Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2013, 07:21 PM

2 posts, read 6,111 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

So my husband has just accepted a substantial job with a gov. contract company on the Andover, MA area. They are offering a relocation package to move us from GA. Here's our issue. They use Cartus for their relo counseling and the relo is capped at 15K. I'm a little lost on what they will and will not cover (because we cannot for the life of me get anyone on the phone there!) and quite frankly, what they won't cover and will have to reimburse, we don't have up front anyways. My husband has been out of the military for 4 months and we've been scraping by on my small paycheck and his unemployment while we've been job searching...so we haven't had money left over to save. My question is, can they not advance us a part of the relocation so that we can get things started? We are going to have to break the lease for our current apartment which is gonna run us $1500 and we have to put deposits down on utilities and an apt. in MA as well as gas and food. We really don't want to turn this huge job down just because we don't have the out of pocket money available. Anyone have any help to offer??? Any is greatly appreciated!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2013, 08:51 PM

5,654 posts, read 6,219,394 times
No, you shouldn't turn the job down for this. Have you tried contacting human resources at your husband's new employer? When I've gotten relocation with a job i've worked mre closely with the employer with respect to logistics that I did with the relocation company, although I'm sure it varies by situation. Whether or not they can advance you anything is goign to depend entirely on the employer's policies.

Old 09-25-2013, 03:59 AM

189 posts, read 643,671 times
Good luck, going through this myself right now. I echo the suggestion to call your new company's HR department. If that gets you nowhere, try calling the soon to be boss. That's what I had to do to get someone to kick HR who kicked the relo company.

Also, from what I learned in my journey - parts of your relo benefit are taxable, others are not. So if your employer did not offer to pick up taxes in your package, you could get hit hard if that $15k is paid out as a lump sum. It may end up being closer to $8-$9k after taxes if you aren't careful. What I have learned for sure, and I am far from an expert, is that the cost of moving your household goods and your final transportation expenses from your old home to your new home are able to be reimbursed to you without taxes (your situation may vary). This doesn't help you with the cash you need to break the lease, etc, but is the way to maximize the benefit of the package. Moving is pricy. If you do anything beyond renting a uhaul and driving it yourself, it will amaze you how much it costs to more all your worldly goods across states. So first and foremost, you need to get an understanding of if they do reimbursement or lump sum so you can understand the tax implications, what you have to pay, etc.

Also, the relo company will probably have requirements on who you can use for everything from a moving company to where I had to stay if I wanted my temporary housing refunded. I personally pushed back on mine because I didn't trust their choices had my best interests at heart. Make sure you find out what your rights are here.

Old 09-25-2013, 10:09 AM

415 posts, read 2,334,539 times
Cartus is usually a good relocation company. there are different programs for each transfer, your best source for knowing what is covered and what is not covered is working through the HR department... Cartus will only do what they are allowed to do>>>

Old 09-25-2013, 10:17 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,416,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjp08 View Post
Hi all,

So my husband has just accepted a substantial job with a gov. contract company on the Andover, MA area. They are offering a relocation package to move us from GA. Here's our issue. They use Cartus for their relo counseling and the relo is capped at 15K. I'm a little lost on what they will and will not cover (because we cannot for the life of me get anyone on the phone there!) and quite frankly, what they won't cover and will have to reimburse, we don't have up front anyways. My husband has been out of the military for 4 months and we've been scraping by on my small paycheck and his unemployment while we've been job searching...so we haven't had money left over to save. My question is, can they not advance us a part of the relocation so that we can get things started? We are going to have to break the lease for our current apartment which is gonna run us $1500 and we have to put deposits down on utilities and an apt. in MA as well as gas and food. We really don't want to turn this huge job down just because we don't have the out of pocket money available. Anyone have any help to offer??? Any is greatly appreciated!!!
Since you're going to break the lease on your apartment regardless, I would go ahead and get the new apartment rented, then move out from your complex but not pay them for breaking the lease until you can afford to. That will free up $1500 for your down money for the new apartment. It sucks but you are in a predicament and you have to do what you have to do.

Also, as far as moving "stuff". LET IT ALL GO. Except for really important things to you, sell it all on Craigslist and get new stuff when you get there. You should be able to make a little dough on your sales, and you can pack the rest of your stuff in your car.

Old 09-25-2013, 01:40 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,749,614 times
My husband and I just went through something similar. It is very stressful. There isn't much you can do except suck it up and make the most of it. This too shall pass. (I would have stabbed me if I heard this two months ago). We had no help whatsoever either, and I thought I would lose it.

If your husband hasn't already see if he can negotiate the offer for relocation. Quite possibly they will help you on the front end.

Old 09-25-2013, 01:56 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,081,779 times
Nothing wrong with getting in touch with HR, telling them that you are a transitioning serviceman, and need $5,000 up front to ease the cost of relocating. Maybe it is an advance, part of the relo package, a loan, an advance against a bonus, a sign on bonus, or whatever. Assume it will be a loan; just get it done and move along. The $5,000 is nothing more than an administrative event to the corporation.

Don't pay the last month rent on your apartment and that will 'automatically' refund your deposit. Just tell them to apply the deposit against your last month rent; you will be leaving on Nov 1, or whatever. Puts the shoe on the other foot; unless you have trashed the place, of course.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues