U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-25-2013, 07:14 PM
 
23 posts, read 37,728 times
Reputation: 13

Advertisements

Im a little overwhelmed with finding a mover to get from Florida to Virginia. Im moving for a job and my company is giving me a relocation package, so Ive priced out the most expensive items (train, airfare, hotel, car rental, etc). The last and most important thing is the mover. There are so many that I dont know where to start. I would like to do a full service move and I have a one bedroom apartment (standard furniture, no appliances). Also, I dont know what the cost would look like - what is the best way to get an estimate? This is my first long distance move with actual furniture. My last move was from college with nothing more than a few suitcases. Im looking to move the last week of November/first week of December. Is moving during Thanksgiving week a terrible idea? I'd appreciate any advice to point me in the right direction. Thank you!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-25-2013, 07:38 PM
 
521 posts, read 4,222,406 times
Reputation: 591
Moving is a lot more expensive than you think.

The last week of November/first week of December is considered the start of a peak pricing period in the industry because so many drivers take time off to spend the holidays with their families. Fortunately, the Florida to Virginia traffic corridor usually has a lot of capacity year round.

Contact three reputable local movers! Avoid find-a-mover lead gen sites. Shop for best value; not lowest price. Expect your stuff to be in-transit longer than normal because of the holidays.

You might be better off using your relocation allowance to buy what you want when you get where you're going.

Find a Reputable Mover: A Professional Guide | RELO Roundtable...a gathering place

Moving Cost Estimate Comparison Tool | RELO Roundtable...a gathering place
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-25-2013, 07:46 PM
 
23 posts, read 37,728 times
Reputation: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by RikkiTikki View Post
Moving is a lot more expensive than you think.

The last week of November/first week of December is considered the start of a peak pricing period in the industry because so many drivers take time off to spend the holidays with their families. Fortunately, the Florida to Virginia traffic corridor usually has a lot of capacity year round.

Contact three reputable local movers! Avoid find-a-mover lead gen sites. Shop for best value; not lowest price. Expect your stuff to be in-transit longer than normal because of the holidays.

You might be better off using your relocation allowance to buy what you want when you get where you're going.

Find a Reputable Mover: A Professional Guide | RELO Roundtable...a gathering place

Moving Cost Estimate Comparison Tool | RELO Roundtable...a gathering place
Thanks! Looking online is exhausting and I dont know what Im looking for, so local makes a lot of sense. I just read that a good place to start is to ask a real estate agent for moving recommendations. So, I just sent an email to her to see if she knows anyone that is reputable.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-26-2013, 02:06 PM
 
Location: Lexington, SC
415 posts, read 2,253,975 times
Reputation: 295
If you stick with the major companies, you should be ok, the companies with national coverage are,, North American, United, Mayflower, Bekins, Atlas, Wheaton, Allied, Paul Arpin. these are the best options in my opinion.. All of them will send a representative into the home to provide an full in home estimate. You never want to schedule a move without the in home estimate.
Most of these will provide a guaranteed priced move. all will assist with packing and all will offer full replacement valuation coverage.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-26-2013, 06:23 PM
 
23 posts, read 37,728 times
Reputation: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkwing View Post
If you stick with the major companies, you should be ok, the companies with national coverage are,, North American, United, Mayflower, Bekins, Atlas, Wheaton, Allied, Paul Arpin. these are the best options in my opinion.. All of them will send a representative into the home to provide an full in home estimate. You never want to schedule a move without the in home estimate.
Most of these will provide a guaranteed priced move. all will assist with packing and all will offer full replacement valuation coverage.
Thanks...also good to know.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-26-2013, 08:31 PM
 
Location: BROOKLYN NYC
1,356 posts, read 1,115,190 times
Reputation: 1564
I can help you move, I'm big and strong with lots of muscles what's up luv? Glad to see some good responses here. Froulala is a very close friend, keep the good advice coming and thank you guys again...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-27-2013, 11:54 AM
 
Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
36,284 posts, read 66,011,272 times
Reputation: 42028
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkwing View Post
If you stick with the major companies, you should be ok, the companies with national coverage are,, North American, United, Mayflower, Bekins, Atlas, Wheaton, Allied, Paul Arpin. these are the best options in my opinion.. All of them will send a representative into the home to provide an full in home estimate. You never want to schedule a move without the in home estimate.
Most of these will provide a guaranteed priced move. all will assist with packing and all will offer full replacement valuation coverage.
Yes, and you may have to request the in-home estimate. Do not accept it by phone, because you will find the final price could be more than double if you happen to have a lot of heavy items like books and magazines. The fine print will say that the move is priced by actual weight, and with an in-home estimate you may be able to get them to agree to no more than 10% overage.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-27-2013, 09:10 PM
 
23 posts, read 37,728 times
Reputation: 13
Thanks. I have an in home estimate set up next Tuesday with Bekins. I'm hoping to get two others scheduled for comparison. Im feeling less anxious about this, which is good. So what is the usual expectation on the deposit? Is that typically a couple hundred and then you pay the rest once it is delivered?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-27-2013, 09:13 PM
 
23 posts, read 37,728 times
Reputation: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSNY...DirtyStayOut View Post
I can help you move, I'm big and strong with lots of muscles what's up luv? Glad to see some good responses here. Froulala is a very close friend, keep the good advice coming and thank you guys again...
OK DSNY, Im taking you up on your offer.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2013, 10:19 AM
 
Location: Lexington, SC
415 posts, read 2,253,975 times
Reputation: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrouLaLa View Post
Thanks. I have an in home estimate set up next Tuesday with Bekins. I'm hoping to get two others scheduled for comparison. Im feeling less anxious about this, which is good. So what is the usual expectation on the deposit? Is that typically a couple hundred and then you pay the rest once it is delivered?
\
None of the major moves will ask for a deposit, the moving brokers usually ask for deposits, that is their commission. The standard for all the major movers is pay on delivery with a cashiers check ( no personal checks ) or pay in advance with a credit card,
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:47 AM.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top