Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2013, 09:01 AM

444 posts, read 820,390 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Personally, I like to deal with local businesses given the choice. But, I don't like the "trading companies" for long distance moves. Who are the "big moving companies"? Did you like them? What was your experience like? How "much" where you moving?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2013, 09:41 AM

415 posts, read 2,334,295 times
You will find the so called big companies, are for the most part small local businesses backed by a corporation. Such as the company I would for, we are a local mover in SC, with 5 offices, we have been in business since 1938. We are affiliated with a national van line. The separations comes as follows. All in state and local work is performed and backed by our local office. All the out of state work we do is performed by our local office, and backed by the National van line we represent.
The national carriers will move small shipments, I know the company I work for will move as little as 500 lbs any where in the country.

So with that here is a list of some of the major van lines, these are all national carriers with representation in every state.. and in most cases multiple offices.

1. United Van Lines
2. Mayflower Transit
3. North American Van Lines
4. Allied Van Lines
5. Atlas Van Lines
6. Bekins Moving and Storage
7. Wheaton Van Lines

These are the largest with the most representation and for the most part provide the best service.

Old 11-22-2013, 10:20 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,256,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkwing View Post
You will find the so called big companies, are for the most part small local businesses backed by a corporation. Such as the company I would for, we are a local mover in SC, with 5 offices, we have been in business since 1938. We are affiliated with a national van line. The separations comes as follows. All in state and local work is performed and backed by our local office. All the out of state work we do is performed by our local office, and backed by the National van line we represent.
The national carriers will move small shipments, I know the company I work for will move as little as 500 lbs any where in the country.

So with that here is a list of some of the major van lines, these are all national carriers with representation in every state.. and in most cases multiple offices.

1. United Van Lines
2. Mayflower Transit
3. North American Van Lines
4. Allied Van Lines
5. Atlas Van Lines
6. Bekins Moving and Storage
7. Wheaton Van Lines

These are the largest with the most representation and for the most part provide the best service.
I was told recently that Mayflower has bought United Van Lines. The person who told me had worked for United for many, many years. I forget how many but a long while. She'd been head of her department. When Mayflower bought them, she and others were all laid off.

That aside, I have used Mayflower several times and found them quite efficient and reliable. I've had only one problem with them and I have it every time I let them move me. I tell them right up front that I want them to do all the packing. Yes, it will cost me more but I want them to do it - all of it. The man who is arranging things will say "oh,yes, we can do that". Then, two or three days later, he'll show up with boxes and tell me to pack everything that is not breakable. When I protest, he'll just say "it's cheaper". True but I didn't ask for cheaper. They will not take no for an answer. I end up having to do the packing as they don't want to pay their staff to do it. When I do it, it's free for them.

If you can handle that route, watch out for one thing. The last time I moved (and only time this happened), the man brought me used boxes, many of which had obviously been out in the rain and some that had big holes in them. I do not recommend using boxes that someone else has used and I don't know who. Always before, I paid $1 a box for new ones. That is safest.

OK. Sorry for the negative comments but it really is only that one problem. If they promise to pack for you - or to do any other special request - make them put it in writing and sign it. On the whole, I do recommend Mayflower. They have never damaged anything and have stayed right on schedule all the way. All of their workers have always been very courteous and willing to go the extra mile for you - extra mile meaning, perhaps, to shove a heavy piece over from where they'd first set it - that sort of thing.

Old 11-22-2013, 10:23 AM

1,515 posts, read 2,274,000 times
We went with Allied Van Lines on a NJ to TX move in the middle of summer. I really shopped around and got quite a few quotes. Unfortunately, some of the more local ones in my area came with some very heavy baggage and scary stuff I read in reviews. I also got a number of quotes over the phone which I wasn't too comfortable with. Some wouldn't come to the house. One would have to ask them how the heck would they make a profit when their prices were so low. I was not willing to take a chance and have our stuff held hostage or lost some where. Some of the local companies I dealt with were almost stalky scary and I'm not exaggerating. I would get high pressure calls and one person got downright aggressive with me when I told him no. One company held some woman's belongings hostage and tried doubling the price. Scary.

After quite a few calls and quotes , I finally decided to go with a bigger company that had great reviews and good reputation. The level of professionalism was night and day from some of the smaller guys. We had a HUGE household shipment including a very expensive grand piano. I received a not to exceed price. Good thing too since our shipment was 3,000 lbs over their estimate which they ate and I didn't have to pay a cent. We paid 14k ish which was much higher than some of the low ball quotes but more in line of what I expected (our neighbors paid around that amount when they moved). They did most of the packing. However, I got supplemental insurance and arranged for some funky delays in delivery because our frickin' rental house wasn't available for occupancy so the moving company had to stall the shipment which added to costs.

Everything arrived in pristine condition aside from a cheap office chair that got lost in the warehouse. I really didn't want it back, lol so didn't press them. All in all a great experience during a highly stressful time. The costs were high but it was certainly peace of mind and I would do it again. Oh, and they really worked with me on dates. We were going thru a nightmare of closing on our house in NJ and trying to get in our rental. They were exceptional in dealing with my many changes, in spite of July being their peak moving month.

Old 11-22-2013, 10:28 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,079,579 times
I used North American for a regional move....about 300 miles, for a partial house...about 122 pounds.

The local affiliate was timely, clean, and very service oriented. Because I had a tiny load, it was part of a bigger shipment, and I had to wait a couple of weeks for the delivery to be made. Somehow a wooden shelf as part of a computer desk did not make it to my place, but because every one of my pieces was labeled and marked, a couple weeks later the wandering shelf showed up in my mail. Those are the sorts of things which distinguish good movers from the routine.

The local affiliates of any of the 'big' guns make all the difference. My Mayflower people might be great, while yours are dirty, have old equipment, and are just hanging on so they cut every corner possible.

BTW, the last major move I did I used a high quality local mover. He does plenty of long distance runs, and moved just under 25,000 pounds over 900 miles without a scratch. HIs service was over the top--two days to load; two days to travel; and one and a half to unload. Price was in line with 'major' company estimates, but the service was way better. For starters, the same crew that loaded the truck traveled with it and unloaded it. You won't get that service from a 'national' franchisee. They sometimes even go so far as to hire local day laborers to unload when they get to the destination.

All sorts of other factors involved. Read through this thread for many posts on what makes a good mover. There is a lot of good info in here.

Old 11-22-2013, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siggy20 View Post
We went with Allied Van Lines on a NJ to TX move in the middle of summer. I really shopped around and got quite a few quotes. Unfortunately, some of the more local ones in my area came with some very heavy baggage and scary stuff I read in reviews. I also got a number of quotes over the phone which I wasn't too comfortable with. Some wouldn't come to the house. One would have to ask them how the heck would they make a profit when their prices were so low. I was not willing to take a chance and have our stuff held hostage or lost some where. Some of the local companies I dealt with were almost stalky scary and I'm not exaggerating. I would get high pressure calls and one person got downright aggressive with me when I told him no. One company held some woman's belongings hostage and tried doubling the price. Scary.

After quite a few calls and quotes , I finally decided to go with a bigger company that had great reviews and good reputation. The level of professionalism was night and day from some of the smaller guys. We had a HUGE household shipment including a very expensive grand piano. I received a not to exceed price. Good thing too since our shipment was 3,000 lbs over their estimate which they ate and I didn't have to pay a cent. We paid 14k ish which was much higher than some of the low ball quotes but more in line of what I expected (our neighbors paid around that amount when they moved). They did most of the packing. However, I got supplemental insurance and arranged for some funky delays in delivery because our frickin' rental house wasn't available for occupancy so the moving company had to stall the shipment which added to costs.

Everything arrived in pristine condition aside from a cheap office chair that got lost in the warehouse. I really didn't want it back, lol so didn't press them. All in all a great experience during a highly stressful time. The costs were high but it was certainly peace of mind and I would do it again. Oh, and they really worked with me on dates. We were going thru a nightmare of closing on our house in NJ and trying to get in our rental. They were exceptional in dealing with my many changes, in spite of July being their peak moving month.
It is best to stay with the big companies simply because more is known about them and you can get access to that knowledge. I once used a small local company that was a dud. Another time, another local company gave top-notch service. You take your chances with the small ones. You can get facts with the larger ones. They cost more but your nerves don't get so frazzled.

Old 11-22-2013, 10:41 AM

415 posts, read 2,334,295 times
Here is the scoop, Mayflower was purchased by a Holding company called Unigroup in I believe 1993 or 1994. Unigroup also owns United Van lines, so United and Mayflower are both owned by the same holding company and while the are very similar in services and pricing, they still compete against each other.

The other part of this is Sirva, Sirva is the holding company that owns North American Van lines, Allied Van Lines and Global Van Lines. Again All these company still compete against each other, even though we are owned by the same holding company.

If you take a look at the amount of moving that is done each year, you will find that between Unigroup and Sirva the two holding companies do probably about 75% of the moves that are done each year.

All are very good companies with a high level of ethics and a desire to provide the moving public the best move possible. What it comes down to is the local agent that represents the Van Line. The local agent does the work and finding a quality local agent that is a representative of a major van line would be ideal for moving services....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
I was told recently that Mayflower has bought United Van Lines. The person who told me had worked for United for many, many years. I forget how many but a long while. She'd been head of her department. When Mayflower bought them, she and others were all laid off.

That aside, I have used Mayflower several times and found them quite efficient and reliable. I've had only one problem with them and I have it every time I let them move me. I tell them right up front that I want them to do all the packing. Yes, it will cost me more but I want them to do it - all of it. The man who is arranging things will say "oh,yes, we can do that". Then, two or three days later, he'll show up with boxes and tell me to pack everything that is not breakable. When I protest, he'll just say "it's cheaper". True but I didn't ask for cheaper. They will not take no for an answer. I end up having to do the packing as they don't want to pay their staff to do it. When I do it, it's free for them.

If you can handle that route, watch out for one thing. The last time I moved (and only time this happened), the man brought me used boxes, many of which had obviously been out in the rain and some that had big holes in them. I do not recommend using boxes that someone else has used and I don't know who. Always before, I paid $1 a box for new ones. That is safest.

OK. Sorry for the negative comments but it really is only that one problem. If they promise to pack for you - or to do any other special request - make them put it in writing and sign it. On the whole, I do recommend Mayflower. They have never damaged anything and have stayed right on schedule all the way. All of their workers have always been very courteous and willing to go the extra mile for you - extra mile meaning, perhaps, to shove a heavy piece over from where they'd first set it - that sort of thing.

Old 11-22-2013, 10:42 AM

1,515 posts, read 2,274,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
It is best to stay with the big companies simply because more is known about them and you can get access to that knowledge. I once used a small local company that was a dud. Another time, another local company gave top-notch service. You take your chances with the small ones. You can get facts with the larger ones. They cost more but your nerves don't get so frazzled.
Exactly. Ted Bear also makes a good point. Our local affiliate for Allied was top notch. Sometimes that is not the case and you have to really do your research.

Old 11-22-2013, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkwing View Post
Here is the scoop, Mayflower was purchased by a Holding company called Unigroup in I believe 1993 or 1994. Unigroup also owns United Van lines, so United and Mayflower are both owned by the same holding company and while the are very similar in services and pricing, they still compete against each other.

The other part of this is Sirva, Sirva is the holding company that owns North American Van lines, Allied Van Lines and Global Van Lines. Again All these company still compete against each other, even though we are owned by the same holding company.

If you take a look at the amount of moving that is done each year, you will find that between Unigroup and Sirva the two holding companies do probably about 75% of the moves that are done each year.

All are very good companies with a high level of ethics and a desire to provide the moving public the best move possible. What it comes down to is the local agent that represents the Van Line. The local agent does the work and finding a quality local agent that is a representative of a major van line would be ideal for moving services....
Thank you for catching us up on that. Good to have it straight. It must have been done in a way that made my informant think Mayflower was in charge. It doesn't take much in today's business world to confuse us all.

Old 11-22-2013, 11:25 AM

1,428 posts, read 1,406,580 times
I've dealt with North American when moving from TX to MD and Mayflower from MD to NC. I didn't have a choice with Mayflower because I was moving for a job and the company took care of the relocation. I thought both companies were very professional. I don't have big ticket items so I can't comment on that. NA was very affordable - $1900 to move 2, 1 bedroom apartments. This was back in 2006.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues