Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 04:54 PM

2,382 posts, read 5,396,070 times

Advertisements

Sorry to hear about your marriage and hop that the future is much brightr for you...

Regarding the move- I'd agree with oter posters about making sure you knw how much space you wll have both in the truck and on the other end.

Also - get your supplies together. I've found it's worth it to get a big pack of tape and "store bought boxes" (Home Depot has them) - fiding boxes peicemeal makes it hard to stack them evenly inside the truck.

Also - many charities will do pick-ups at your house. I always schedule one or two - it sort of forces me to stay on "deadline".

Is there ayone who could help out? It really helps to have someone who isn't emotionally invested in your "stuff" there to sort things out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2013, 08:54 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,699,747 times
Thanks! I have started really weeding stuff out for the planet aid box and put a ton of my clothes in bags and boxes that will be going with me. For now most of the furniture will be staying and my husband can deal with that until we file for divorce. Since he would never put the house in my name he gets to deal with all that stuff.....hahhah....so I guess that works out. I feel like now that I actually started packing I sort of broke the seal and it will get a little simpler now.

Old 11-01-2013, 11:05 PM

687 posts, read 1,494,502 times
We recently moved, after living in the same house for 17 years, and raising 3 kids there. My husband had to leave before me to start a new job, and I had a month to pack things up. Even a room a day was overwhelming to me. I started with a closet a day. Instead of trying to figure out what I DIDN'T want to pack, I approached it from what I DID want. My young adult kids were responsible for taking what they wanted - they didn't move with us - then I tackled the rest.

Starting with the book/toy closet, I selected those items that were truly special, and that I thought the grandkids would enjoy when they visited. We moved in summer, so I packed all the winter clothes I wanted to keep. Then I packed my craft and sewing things. I ended up packing one or two boxes a day, then once things were more manageable, I could finish up a room a day. When I was done, I called a friend who runs a thrift store and told her she could help herself to anything left behind.

You have a chance to start over, so take it! Don't waste time moving things from place to place unless you need them, or they are really special to you.

Old 11-01-2013, 11:10 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,409,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
It can be depressing to move sometimes. That is when you switch gears, and treat it like a job.

You have to be to "work" at 0900, so get up, take a shower, put on some decent jeans, do your hair and make up, eat breakfast, crank up the music, and start on one room. The stuff goes in two places, toss or keep. Break at 12, for an hour. Back to work at 1300. No breaks until 1600.

Write a list. Go for a walk, have some fresh air, eat a light dinner, and make a list of tasks for next day...this is a job. One room a day.

That's how I did it. Took the kids to school, came back and had my 2nd cup of coffee, then, got started. I found I worked best alone, even though I do have physical problems. I worked on the kids rooms first, they wouldn't let go of a thing, including old, broken toys they didn't even play with, clothes sized too small, they wouldn't even notice missing but would go crazy if I tried to dispose of.

Think from the bottom up. That is, start with the smallest items, like trash, papers, empty bottles, cartons, etc. Think in categories. Think I am only looking at books, or clothes, etc. Make it your goal to get rid of something each day. And do get rid of it, don't put it aside for that garage sale that never occurs! I called our trash disposal service for extra pickup.

And like the AP said, make broad piles---trash or keep, don't micro-analyze every little thing.

If you can't decide, ask yourself, can you obtain such later? There's Walmart wherever you go! what would happen if you decided later you tossed something you should have kept? If it can be replaced, toss it. If its something you could never replace, well, then, of course keep.

Don't forget to stop for breaks, etc. You will find it gets easier as time goes on!

Old 11-01-2013, 11:17 PM

1,871 posts, read 2,098,633 times
I agree with others about working on it a little at time each day. Then it doesn't get so overwhelming. I like the suggestions about keep and discard piles. I have heard over and over again if you haven't used something in over a year then time to get rid of it. My Dad was telling me about their house in Michigan they did a deep clean and donated dress clothes to Goodwill. It will help someone. I am starting to rant. Good luck. Keep us posted please.

Charlie.

Old 11-02-2013, 04:40 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,659,169 times
Salvation Army and other like places will take some of your stuff. I know in one place I lived they came to your house and got the stuff (if it's furniture) and will get other stuff you have to.

Get rid of stuff, be brutal about what you don't need. Only essentials stay.You might look into estate sales, too.

Old 11-02-2013, 06:16 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,900,561 times
I would personally PURGE. They say three moves equals a fire. Don't hold on to clothing for "memories" of what it represents, make room for NEW stuff.

I gave up on a "book collection" decades ago after a flood destroyed my cookbooks. Realizing that they just collect dust (water)...I only keep about 10 favorite cookbooks and a FEW other books that I MIGHT read in the future. I downloaded from Amazon now for reference if I need it.

But if you are depressed and can't go through all the stuff TWICE, then just pack EVERYTHING.

Deal with it later at the new place. But remember, if you're depressed you may ignore it at the new place so put your IMPORTANT THINGS you need right away in boxes labeled "IMMEDIATE".

I bought three stamps from an arts and crafts store in three different colors to mark what boxes were immediately important, long term important (important paperwork momentos etc) and junk that could wait - like the off season clothing or xmas cookie cutters that I never would get around to anyway.

I don't keep ANYTHING stored except seasonal things. If it doesn't FIT in my assigned space it doesn't get stuffed into it and make a mess of my closets/drawers. In fact I love having empty closets and drawer spaces.

Old 11-03-2013, 06:55 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
I packed a large part of what was moved cross country in our 2012 move. I liked to do a room at a time. I set out things the movers would move for me, but everything else, I packed, not including most of my clothing

I started in one room and moved through the house. I agree with those who recommend purging. Donate or leave behind whatever is not important to you to take with you. Since you seem daunted by the wardrobe, I suggest saving that until the last 3 days or so. Do everything else first.

If you end up donating a lot of stuff, keep records and take the value off this year's taxes.

This is a big job. But if you do it in stages, you will be surprised how quickly it all gets done.

Old 01-14-2014, 12:04 PM

1,509 posts, read 1,796,215 times
I did this the last few times, and I do not recommend it.

Right now I am packing up for a big move, and I'm dealing with boxes that I packed up two or three moves ago.

I hope I can finally purge this excess baggage without dragging my problems along with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post

But if you are depressed and can't go through all the stuff TWICE, then just pack EVERYTHING.

Deal with it later at the new place. But remember, if you're depressed you may ignore it at the new place so put your IMPORTANT THINGS you need right away in boxes labeled "IMMEDIATE".

Old 01-14-2014, 12:10 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
When we move again in a few months I am going to pack what I want to keep.
The rest is going into a moving garage sale and what does not sell will be put in the vehicle
and promptly taken to goodwill and donated.
Nothing will be going into the moving truck after those doors have been closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues