U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 12:28 PM

9,445 posts, read 11,010,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
You are absolutely correct. Turns out the $40 charge i was thinking of, was the charge for the trailer to tow my car behind a U-Haul truck. When I talked to them about renting a hitch to tow a trailer behind my car, I got the same quote as you - I'd have to buy and pay to install a hitch - around $360! To drive 250 miles!

So, it was as cheap to rent a truck and tow my car. This made me really nervous to do myself, though.

I ended up hiring a friend of mine who lives in Davis, CA. She can rent a trailer with hitches, etc., in Davis for only about $50/day to tow with her pickup truck. 6x10 enclosed trailer from a farming rental type place up there. Then she'll drive down to Santa Clara, I've hired college students to load it in Santa Clara through collegelabor.org. The college student helpers will cost me $75 for 2 workers for 1 hour.

Then on the Redding end, I hired movers through the U-Haul site (just the moving helpers, no equipment) who will unload the trailer, haul everything to a second floor apartment with an elevator, and assemble my daybed for me for only $100 for 2 hours.

This will cost me the same as the truck towing my car would have cost, but my friend who is comfortable towing stuff will drive the truck with trailer, and I can just drive my car. Plus she can help supervise from the trailer while I direct traffic in the apartment.

To hire professional movers, I was quoted $2000! This move will cost me about $800. And I'm happy to give some money to my friend and not have to drive a scary truck towing my car :-)

Anyway, I digress. But, you were right about the cost of the trailer and hitch with U-Haul. Crazy.
I am moving 1400 miles. Renting a truck and towing my car is just out of the question, it would cost thousands in rental fees, mileage, and gas. Pulling a small trailer behind my car makes the most sense. I am not taking anything big anyway. So for me, the cost of the hitch and trailer is very cost effective. Should be interesting!

Old 10-24-2013, 05:34 PM

18,816 posts, read 28,323,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
I am moving 1400 miles. Renting a truck and towing my car is just out of the question, it would cost thousands in rental fees, mileage, and gas. Pulling a small trailer behind my car makes the most sense. I am not taking anything big anyway. So for me, the cost of the hitch and trailer is very cost effective. Should be interesting!
Definitely makes sense for you. Yeah, I figured I was going to be sure I never got into a situation where I had to back up lol! Just get tons of insurance :-)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues