Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2013, 01:14 PM

189 posts, read 641,181 times

Advertisements

First time I'm doing this, so I'm wondering if anyone has any experience for some gotcha's I need to look out for. I may be over thinking things, but I'm pretty Type A.

Moving across several states. I'm moving from a larger home with a basement full of adult toys (pool table, bar, video games, large TV, etc). Having to rent a smaller apartment with no basement, so my grown up play room, as well as a garage full of tools, patio furniture, a grill, and other stuff is going into storage. This is a temporary move, and I plan to be in a new home by end of the spring, so I'm keeping all these items.

I have always found I have to babysit the movers really close, even when I do a move that is only 4 blocks. In this case, we have them making 2 stops with their truck and dropping off the bulky items into a storage locker, then going to the apartment with the rest (or vice versa, depending on how they load the truck). I don't really have a lot of faith in this moving company, but since this is a relocation, I don't have a lot of flexibility.

Any advice on how to handle this, short of standing at the end of the truck saying, no, that goes to the apartment, this can go into storage? I'm sure there will be the odd item or box that ends up in the wrong place, or something lost or broken like any other move, but I'm just trying to reduce any incidents, since I am essentially sending half of my home to a different location.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2013, 01:50 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,702,744 times
If you're putting the most of it into storage you could do a relocube instead of having the movers move it to storage but I don't know how cost effective it would be. Is this a company paid relo?

Old 09-25-2013, 02:02 PM

I do have a relocation budget from my company; it isn't great - but better than nothing! It did not take into account some of my heavier items (like a pool table and a very large collection of books), and since moves are charged based on weight, I'm going to burn through those funds quickly. I also do not recall seeing any cube services on my "approved" list for moving options. Even so, I am not sure that a cube can accommodate something like a pool table. They look smaller. But a good suggestion that I will look into!

Old 09-25-2013, 07:04 PM

5,472 posts, read 6,077,519 times
I have had to do exactly this and did not encounter any problems with the two-step move. It sounds like a lot of your things should be pretty self explanatory as to where they are going. But with smaller stuff that will be packed ahead of time I did a little planning and had all of the smaller things staged in one area so that they could all be packed together and easily flagged. You may want to list the items going in to storage so that you can check them off as they unload at the facility. I didn't do that but in hindsight perhaps that would have been a good double check to make sure everything getting off should be and everything that is supposed to go does. I remember the company double checking with me on a couple of things while we were at the facility. Since it your rental you have to be there anyway and nobody thought it was weird that I was there supervising.

Old 09-25-2013, 09:32 PM

521 posts, read 4,401,737 times
This happens all the time - even to movers who haven't had a babysitter hired to watch over their customer's adult toys.

Most licensed interstate household goods carriers calculate multiple pick-ups and/or deliveries as total weight, total miles with each stop incurring an additional charge. Terms vary by individual company tariff.

The customer must have the items being moved at each location listed at the time of the estimate. The driver will separate them when loading based on the homeowner's inventory.

Old 09-26-2013, 03:22 AM

Thanks all. Sounds like it isn't that odd of a request afterall!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues