Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2013, 06:01 PM

6 posts, read 44,272 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I live in Texas right now, and wanted to buy a car. It seems end of year is the best time to buy a car, since dealers may provide more discounts to meet their year end targets.

I do not know for sure, but sometime during the first half of next year (say March), I may move to California.

If it was not for "end of year is best time to buy a car", I would just wait and buy if and when I move to CA.
However, if I do decide to buy now in TX, and then move to CA three months later, would I stand to lose money in any sense (sales/other taxes, double vehicle registration, etc)?

I also read CA may have more stringent emission standards, which might result in some extra costs on moving a TX car to CA.

Also, in general is it recommended to buy in a city where you live long term, so you are close to the dealer you bought it from, in case there any any problems with the car? Or, is it allowed to take the car to a dealership in any city (i.e., buy in TX, move to CA, take it to a dealer in CA in case there are any problems ?)

Thanks a lot !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2013, 06:07 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,575,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by js1982 View Post
I live in Texas right now, and wanted to buy a (new) car.
Do you NEED a (new) car now?
If you do... then get one and enjoy it and maybe for the drive to CA whenever that may be.

Quote:
...sometime during the first half of next year, I may move to California.
Cross that bridge if/when you get there.

Quote:
I also read CA may have more stringent emission standards...
Years ago it was more of an issue but do verify that you buy a "50 state" car. Linky

Old 12-19-2013, 06:12 PM

Thanks. I do need a new car, although I can wait sometime.

My main point was that buying at the end of the year is the best time to get a good price, which is why I am seriously contemplating right now, but am them worried about the trouble (if any ?) associated with moving it.

Old 12-19-2013, 06:18 PM

Thanks for the link also.

It seems that 50-state thing applies, only if you are a CA resident, and are buying a car from outside CA and bringing it in.

If, however, you are moving from another state, where the car was already registered, CA will accept your 49 state vehicle also.

"Does this Apply to Someone Moving to California?
If you are moving to California from another state, you may register a new 49-State vehicle if it was first registered by you in your home state, or for military personnel, in the last state of your military service. When applying for vehicle registration in California, you must provide evidence that the vehicle was registered."

Old 12-20-2013, 01:59 PM

1,884 posts, read 3,015,331 times
yes, you can register it in CA, but you will be paying the max required for the smog testing and repairs each year if your vehicle does not meet the emission test standard. Yes they do test, and if your vehicle fails you will pay to fix it each year. My grandma had a OR vehicle that would never pass so she paid a mechanic $500 each year (the max at that time in her county) to mess up the tune up and get it as close to passing as possible--it never passed--then go down the street and have a mechanic tune it up to run. The car is now back in OR with another grandchild. It was not worth the cost and hassle and the vehicle would never pass--it was not made to pass.

So, just so you know, the emissions requirements are different for each County in CA.

Old 12-23-2013, 09:32 PM

5,489 posts, read 6,098,153 times
If you are buying a new car the emissions shouldn't be much of a problem. I made that same move many years ago but I was in a cheap car I bought used in Texas and I remember holding my breath waiting to see if it passed. But you will have to pay more in registration (basically you will have to pay registration fees in both states) which may not be a huge amount compared wit hthe cost of the car, but it will be an upfront cost versus a capitalized cost. Also, one important factor that you haven't shared is how you plan to make the move. If you will be paying to have the car shipped, I understand that can be expensive, although I've never done it myself. On the other hand, if you would otherwise have to rent a vehicle to make the move, then that would be savings that you need to consider in the equation.

Old 12-31-2013, 06:04 PM

846 posts, read 1,875,816 times
Quote:
Thanks. I do need a new car, although I can wait sometime.

My main point was that buying at the end of the year is the best time to get a good price, which is why I am seriously contemplating right now, but am them worried about the trouble (if any ?) associated with moving it.
one of the best deals I ever got was end of 1st quarter 2007 on a 2006 Ford...AutoNation gave me the best. deal. ever. (meaning my local dealer told me I was not being honest with them and after we showed them the paperwork they said that the price I got the car for was less than what they could buy it for)....

anyway...there will always be a good deal...especially if you are not in a hurry. Good luck on your future and happy new year!

Old 01-01-2014, 01:22 AM

1,237 posts, read 1,941,906 times
Quote:

I also read CA may have more stringent emission standards, which might result in some extra costs on moving a TX car to CA.
CA emission requirements aren't that bad. Newer vehicles all conform to their requirements. When I lived in CA, I had no issues getting an 07 GMC Sierra with 130k to pass on the first attempt. It costs about fifty bucks annually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues