Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 04:34 AM

7,487 posts, read 8,002,323 times

Advertisements

Something you will want to keep in mind when packing that many books is the combined weight of all the boxes. Wherever you plan to put the boxes as you pack them will need to have a floor that can handle that much weight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2013, 07:21 AM

10,048 posts, read 18,064,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
I also marked them BOOKS and for the important ones "TOP LOAD" meaning up towards the ceiling of the truck not in the middle/bottom getting crushed.
This is the only part I would disagree with -- i.e., the TOP LOAD part. Books are really heavy so you DO NOT want to stack them on anything else -- only on each other. I have always stacked them (or had them stacked) at the back of the truck on the bottom -- they make a good, strong "platform" for lighter items.

OP, I've moved thousands and thousands of pounds of books from Berkeley to Ann Arbor (moved for grad school) and then from Ann Arbor to New Hampshire (moved for a job). It was expensive, but at least the second move (when I had many more thousands of pounds of books from grad school) I got reimbursed for!! I too have a very hard time parting with books, at least those I use for my job. I must say I have started to replace some of my "fun" books (e.g. popular novels) with Kindle versions as I have a 5-bedroom house and am still running out of room for all the books.

From one reader to another, best of luck with your move!

Last edited by karen_in_nh_2012; 11-19-2013 at 08:35 AM.. Reason: correct typo!

Old 11-19-2013, 07:51 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,948,491 times
If you're going to be buying boxes, do not go to Uhual or places like it. That is fine for a few, but you need more than a few. Look to box and packaging companies, such as Uline or even Bags Unlimited and get them bulk.

Old 11-19-2013, 07:58 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,339,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
i moved two huge bins of books, went from me to the book store, where i sold them all off. keeping books around the house was simply a waste for me. now a days i usually only keep one book around, once im done it goes back to the book store for trade in, then i pick up another one.
Not sure that I could ever give up my Great Books of the Western World volumes. These have always been a part of my life growing up. It is my goal to spend a few years just going thru them and obtaining one of the greatest educations available on the earth. On top of that the Harvard Classics should be in every persons library. These are both multy volume sets. The Great Books series is up to 60 volumes and I am not sure you can get them at the local book store.

Old 11-19-2013, 08:10 AM

3,169 posts, read 5,162,912 times
When I moved over 1000 miles away a few years ago I donated all of my books to the thrift store supporting abused women. I had a ton of books and I just couldn't justify transporting them nor leaving them in storage.

Old 11-19-2013, 08:46 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,074,570 times
"File" or "Bankers Boxes" is a good suggestion. A cheaper alternative is to use copy paper boxes. They are about the right size, reasonably strong, and with a good tape job they will work well.

I just moved several thousand books. Once again, leaving them behind was not an option. I had the local school save Copy Paper boxes for a couple of years and they worked very well.

Moving all those books seemed like a lot of excess weight, but in the overall scheme of things, it didn't amount to much. The mover appreciated that they were well boxed. He loaded em up, respecting that the heavier ones went on the bottom, and they all arrived in good shape.

It's not as big a deal as many might make it out to be. Good packing = good moving results. Tape, boxes marked, identified by room as to their new location. Just part of the process to the movers.

Old 11-19-2013, 11:25 AM

346 posts, read 550,605 times
I have a collection of comic books, including those big heavy hardcovers. When we moved houses recenctly, I packed the books in banker boxes and also printer paper boxes. Even using boxes that size, it was still 50+ (some close to 75+) pounds per box to move. At a thousand hardcovers (4 bookcases worth), it took about 35 bankers boxes. I had many regrets that moving day, but I couldn't part with my collection LOL!

Old 11-19-2013, 11:36 AM

19,436 posts, read 27,823,287 times
You won't believe me, but do consider Media Mail from the USPS. We shipped thousands of books to my brother from NC to Phoenix using this service. Deliveries took 2-4 weeks, but the average box was only $20-$25. Up to 70 pounds per box allowed. There are limitations on dimensions, and you can ONLY include books and tapes (and they will open the boxes to inspect them). Also, do not use boxes that have tons of print on the outside (like recycled grocery boxes) and especially don't use recycled wine boxes (which they won't take at all).

A very underrated service offered by the USPS.

BTW, we were able to pick up plenty of boxes for cheap or free on Craigslist. Used once and in nearly perfect condition.

Old 11-19-2013, 12:53 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,758,516 times
I agree with a lot of the above suggestions, but I'd add that anything really rare or fragile you should move personally. It may mean extra trips but is likely to be well worth it. Movers are unlikely to be respectful enough of anything marked "BOOKS."

Old 11-19-2013, 01:44 PM

415 posts, read 2,333,945 times
Just a thought, based on some of the information here, I an going to guess you will have around 150 boxes of books ( this is the 1.5 cubic ft book box ) at a weight of around 50 lbs each that would be about 7500 lbs of books, I would get a price from a mover on moving the entire house, then a second price without the books. You might be surprised to see how little the difference will be. The more weight you ship the less the price per pound. Might be worth your while to let the movers take everything rather than fight to move it yourself. I ran some very rough numbers 20,000 lbs from N. VA to S PA would cost around $6500.00, ( Transportation only ) take the books out ( 7500 lbs ) and the cost to move 12,500 lbs is about $4900.00 a difference of $1600.00 or about .089 cents per book.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues