Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2014, 12:22 PM

7,245 posts, read 7,072,982 times

Advertisements

My hubby has less than 2 weeks left to get all his stuff packed. He has more things than you can imagine. For example, I got him 2 of those uhaul wardrobe boxes so he can pack his dress clothes without them getting all wrinkled. Each box is 2 feet wide.

He's filled them both and thinks he needs at least 1 more to finish. Now, I don't know about you, but 4 feet of dress clothes - just dress clothes - seems like plenty to me.

I was just up in his office. He had said last night he thought he was nearly finished. I saw at least a weeks worth of stuff to deal with - books, dvds, computer cd's, 2 filing cabinets untouched, bins of computer cables, stacks of papers, his desk still covered with assorted things.

I swear I just want to get a dumpster and chuck it all...

Old 03-18-2014, 12:46 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,760,165 times
Yay, Restrain, sounds like your place will sell fast, good luck !

LMAO KabO, you let your DH pack?

Old 03-18-2014, 01:42 PM
AVA

129 posts, read 321,207 times
Kab0906 and CCc girl Thank you for the words of encouragement the other day! I think it lit a fire under me because I got so much accomplished this past weekend! You are so right about once you start tossing things it gets easier lol
KAb0906 sounds like we are in the exact same situation, my husband leaves in 2 weeks as well, and has a ton of dress clothes! I saw the wardrobe boxes but we decided against them, because like you said, he just wouldn't have enough room.
I swear,he has more clothes than me! Good luck to you both!! (everyone here, actually)

Old 03-18-2014, 01:48 PM

54 posts, read 96,584 times
Finalized a date when I'll move out of state. Going to ship everything via UPS ground.
Taking a leap into the unknown is very exciting. In 2 months and 2 weeks, I'll have to submit my letter of resignation/ 2 weeks notice to my boss. It's hard because he's been a great mentor. Worked here for two years and x amount of months. There hasn't been anything challenging and no room for growth. I'm pretty happy to leave this place. But unsure how I'm going to tell my boss.

Old 03-18-2014, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post

LMAO KabO, you let your DH pack?
I don't pack his stuff. If I were to pack his stuff, 50% or more would hit the trash bin. Then we would fight. Basically, I've given him a limit on how many boxes he can put all his crap in, and if he has too much stuff then he needs to get rid of some of it.

Old 03-18-2014, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVA View Post
Kab0906 and CCc girl Thank you for the words of encouragement the other day! I think it lit a fire under me because I got so much accomplished this past weekend! You are so right about once you start tossing things it gets easier lol
KAb0906 sounds like we are in the exact same situation, my husband leaves in 2 weeks as well, and has a ton of dress clothes! I saw the wardrobe boxes but we decided against them, because like you said, he just wouldn't have enough room.
I swear,he has more clothes than me! Good luck to you both!! (everyone here, actually)
Ava - I know my hubby has more clothes than me - he never throws anything away. I swear that he had this one favorite tshirt that used to be white but was a dingy gray, it had shrunk over the years, the collar, hem and cuffs had unraveled, and he *still* wanted to keep it. I put my foot down on that one.

Old 03-18-2014, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shantotto View Post
Finalized a date when I'll move out of state. Going to ship everything via UPS ground.
Taking a leap into the unknown is very exciting. In 2 months and 2 weeks, I'll have to submit my letter of resignation/ 2 weeks notice to my boss. It's hard because he's been a great mentor. Worked here for two years and x amount of months. There hasn't been anything challenging and no room for growth. I'm pretty happy to leave this place. But unsure how I'm going to tell my boss.
Be professional and thankful for his backing. Don't get into why you're leaving other than that you plan to move out of the state, that way he'll know it's final and not personal.

Good luck!

Old 03-18-2014, 02:31 PM

24 posts, read 54,196 times
3 weeks until we move back to Texas. Got started this weekend after I received the offer of a new job on Friday. Already cleared a corner in the living room for boxes. Packed up one large book box, and a few smaller boxes. Finalized our mover today, using Broadway Express.

Still a few major items that have to get done before I can fully get into moving mode. Waiting for HR at my new employer to send me my written offer. After I receive that I will apply for an apartment. Once I receive my offer I will give my 2 weeks to my boss. Poor guy, he just started two weeks ago and he is great. Hopefully he won't take it personal.

Old 03-18-2014, 03:30 PM

3,930 posts, read 6,442,779 times
escapefromdixie: Good luck and welcome back to Texas. If not for health reasons, we wouldn't be moving to Florida. My family has been in Texas before it was an independent nation, let alone a state.

As to your boss, he should understand. At least you're giving notice and not just saying, "see ya".

Old 03-19-2014, 10:15 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,760,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
I don't pack his stuff. If I were to pack his stuff, 50% or more would hit the trash bin. Then we would fight. Basically, I've given him a limit on how many boxes he can put all his crap in, and if he has too much stuff then he needs to get rid of some of it.
I understand. Fighting is an unwelcome guest, especially with the stress of moving. It doesn't sound like he's going to make deadline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shantotto View Post
Good luck, Shanto; where to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
Ava - I know my hubby has more clothes than me - he never throws anything away. I swear that he had this one favorite tshirt that used to be white but was a dingy gray, it had shrunk over the years, the collar, hem and cuffs had unraveled, and he *still* wanted to keep it. I put my foot down on that one.
Yep, his tote of classic racing tee hirts are up in the attic, unworn for twenty years LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by escapefromdixie View Post
3 weeks until we move back to Texas. Got started this weekend after I received the offer of a new job on Friday. Already cleared a corner in the living room for boxes. Packed up one large book box, and a few smaller boxes. Finalized our mover today, using Broadway Express.

Still a few major items that have to get done before I can fully get into moving mode. Waiting for HR at my new employer to send me my written offer. After I receive that I will apply for an apartment. Once I receive my offer I will give my 2 weeks to my boss. Poor guy, he just started two weeks ago and he is great. Hopefully he won't take it personal.
Escape, moving solo?

Hoping things move on ebay. If the yard ever melts (iced in) then DH can get back to dismantling the tractors and selling the parts, but it's too dangerous. Poor thing, he hasn't left the house except for the Friday trip to chiropractor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues