Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 05:47 PM

10 posts, read 37,805 times

Advertisements

Same old problem, don't move without a job, I can't get a job without being locale.
We have two children in middle school, have been wishing to move from NE Pennsylvania to NE Florida for some time. Tired of the long gray winters, and seeking a better quality of life for our family. Have family in NE Florida, and have researched the area for some time both in person and online. I have applied to many jobs but with no offers. I do not want to deceit a future employer by using their address. I know where I would like to live (school district) and am willing to commute from that area.
My thoughts:
1. Keep continuing to apply for jobs online as they become available. If I get an offer move and stay with relatives. Place home on market.
2. Place home on the market, continue to work here until home sells. When home sells I move immediately to NE Florida and stay with relatives until I can secure employment, find a place to rent, living on proceeds from home sale. Family stays here with relatives until after school year. For health insurance either Obamacare or COBRA whichever will be better.
3. If home doesn't sell, chock it up as it was not meant to be. I do not wish to be an absentee landlord.

I welcome input on any thoughts or what am I missing. I know folks move all the time, just trying to do it the least disruptive. My wife and I have tried to work through lots of different scenarios.

Thanks
The Molehogs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2013, 05:59 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,911,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by molehog View Post
Same old problem, don't move without a job, I can't get a job without being locale.
I welcome input on any thoughts or what am I missing.
I know folks move all the time, just trying to do it the least disruptive.
The "pack up and go... make it work when you get there" is for single people.
Even then it is still qualified by having a job skill actually needed in the destination city.

The responsibility of providing for kids complicates things dramatically.
Heck, even with an invitation to a job it's a big deal to uproot a family.

Quote:
...wishing to move from NE Pennsylvania to NE Florida for some time.
I get the appeal of the weather... but what WORK reasons are there for FL?

Old 10-23-2013, 06:28 PM

119 posts, read 410,255 times
Also, have you considered staying over at your family's house for a few weeks, maybe a month, leaving the family back in Pennsylvania? That way you could REALLY see what it is like to be that local, in terms of employment, neighborhoods, etc. All the research of the world may just come crashing down against a real-life review. You could also use their address in meaning of "this is where I am living now while exploring the area, but I plan to move my whole family when I find a stable job". You still have plenty of time before the school year ends for the kids, so maybe make plans to visit and stay in FL looking for a job on a full time basis.

At best, you find employment. At worse, you know the area/areas, you know how people are and what it really is like.

I do agree children greatly complicate the matter, because as MrRational said, feeding 1 mouth is a heck of a lot easier than feeding 4, especially if that 1 is yours and you're perfectly fine going on a ramen noodle diet while you get on your feet. The kids and the spouse? Not so much. It can create a lot of stress in the whole family. Of course, keep applying all the way, but maybe right before or right after the holidays, take the plunge and visit your family members and inspect the area really up close, while continuing to apply for jobs as a long-term visitor.

Old 10-23-2013, 06:32 PM

Mr. Rational Very glad you weighed in, I have read many of your posts and respect your opinion.
The pack up and go is not what we are looking for, that is why I am trying to get everything done as rational as possible. We have had discussions about moving and I do realize the enormity of it all. I work as a hospital pharmacist, and there are quit a few hospitals located in and around the Jacksonville area. I see jobs posted on Indeed very often and do apply, I just feel as an out of state applicant I stand at a disadvantage.

Old 10-23-2013, 06:38 PM

LaCelestina,
I would be very hesitant to go down for a month, as I have a full time job here in Pennsylvania. I know as we are short staffed I would be lucky to get a week off on vacation. I do not want to give up my health insurance at my full time job. We have been down there many times and I feel we could make a go at it, if only I found a job. My last effort is if we sold our home, we could survive until something came up. I am just a little scared the way our economy is going.

The Molehogs

Old 10-23-2013, 08:03 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,344,416 times
No job, no moving. These days, even well qualified people have a hard time getting good jobs. It is a whole different game when you support kids, as opposed to being alone and free.

Just the way it is...

Old 10-24-2013, 05:22 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,644,836 times
There used to be a time they offered pharmacists large bonuses for employment/signing on. They did that in Arizona, remember talking to a pharmacists about it (shortage). But, that was before this economic downturn. Crazy.
I think you need a good savings cushion for any move. Maybe just focus on that right now. I'd be contacting realtors, too, for their opinions on selling the house, readying it w/ what you need to do before you put in on the market, possibly staging advise etc. for a quicker sale. And, price it well, not under or over so it moves. Winter isn't a good time to sell property in the Northeast. Maybe look at this time as a preparation time. But, you sound like you're on the right track. I hope it works out. I wouldn't give up on a dream, just continue to fine tune it.

Old 10-24-2013, 05:40 AM

The days of offering bonuses are gone, I do know I am very fortunate to have a job. That is my biggest fear is not being able to find a job, and running through whatever proceeds I may get from the house. I know I have to be responsible for my family and am trying to map out all possible options my head. I do know that the job is the most important factor in all of this, it is just very frustrating not getting calls because I'm not locale. I have had managers tell me, you are qualified, I just needed to bring someone in quicker. I would too if I was the hiring manager.

Old 10-24-2013, 06:09 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,344,416 times
I have not had that problem when looking for jobs, even across the country. I apply, they ask why I want to move to that locale, and I make up some reason, that usually sounds awesome. I tell them I can be there in a month, which is reasonable. If you are a highly qualified professional, with a stable job history, there is no problem.

The issue I think many have with finding employment in another locale, is that either they don't look good enough on paper to beat the local candidates or they don't do well on the interview.

Old 10-24-2013, 06:38 AM

24,466 posts, read 10,793,748 times
These are some of the issues I see when relocating professionals.
First it is all great - job, location, compensation, relocation package, family is on board with the move.
A couple of weeks into it reality sets in - kids do not like the new school, family at home is pulling, spouse is not happy, additional costs from registering vehicles to new curtains have not been considered, the 40/hr job turns into 50/hr, no time to create social network, ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues