the vehicle.

Old 07-28-2016, 12:35 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,362,537 times
Old thread, but I'll play. I've done it many times over the past twenty years, the latest this summer with my teenage daughter. We stuck to well-traveled interstates, planned for our accommodations, and took plenty of good food, so we weren't stuck eating crappy fast food. In fact, our cooler had so much delicious food in it, we really only had to leave the highway to hit the occasional Starbucks for coffee. We ate at rest stops and filled up whenever the tank hit a quarter full. Had the car given a thorough once over before we hit the road. Other than that, we just drove and had a great time together.

Old 08-06-2016, 03:32 PM

12,830 posts, read 9,547,378 times
This is good stuff. I drove from TX to KC and did not stick to the interstate. And I also drove after dusk. we were fine, but in hindsight, that was really dumb of me. Driving in cold weather in Kansas, dark roads, was pretty scary. Foggy as hell too.

Always check the weather as well.

Old 08-18-2016, 03:00 AM

231 posts, read 226,716 times
To be honest, I have driven across country by myself several times and never had an issue. Just try to be very alert and aware- if you ever, ever get a bad feeling- peel the F out of there!

I recommend Gavin de Becker's "The Gift of Fear"- it's a life changing book and I think all women should read it.

https://www.amazon.com/Gift-Fear-Gav.../dp/0440226198

I have even slept in Wal Mart parking lots before when I couldn't find a hotel and it was 3am... and it turned out fine. I think the most important thing is to trust your gut and be cautious. Occasionally I would drive my little compact car off road because I love to explore, and so much of the west ends up going into those (once you get off the main roads). But I was always very aware- and if it felt precarious or vulnerable- I stopped IMMEDIATELY. I never hung around at gas stations or truck stops- EVER. It was always in and out, and leaving quickly.

Honestly- I think half the time, avoiding being targeted is being aware of your surroundings and making sure the *******s know that you have spotted them. If I see a sketchy guy, I will briefly make eye contact, let the guy know that I have seen him. Not challenging, just a fleeting, businesslike glance of- I've noticed you. If you seem aware of yourself, that will put off many of the predators, who are looking for an easy target. You have to be on your toes, but traveling across country is so underrated, especially alone. I love it, and it's a shame many women don't get to experience that because of male violence and the fear it instills. Oh, and I always dressed ready in case anything went down. Like, shorts or yoga pants, and a t-shirt. Non descript, not "expensive" looking, and comfortable. I think that you basically want to blend in and that's a good way to do it. No makeup either.

Old 08-19-2016, 02:15 PM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildColonialGirl View Post
It's the engine problems which make it a big deal.
And the fact that this was before I had a cell phone.

Old 08-23-2016, 10:16 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,948,076 times
Good Grief! I have just discovered what is wrong with America! It is populated by a bunch of weenies who are so sheltered and pampered they are afraid to drive a car on an Interstate or after dark.

My grandmother was a traveling sales lady back in the late 40's and 50's. She drove all over this country going to county fairs. Before that she owned a clothing store and used to drive from TEXAS to NYC in the 1930's to attend the fashion shows and pick up merchandise. ALONE! Well just her and Sam Colt...

GPS? They didn't even have car radios back then! I remember one time driving over a mountain pass in CO back in the 70's I was complaining about slow traffic. My granny said, "Last time I was here was in 1928 and the car broke down. We had to camp for a week while the men hiked into town and brought back a horse team to tow the car into town!" That interstate was a dirt trail back then.

Driving cross country - here's what you need to know.

If you follow the setting sun you will reach the Pacific Ocean. Go the other way and you will hit the east coast or the Mississippi river, you can tell the difference because one is salty. If it gets hot and people start speaking spanish you are in either Mexico or Texas. Big mountains mean you are in Colorado or Wyoming, round mountains is Montana. Flat as far as you can see is the plains. Red mountains means Utah. Swamps is the south. Cactus is AZ. There now you know how to get around the country.

If you get lost, ask someone, they will usually know. Unless they are lost too, in which case follow them. There is safety in numbers even if you are going the wrong way.

Rest areas are safe. ROFL No they aren't. Remember the Washington Snipers were caught in a rest area after shooting ten people. Think about that the next time you nap on the road.

These days check the online reports for bed bugs before you pick a hotel. And be sure to check the room before you put your luggage in.

Complimentary breakfasts are not usually very good. Which is why they are free. If you sleep in a rest stop or behind a gas station, hit the Best Western at 7 am for free breakfast.

Fill your tank when it's between 1/3 and 1/2 empty, because you never know.

Wear sunglasses, they make you look cool.

I usually take a cooler, it used to be full of beer, but these days that is frowned upon. Another freedom lost to drunks. I also take a shovel - you never know when you might need to dispose of a body. Also an axe for, well, you know... And a jack for the auto club guy to change the tire, and some small bolt cutters - they are good for when the interstate is shut down for some knee jerk reason, like when some fool was trying to jump off an overpass, and you want to get on the frontage road - you just switch to 4WD, snip the wire fence and drive on.

A cell phone charger that plugs into your car can be helpful.

I also take a gun. Usually several guns. And a lot of ammo! There's no better feeling than driving a big 4X4 truck, full of guns, ammo, and beer, with the open road ahead to make you feel like the King or Queen of the Road!

Drive On!

Old 08-23-2016, 10:48 PM

6,977 posts, read 5,707,016 times
get up early and start driving, when it starts to get dark, check into a hotel and get a good nights sleep and start over again in the morning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues