Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2013, 06:07 PM

175 posts, read 255,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
Dude, drugs are everywhere if you go searching for them. JUST DON'T DO IT.
Of course drugs and drug users are everywhere, hello! But my city doesn't have kidnappings by and is not a US "hub" for the Mexican drug cartels. Phoenix does/is.

Last edited by ALR4929; 12-14-2013 at 06:39 PM..

Old 12-14-2013, 08:54 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,178,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaRed View Post
Please be careful in the heat. I grew up in Palm Springs, and oftentimes people who are used to cold, rain and snow don't consider the heat to be "weather." I've recently moved to Washington, and I can tell you having 3 days during the summer get over 90 is MUCH different from highs of 120s with a LOW in the 80s. Drink lots of water, don't be overly active when it's over 100, and only walk the dogs early or late in the day. The ground will burn their feet.
I hear you on all accounts but Phoenix is rarely in the 120's.

This gives some idea on the heat - it's a VERY big deal if it hits 120:
http://www.azcentral.com/weather/art...ather-brk.html

Old 12-15-2013, 06:16 AM

641 posts, read 1,015,467 times
Do like many have done before and move to Florida for the weather and the "paradise" and realize everyone else had the same idea. Not only is this place overcrowded but wages are low, crime is high and the humidity is worse than you can imagine in the summer. There are multiple reasons moving for "weather" is a dumb idea. If you cant hack 2-4 months of winter weather then you def dont have a chance down here in regards to competitiveness (for jobs, schools, etc...)

Old 12-15-2013, 06:36 AM

18,837 posts, read 37,211,634 times
When I lived in Florida, it was cold in the winter, and the houses there, are not built for cold weather, that is for sure. Miserable wet cold. There is a huge difference between cold weather with zero humidity, and cold weather with 90% humidity!

In Vegas, it is amazing, that the morning can be so hot, watch your dogs feet, don't walk on hot pavement, some desert dwellers even have booties for their dogs feet to protect them from hot pavement.

Old 12-15-2013, 08:39 AM

13,572 posts, read 9,584,179 times
I moved to Ohio some decades ago, for work. While there’s a lengthy set of things that I regret about the move, the weather is the least of them. Why? Summers are hot and humid, winters and long, cold, bleak and dreary, fall/spring are incessantly rainy. Isn’t that awful? It is. But it’s not any more awful than the vast swath of the country from the foothills of the Appalachians through the Rockies.

America has (mostly) a continental climate. Places with mild and balmy winters have brutally scorching summers. Places with tolerable summers are plagued with 6 months of snow. Personally, I’m as miserable at 90F as I am at 20F. In my ideal climate, I could walk briskly down the street wearing a business-suit, without breaking into a sweat, or needing a hat or coat. I’d prefer a permanent 55 deg F, occasional drizzle and mix of sun/clouds. Where in America do we have that? San Francisco? Yes, I’d love to move there someday – maybe after retirement!

Old 12-15-2013, 02:42 PM

5 posts, read 21,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
In my ideal climate, I could walk briskly down the street wearing a business-suit, without breaking into a sweat, or needing a hat or coat. I’d prefer a permanent 55 deg F, occasional drizzle and mix of sun/clouds. Where in America do we have that? San Francisco? Yes, I’d love to move there someday – maybe after retirement!
San Diego. The highs are a bit higher than 55. You'd be looking at about 77-80 F for highs and probably not as much rain as San Francisco. It is beautifully mild all year.

I personally prefer it much warmer. I lived in San Fernando Valley for several years and loved the heat. I'm back in Boston now depressed and miserable. Thinking about making another move this winter and heading down to central Florida. I just cannot deal with the snow and cold. It makes me hate my life.

Old 12-15-2013, 03:22 PM

8,026 posts, read 4,707,460 times
When I decided to transfer with my company, there were three openings in three very different places. I grew up in Savannah so none of the choices were similar to what I was used to; I would be forced to get used to a new type of living condition. I felt like one of those clueless couples on House Hunters (minus the faux suspense).

My move was originally more about getting out of an intolerable working situation rather than an intolerable health situation. When people ask me why I left Savannah for South Florida I use the ready-made excuse (almost a cliché nowadays) that it was for better weather/lack of cold winters, even though South Georgia winters are hardly the stuff of Siberia or even Tennessee. In fact, if the job in Stuart had not been offered to me, I would not have batted an eye before looking at the Eastern TN option next, simply because it was about changing my location--getting out of a situation. It was more about "moving away from" than "moving to" something. In my case, I was lucky I got my first choice because it has all the good weather and very little of the "OMG!Murders!Gunshots!RunForYourLife!" stuff that so many people (on here and elsewhere) warned me about when mentioning this part of Florida. For me, my move was all about a better work environment, and the weather is just icing on the cake.

Old 12-15-2013, 04:09 PM

18,837 posts, read 37,211,634 times
Last job I had before this one, I would have taken a job anywhere.

Old 12-15-2013, 04:19 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,138,463 times
Weather, COMBINED WITH OTHER FACTORS like job opportunities, crime rate, cost of living, community life activities, and hot chic's are good reasons for me to move. Being 21 years old, I don't like the oppressive July heat & humidity (70 F lows ) we get in south jersey much and want to move somewhere colder to avoid that month's weather. But if doing so makes me lose out on all the other factors then I would not mind turning up my A/C and wearing less clothes to feel comfortable.

Thankfully, I have my dream town target set in mind and it has most of the characteristics I want. Blacksburg, VA could work on the hot Chic's portion a bit though , but that's outside my control.

Old 12-15-2013, 04:20 PM

9,478 posts, read 12,219,945 times
After spending the afternoon sitting in the sun in my bikini top I'd say the weather is a damn good reason to move. Its going to be in the 70s all week here. Its 15 and grey where I moved from.

No brainer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues