Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2013, 08:15 PM

3 posts, read 17,053 times

Advertisements

Last year, we moved to a new state for my work, about six hours away from our family. I love my job and the state is beautiful. My husband found a job quickly, but he does not love his job. We both work a lot...and we need to work a lot to pay for our home.We have a mortgage that is at the higher end of our budget, and we put a lot of money into the house (not worth it).

Long story short, we want to move back near our family. My husband will have better options for work, and we really miss our family. The problem is, we will lose a lot of money selling our home anytime soon. Has anyone ever moved to a new state, bought a house, and then regretted it? Did you move after only a couple of years?

I feel really bad about all of this...and I feel guilty about all of the money that we will lose because of this decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2013, 08:29 PM

805 posts, read 1,552,457 times
Yep, years ago the now ex became enamored with an area I did not like at all, but I gave in and we bought the house, put a lot of money into it and after two years decided to move. Took a big hit but just chalked it up to a lesson learned. It's not worth it to stay somewhere you dislike just because you feel guilty about the money spent. Put it behind you.

Old 10-20-2013, 08:54 PM

34,091 posts, read 82,464,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rai56 View Post
My husband found a job quickly, but he does not love his job.
We both work a lot...and we need to work a lot to pay for our home.
We have a mortgage that is at the higher end of our budget...
Long story short, we want to move back near our family.
Sorry to hear about your problems.

Quote:
...and I feel guilty about all of the money that we will lose because of this decision.
It usually requires about five years in place to break even.
Run the numbers and good luck to you.
---

To everyone else planning a relocation:
This is why people are so often advised to wait a year or more before BUYING in the new town.

Last edited by MrRational; 10-20-2013 at 09:14 PM..

Old 10-20-2013, 10:46 PM

4,578 posts, read 5,620,519 times
Quote:
Last year, we moved to a new state for my work, about six hours away from our family. I love my job and the state is beautiful. My husband found a job quickly, but he does not love his job. We both work a lot...and we need to work a lot to pay for our home.We have a mortgage that is at the higher end of our budget, and we put a lot of money into the house (not worth it).

Long story short, we want to move back near our family. My husband will have better options for work, and we really miss our family. The problem is, we will lose a lot of money selling our home anytime soon. Has anyone ever moved to a new state, bought a house, and then regretted it? Did you move after only a couple of years?

I feel really bad about all of this...and I feel guilty about all of the money that we will lose because of this decision.
Is there any possibility that you could rent the house out and move back to be near your family? It might help defray costs, or even be an income-producing property, if you don't want to sell right now and want to wait for the market to bounce back a bit more.

Old 10-20-2013, 11:01 PM

30,585 posts, read 24,927,066 times
If your DH finds a new job back home and it really is better, then I'd say go ahead and move. If he doesn't, and the real reason for moving back is that you are homesick, I'd say give it another year at least.

Not only might you lose money on the selling end, you will need money to move, and that is quite expensive. I'd advise making sure of what you will have if you do decide to move.

Think it through and try to estimate costs.

It might be helpful to talk to a realtor. You might find out that things are better or worse than you think in the home market. But you need information now to make a decision.

Old 10-21-2013, 04:30 AM

18,837 posts, read 37,206,541 times
1. Do not think about the money.
2. Think about being happy.

I moved to a place, at a big expense, only to hate the job. And the new place. I was miserable. I moved, and basically lost so much, I don't even want to think about it...

But, what I have gained, is peace of mind, happiness, and a whole new life.

It takes making an error, to realize that you were happy before...no loss. You gained riches in insight. Just embrace happiness, forget about the money. It really does not matter.

Old 10-21-2013, 06:08 AM

14,785 posts, read 23,953,955 times
Yep I gotta say I sure did buy a house and then ended up taking a hit in the way of a short sale . we lost all the money we had put into the house .My now ex resented me because he was the one working when he knew I was having trouble at my present job and might loose it , well long story short he lost his job and I had mine and then mine did not pay enough to make the house payments . We ended up divorcing and saying goodbye to that state the both of us . He now lives 2200 miles away and I could not be happier .

Old 10-21-2013, 08:10 AM

16,061 posts, read 26,637,889 times
Sadly we just did this. All in all it looked like a great move on paper. Happiness, not so much. We sold the house, barely broke even after about five years.

Now we are renting to make sure we find a place we love before we buy.

Old 10-21-2013, 11:06 AM

1,935 posts, read 4,753,436 times
Quote:

I moved from eastern Pennsylvania to northwest Pennsylvania in 2007, with she who is now my ex-wife. She wanted to live close to her family, I didn't mind, so we bought our first house there immediately after getting married. I had to leave my music students behind, when I moved there... I hoped to rebuild my business with many more students in the new area. Didn't happen. It was really hard making money out there... the ex couldn't get a decent job either... so we bailed out and moved to Texas in 2008. We broke even on the house... between our closing costs and the repairs we did, we were able to sell it for enough to avoid losing anything.

Old 10-21-2013, 07:00 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,629,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
1. Do not think about the money.
2. Think about being happy.

I moved to a place, at a big expense, only to hate the job. And the new place. I was miserable. I moved, and basically lost so much, I don't even want to think about it...

But, what I have gained, is peace of mind, happiness, and a whole new life.

It takes making an error, to realize that you were happy before...no loss. You gained riches in insight. Just embrace happiness, forget about the money. It really does not matter.

10 reps if I could.
Nothing I can add. There is no better feeling than being content. Quality of Life . . . Priceless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues