Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2014, 09:28 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,519,308 times

Advertisements

Are you selling couches? How do you price those? I have several that I don't want to take. I was figuring I would just doante them to Salvation Army or a place like that - although as they say, Cash is king.

Today I threw out more stuff, which was a challenge since I got a cold and I think I have walking pneumonia.

Our first trip to AK to deliver my wife's car, check out a place someone offered for us to stay at, transfer car tags, get DLs, register kids for school, and get other things in order is coming up. Unfortunately, the drive is 5200 miles and takes 7-10 days... I want to spend a week up there, so it ends up being 20 days out.

Then we fly back and pack up my truck and go again.

Old 05-29-2014, 09:45 PM

128 posts, read 151,517 times
Dakster, that might be serious! Get checked out if you think it's pneumonia.

You are all putting me to shame here! I have been spending a lot of time napping because I will be on the go for about 2 months straight. Trying to take advantage of my time now

So far I went through 2 more boxes and have a donation box in the car. I still have a giant pile of stuff to sort through though and I think that this weekend will be dedicated to that. I have decided that most of the small stuff will go to the local consignment person and I will handle the big stuff we are selling. It's overwhelming, if I could only pull my husband off of his xbox long enough to help me!

I also reserved a U-pack trailer a few weeks ago, but last night I decided to reserve a budget rental truck and dolly as well. Right now our moving budget is slim so I am planning ahead for either of which we can afford closer to the moving date.

Old 05-30-2014, 06:30 AM

7,246 posts, read 7,074,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post
Are you selling couches? How do you price those? I have several that I don't want to take. I was figuring I would just doante them to Salvation Army or a place like that - although as they say, Cash is king.

I usually check out our local craigslist for price ranges.

Old 05-30-2014, 08:38 AM

5,624 posts, read 6,843,959 times
We have gone through every room and done all the laundry that was backed up. I even went through the food. Theres nothing left to do but pack and clean!

Old 05-30-2014, 12:38 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,430,885 times
We just signed the offer on our house so assuming all goes well we are really moving. Guess it's time to check out this forum and say hi. Compared to many we have a "small" move. We've retired last year and are now selling the house we've lived in for over 34 years to move 85 miles away to our second home that's on a lake. Can you say MAJOR clean out and downsizing? We've been working on it since last fall and now that the contract is signed I know now the drop dead end point. All the mental planning of what goes, what sells, what donates now has to become a reality, all by the end of June! We finally last week rented a storage unit near our other house so we could start hauling stuff out of there that we had taken down already. We are also already in the "which place is it at" with things like tools. Life is going to get crazier real soon.

Old 05-30-2014, 12:45 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,762,267 times
Glad to see everyone 'moving' in the right direction. Even if it's a short move, keep posting so we can all benefit.

Choff, I can relate, here 21+ years and we have been paring, selling and donating since last October.

Dakster, please do not gamble with pneumonia, DH had to be hospitalized for his because he wouldn't see a doc until he collapsed on the dining room table.

I had to take a break this week, my sinus infection symptoms came back with a vengeance. I hardly made it though today and today was the best I have felt all week.

If DH recovers from his massive sciatica attack last night he may feel good enough to get up to the shop this weekend. Gotta get rid of some tractors.

Again, I will attempt to get the Benz in the front yard to sell; of course I was going to do that last weekend but I mowed for a half an hour and felt like I had been knocked on my butt.

Happy Friday, all, and keep that faith!

Old 05-30-2014, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by choff5 View Post
We just signed the offer on our house so assuming all goes well we are really moving. Guess it's time to check out this forum and say hi. Compared to many we have a "small" move. We've retired last year and are now selling the house we've lived in for over 34 years to move 85 miles away to our second home that's on a lake. Can you say MAJOR clean out and downsizing? We've been working on it since last fall and now that the contract is signed I know now the drop dead end point. All the mental planning of what goes, what sells, what donates now has to become a reality, all by the end of June! We finally last week rented a storage unit near our other house so we could start hauling stuff out of there that we had taken down already. We are also already in the "which place is it at" with things like tools. Life is going to get crazier real soon.
I'm doing the exact same thing. Good luck!

Old 05-30-2014, 06:11 PM

Can I just want all this to be over with? I'm so tired of boxes and decisions...

Old 05-30-2014, 06:30 PM

813 posts, read 1,272,726 times
My husband accepted a job offer in San Diego and has to be there to start on June 30th. We have 3 weeks to do all we can on our house and get it on the market - he leaves a week prior to his start date, then my kiddo and I will fly out when we finish getting things done here.

I suddenly feel anxiety at all that needs to be done, but this thread is really helping me to keep going! Thanks, all!

Old 05-30-2014, 07:53 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,519,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
I usually check out our local craigslist for price ranges.
Thanks --

And to everyone else, I am much much better today. And I won't wait until I collapse to go to the hospital or see a doctor. I used to be that way when I was younger and it never worked out well.

Hopefully tomorrow I can start back up on the getting ready to move chores. I at least need to get some car stuff done that just involves waiting in the dealer's lobby. (Oil change and tire rotation) and then I want to 3M clear coat the front of the car to minimize rock chips.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues