Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2013, 07:55 AM

3,848 posts, read 7,962,204 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are entertaining the idea of Florida (me sooner than later), we want seasons for our daughter. We live in arguably one of the most expensive towns in the state (Naples). The issues is my husband won't move anywhere without a laterally/raise in pay. It's literally left us with California. We have family in New England and would go back If we could something mid to coastal-ish. He's currently at $19.25 and hour (911 dispatcher) and about to get a 2% raise Nov 1st. We are still struggling at this pay. He must work 6 days a week on rent checks , if he doesn't we have to choose between rent or food. No, there are no cheaper places to rent, we looked. Any lower and we are in section 8 here. (Rent currently $1105 , no utilities included).

He's almost done with his associates in Business and going on to his BA in Business with a minor in Finance. He will attend UF online so he doesn't have to live in Fla. To get it. At this point I feel stuck, with his refusal to even consider even a $1 cut in pay we are left with nothing, no options and I can't convince him otherwise. I just don't know what to do. The heat here makes my autoimmune condition horrible, I'm a prisoner in my house 8 months a year. Even my doctors have told me it's not good for me to live here... What to do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2013, 10:31 PM

1,794 posts, read 4,914,536 times
Sweetbottoms,
Because you have a medical condition that requires you to stay in 8 months out of the year,
I would seriously consider moving without him.
You have to take care of yourself first.
How can you take care of your family if you don't take care of yourself?
That's your answer.
You have family in New England?
Ask them if you can stay with them til you get a job.
Then move, and take your child with you.
That is what I would do.
Sad he isn't seriously considering this anyway, but look, you have to
look out for number 1. No one will but you.

Old 10-24-2013, 10:35 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,500,469 times
It doesn't sound like you want to move to California, but your hubby could make pretty good money here:

City of Santa Clara : Human Resources

They continuously accept applications for dispatchers, and the pay is $6,330.00 - $8,074.00 Monthly.

It's beautiful here, schools are good. 30 minutes to the beach, and you can always drive up to the mountains for snow, if you want to play in it.

Old 10-25-2013, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfly4u View Post
Sweetbottoms,
Because you have a medical condition that requires you to stay in 8 months out of the year,
I would seriously consider moving without him.
You have to take care of yourself first.
How can you take care of your family if you don't take care of yourself?
That's your answer.
You have family in New England?
Ask them if you can stay with them til you get a job.
Then move, and take your child with you.
That is what I would do.
Sad he isn't seriously considering this anyway, but look, you have to
look out for number 1. No one will but you.
I sadly bad considering it at one point. Unfortunately he's the provider and I guess with that mean he calls the ****s as far as where we live. Or so it seems

Old 10-25-2013, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
It doesn't sound like you want to move to California, but your hubby could make pretty good money here:

City of Santa Clara : Human Resources

They continuously accept applications for dispatchers, and the pay is $6,330.00 - $8,074.00 Monthly.

It's beautiful here, schools are good. 30 minutes to the beach, and you can always drive up to the mountains for snow, if you want to play in it.
I don't think we are particularly interested in Cali. They have a high income tax which takes off quite a bit off the top and I don't think we would ever be able to afford a house there.

Old 10-25-2013, 10:52 AM

2,533 posts, read 4,603,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
I don't think we are particularly interested in Cali. They have a high income tax which takes off quite a bit off the top and I don't think we would ever be able to afford a house there.
You'd probably like Washington then...

No state income tax... mild weather... and the Seattle metro economy is booming. The job market is very good.

I spent 35 years in the south (Florida/Georgia) and moved here 2.5 years ago. I got a $20k raise just for making the move... same manufacturing job... $10 per hour more in pay. The cost of living is higher but if you are renting there isn't that much of a difference. I've got roommates so it doesn't even put a dent in my budget. I can't afford to buy a house here either.

I don't miss the southern heat... summer 2011 and 2012 were just AWESOME. 70's for June/July/August... the summer of 2013 was a little warmer, we had a couple weeks where it got mid 80's. The difference is the lack of humidity though... mid 80's here feels 1000 times better than mid 80's in FL or GA.

Winter here is gray in the 40's and 50's. Contrary to popular belief it DOES NOT rain all the time here. It's cloudy in the winter... sunny in the summer. The rain here isn't like the rain down south... most of the time here it's just a misty damp cloudy day and you don't even need an umbrella... certainly nothing like a southern thunderstorm.

In the winter just drive up into the mountains for all the snow and skiing that you want... Some of the best resorts in the world are right here.

Scenery here is to die for... driving down I-5 looking at Mt. Rainier is much prettier than I-95 in Florida looking at pine trees. If you like the outdoors the PNW is the place to be. All the fishing... camping... hiking... etc you'll ever need.

Nothing like having 4 seasons! I love it here. I have no plans to EVER move back south.

Last edited by Kees; 10-25-2013 at 11:17 AM.. Reason: ... Typos

Old 10-25-2013, 03:25 PM

Quote:
So, do the math. If he gets a job in Santa Clara, the starting wage is twice what he's making now.

So, if things cost twice as much here (which isn't true), then you're in the same lifestyle that you now have, but now you're somewhere with good weather. A lateral move for hubby at the very least, and better health for you.

Your fatalistic whiny attitude is annoying to me. Do your research. Do the math. Decide what the most important things are for you and hubby and kidlets, and start compromising. Quit feeling sorry for yourself and start doing your homework.

Your husband never said he wouldn't move. He just doesn't want things to be even worse financially. Sounds responsible to me. So, make Google, and Craigslist your best friends. For salaries in particular areas, look at government jobs, because they will list their actual salaries and benefits, so you can see how much your hubby can make in a particular city/county/state.

Work on a proposal your hubby won't be able to refuse. Victim no more!

Old 10-26-2013, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
So, do the math. If he gets a job in Santa Clara, the starting wage is twice what he's making now.

Your fatalistic whiny attitude is annoying to me.
Work on a proposal your hubby won't be able to refuse. Victim no more!

I'm sorry I'm not sure which part of "not particularly interesting in Cali" wasn't clear. Also to be clear California living is more than twice the cost here in Florida. My brother lives in L.A. I'm well aware of the cost of living in Cali, I also have friends who live in San Diego and can't even afford an apt without roommates. I've been to California and aside from my brother don't know a soul there. The weather other than humidity is similar to Florida as in its perpetual summer more or less.

Old 10-26-2013, 06:46 PM

Quote:
I'm sorry I'm not sure which part of "not particularly interesting in Cali" wasn't clear. Also to be clear California living is more than twice the cost here in Florida. My brother lives in L.A. I'm well aware of the cost of living in Cali, I also have friends who live in San Diego and can't even afford an apt without roommates. I've been to California and aside from my brother don't know a soul there. The weather other than humidity is similar to Florida as in its perpetual summer more or less.

Ah, I see you cut out the part where I gave you advice on finding somewhere to live in any city/county/state...you chose to focus on how you aren't moving to California. By the way, don't call it "Cali" please, and I won't call Floriduh "Flori."

Again with the "this won't work" attitude.

Get off your duff and find somewhere that will work. Oh, and I thought about you today. Didn't you say your husband is not only working full time as a 911 dispatcher, probably one of the most stressful jobs on the planet, but he's also taking college courses? And you don't work?

So, he comes home exhausted to a whiny wife and kids who want his attention.

Lord, you just sound like a whiny spoiled brat. And you want strangers on a forum to figure things out for you, too. As I said, get off your "sweet bottom" and do your research.

And how about you getting a part-time job to help with the family finances?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues